Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 338

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 504832 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4755 on: November 27, 2021, 09:00:44 pm »

I was with someone who had very long fingernails, and they needed to trim them.  But there wasn't a nail-clipper around.  So, to be helpful, I went to trim their nails using my nails.

Their nails were *really* long though, and painted, and I immediately worried that I was doing something very weird.  Which I was.  I'm still not sure whether normal people commonly trim their nails using their other nails, like I usually do, but it was clearly inappropriate for me to do so on these manicured and painted nails- which happened to be attached to another person.

I think my goodwill was appreciated, though, despite the awkwardness.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: November 27, 2021, 09:11:21 pm »

you can do that?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: November 27, 2021, 09:39:29 pm »

Yeah, ah- I don't know, I've always done it.  I assume ancient people must have done it too.  When a nail gets uncomfortably long, I just put another nail (usually forefinger, or thumb) against the side of it and saw a little.  That makes a divot, and then I... carefully... push in, slicing off a segment of nail.  It doesn't take much pressure.  The trick is to avoid slicing too shallowly, which can expose under-nail skin.  Uncomfortable.

It's not a particularly clean cut so I have to kinda rub at it for a while, cat-like, until the nail stops catching on stuff.

I also use clippers but it's just a thing I do when I'm bored and notice my nails are annoying me.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: November 28, 2021, 04:18:26 am »

I thought ancient people would have just bit them off?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: November 28, 2021, 08:30:56 am »

I dreamt of being in a house, right on the ocean.  I could see massive ocean swells out the window in a large bay, about 50 ft tall.  The swells got closer and closer, and turquoise waves started hitting the house, going completely over the top of the window.  No water was leaking in, it was just really cool to watch as the view of the bay was periodically blocked by being under water.  But then some Arnold Schwarzenegger zombies, about 7 of them, started staggering toward the garage entrance from the other side of the house.  I yelled at someone to "lock the door!" but they left it ajar as they came inside, completely unconcerned.  I raced to the garage and tried to close and lock the door quickly, but 1 of the Schwarzeneggers had reached the door and had his arm already inside so I couldn't close it.  I struggled to push back at the door, blocking it with my foot, then retreated back inside, locking the door going out to the garage.  Running to my room, I grabbed a .40 cal rifle and rummaged for some ammo.  The ammo, though plentiful, was really weird.  The bullet tip was very small, and had a hook shape on it, while the cartridge was absolutely massive.  I could only bolt-action load a single shot at a time.  I familiarized myself with how that worked as I waited and hoped the door would hold...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4760 on: November 28, 2021, 12:09:25 pm »

I thought ancient people would have just bit them off?
Lord knows. Half the answers to "how did Ancient people deal with this" is that they didn't. Stuff like having to deal with dentistry is just not something humans had to worry about until they invented agriculture and suddenly had to deal with a regular diet full of sugars

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: December 25, 2021, 08:30:33 am »

I was participating in a cooperative VR game for five players based on the 5 Magic the Gathering colors.  It was heavily inspired by the computer game Sacrifice, with each player interacting with a patron deity and receiving boons and personal missions appropriate to their color.  So there was a competitive aspect, but the team ultimately would pass or fail together.  And the game was very difficult towards the end, as certain of the personal missions and narrative events would force the players to make tricky moral decisions.  It was designed to offer factionalism and great personal powers, but require ultimately cooperation.

I think we were allowed to deal with other patrons to get mixed powers, which added to the intrigue.  I was building a mix of black and blue which were giving me edgy time-reversal powers.  Like I could try a thing, then had about ten seconds to roll the decision back.  It was a little abstract but a lot of times demons or visions would helpfully appear, giving me clues.  There was something REALLY bad that could happen to me personally if I missed an obscure warning sign. 

I had, unusually, played through the game once before.  I was limited in what I was allowed to reveal to the others, naturally.  I had played a white/bluegreen role before, subtly supporting a normal-appearing NPC with incredible end-game potential.  There was something sinister about it though, particularly how I had to carefully hide my efforts from my fellow players.  I was essentially playing against them despite playing a very "support" build.  I think as a result we lost but I "won", which could be why I was the only repeat player.

My dad was around for this second round, which was... interesting.  I think he was playing mono-blue and was in that awkward role of playing an advanced class as a newbie.  He was doing pretty great at the meta though, being a bit humble and cooperating. 

As the only veteran player, and everyone knowing that, I was in a weird spot.  I was supposed to help the others learn how to play, while absolutely not revealing the actual victory goals or spoil the semi-random plot events.  I couldn't tell them to cooperate, only be (and appear) cooperative and hope people emulated me.

The dream ended while building to something rough.  The setting had switched from magical superpowers to more mundane team-building exercise, or well... Danganronpa, in some ways.  Far from such an explicit killing-game, but people were really distrustful of each other.  Dad and I were meta-cooperating which was definitely improper, but the others were too tangled in their own intrigues to really notice.  And I still wasn't spoiling the "twists" for him.  I was just getting really quiet and withdrawn, because we were about to face a challenge that I was phobic of.  I wasn't actually sure if I could face it again, and my panic was unraveling the dream and letting me out. 

He didn't ask what was coming, just where I had found the strength to persevere.  And that sorta sucked because the answer was a certain something I was fully allowed to talk about, and had, but apparently I can't properly communicate it to him.

So wow...  Sacrifice and its MtG-esque faction system, a little Umbrella Academy, and a surprising amount of Dave Strider doomed-timeline-skirting.  Briefly my dad was playing as literally The Flash which uh, is... ironic.  I also skipped a bit where we zailed the zee as a crew.  Ending up on a literal roller coaster for the last part, but a roller coaster by the ocean.

I can't believe I would have forgotten all of this if I hadn't woken up thinking:  "Dangit that game doesn't exist yet!  Except wait... why was it so important that I was the only repeat player?  That's from something real... oh wow, dangonronpa of all things.  Dangonronpa with only five players but they stick around."
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: December 26, 2021, 09:04:55 am »

I was a fresh lawyer working with a sorta-girlfriend from law school on some sort of mob case.  We were working under my dad, he kept encouraging us to date, it was a thing.  More importantly we had the case pretty much cracked, but we needed to engineer some damning proof.  Very crime-procedural, not even Phoenix Wright does entrapment I don't think.  Basically dad's plan was for us to get captured while wearing wires, then we'd get rescued of course.

Well somehow, it worked.  We trespassed at the mob safehouse until they captured us and drove us around, talking about villain stuff.  We ended up around the base of a mountain the two of us enjoyed walking at, where we were rescued by a really confusing low-speed pursuit with car-hopping hijinks.  It was clever enough that Legal Eagle did a video on it- yes, he cameo'd in my dream, doing an analysis of our rescue.  <3

I guess under dream-logic it was a good plan because we were able to win the case!  Things got a bit dark here though.  The whole gunpoint thing had been rough, and my friend stopped associating with us (reasonable response).  I had a hard time finishing the legal/courtroom work.  I insisted on still taking walks up the mountain, remembering my friend and trying to work stuff.  One day I was pretty sure I heard her walking the climb behind me.  Near the peak I finally turned around - it was a mob fixer, apparently out on bail.  We recognized each other at the same time.  He toyed with me, asking for some cash or something, and I played along... letting me open my phone and call a random person on my contact list!  It was my dad, and I had to talk over him quite rudely to let him know the situation.  Apparently I was invited to another birthday party or something.  The fixer was kicking himself for letting me get to the phone, because now he couldn't just kill me.  Taking me hostage again was still on the cards though. 

We changed scenes to the law offices for some reason, with police moving up the building to us.  The fixer had a plan:  if I was armed, the cops would kill me and he'd escape in the confusion!  So he gave me his gun.  I threw it out a window and got "captured" by a himbo in improper cop uniform.  Foiled!

Everything was back to zaniness now.  The fixer either used a ninja technique or just had two friends, either way there were three mob fixers with grenade launchers and... eevee cosplay.  Like, vaporeon/flareon/jolteon jumpsuits, and they were shooting pokeballs.  I borrowed my himbo's grenade launcher (similarly loaded for Ursarine) and we had an epic game of dodgeball.  There were slow-mo mid-air pokeball collisions, they kept RP'ing that they had status effects for some reason, it was very silly.  Eventually I managed to bop them with pokeballs and they turned themselves in because that's what conviction to cosplay is all about.

so yeah some tone shifts there.  Even the worst bits were more "dramatic" than actually traumatic, though, since it was emulating mass-produced crime procedurals.  They're soooo dumb and harmful to society, but my mom and I enjoy them anyway.

I know these writeups are poorly structured but I'm just kinda excited to be dreaming again, and writing them down feels really good for some reason.  I think that trying to describe them for others helps me contextualize them socially, which is an important layer of analysis.
She/they

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: December 26, 2021, 03:08:36 pm »

I was hungry, so I went to McDonalds and ordered some fries.

I took out my wallet and reached for my Visa card, but realized that I had been using it a lot recently, so instead I took out my Discover card(I don't own a Discover card in the waking world) and dropped it on the counter, asking the cashier if they take Discover. The Cashier agreed that they do take Discover, but then he reached under the counter and took out one of those oversized radiation suits, which he donned. The cashier then picked up a phone, a land-line, and spoke to someone in hushed whispers for several minutes; he never took his eyes off the card the whole time.

Finally he hung up the phone, went and got a sleeve of fries, and a cart. He put the fries on the cart, then very carefully picked up my Discover card and also put that on the cart. He wheeled the cart outside, to a small outdoor table at the far side of the parking lot. The cashier and I both sat down at the table, and he watched me eat my fries. When I was finished the cashier stood up and said "Thank you for choosing McDonalds, please don't come again". He went back inside; I got in my car and went home.

They never actually charged me. And I think I left my Discover card in that parking lot...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: December 27, 2021, 03:18:19 am »

Sounds like the dream was telling you that a Discover card is a dangerous thing to own.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: December 27, 2021, 12:25:19 pm »

Dangerous, yet powerful...
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4766 on: January 08, 2022, 04:12:45 am »

I dreamt that Bay 12 games had cancelled Dwarf Fortress. At first it was just a rumor I heard, and I couldn’t confirm it, first I couldn’t get a good internet connection, then I got interrupted by people and had to do other things (like taking a warped train/metro back and forth), and conversing with people from back in middle school. Some of these people would ask/talk about Dwarf Fortress, since they would have heard about it being cancelled. I also woke up a couple of times during all this, due to my alarm being set on snooze, but after each time I fell asleep again an the theme of ”Dwarf Fortress has been cancelled” remained, so I became convinced I had woken up and this was really the truth.

The forums/Bay 12 website were also strange, at some point overloaded so I couldn’t open them, but when I did manage to with the layter it was like an infinite landscape, stretching away in a long strip like when you pass in with a train. There were some textboxes too, but they were seen in like planes in perspective, stretched away towards a vanishing point at the horizon. So I couldn’t read them. I felt the website was this weird because DF had been cancelled, and there was no point having it left. The forums were also weird, they looked even older (somehow) and were constantly a little too zoomed in. They had also been downsized, with only a few subforums (or threads!) all in all. Somehow I knew this smaller uglier forum was it having reversed to how ”it originally was”.

After many ifs and buts, I found something like a livestream with Tarn in it. In the game, Tarn’s character would move around, at first in a grid-based system, then in some kind of pixelly isomorphism. First he walked around in an overworld, with some goblins/orcs and having to flee from them (actually, this overworld/grid-based part might have been even earlier, and lead to non-related parts, with the DF theme later resurfacing). At this point I thought it might be DF, though the graphics were different, the concepts of following/fleeing from ’*’ glyphs on the world map still existed. In a later part, he walked in a pixel-art dungeon. It had elements that are not in DF, like televisions (of the non-flatscreen kind) that were ”psychic and caused by aliens” or ”caused by psychic aliens”. In this section, which looked like some kind of dump zone, Tarn’s character (who was increasingly ”me”) had to fight or flee from some kind of boss or special character, but I don’t remember what it was. I don’t think it was an alien, but something more mundane (for DF) like a goblin warlord. In any case this section ended with stepping into a helicopter, and getting out of there. I understood it as some kind of fast travel, since the parts between this section of the game and the next part were unfinished.

With the helicopter, tvs and non-grid based movement, I was now sure this was a new game. It was kind of unclear why, if Dwarf Fortress had transformed into this game after a change in development requiring it, or someting in DF development going wrong causing DF to be cancelled and this was a side project that was picked up instead. I flipped to the first page of the forum thread I was on, and concluded the new game was called ”BlauBlau”, though as the live stream was not finished people were not sure what it was about. I went back to the stream, and now it was 3D isometric, in a sort of blocky style. Tarn explained (or I concluded) that what was prieviously was a kind of ”loot round” and now that loot was used to upgrade/maintain our base. As Tarn’s character exited the base the perpective turned into first-person and the character fully into ”me”.

The base turned out to be a small outhouse, as I wandered around I found it was part of a Hotel Resort in the woods. The resort was a long white wooden building with a slight curve to it, lots of windows and maybe one or two floors. I wondered at first why the base was only the outhouse and not the rest of the resort, but the resort was dark with no one there, and I realized that was the goal, to be able to light up and use the whole resort. For now there were ”zombies” there. Then I saw the first zombie. The size of a small child, it was black and white (like marzipan dipped in chocolate). Its proportions were not really human, rather like a clay figurine, and it might have been hovering. Somehow it was oozing black goo. I slashed or punched it, and started to hurry towards the outhouse. There was another adult-sized zombie on the way, I slashed once, and then another more similar to a human. I fled into a corridor leading towards my goal, but they were onto me. There was a door, but to shut it I had to close a clasp, and the zombies were reaching in. I had to cut off an arm or something like that to do it.

The more humanlike zombie was smarter. It talked somehow, though it might not have been with words, and it might not have been more sophisticated than ”I’ll get you”. These zombies were not the kind that became weaker when damaged. Instead, their mutilated bodies would warp and stretch. They also knew this. Somehow the zombies had made a hole in the wall. They could not get through it, but the smart zombie put its face against the hole and its tongue stretched out and into the room. I cut it off. Then the smart zombie did something to the other, like cutting its head off. That way something new could warp and stretch from its neck, a warped skull thing, through the hole. This also happened to the cut off arm, flesh emerged from it, lumpy and red. At the end it also looked like it had a face (and not a hand). These two reached through the hole in whe wall, and expanded, spiraling out to fill the room and engulf me. The sound, and the horror, and the stretchy warpiness felt like they explained the name ”BlauBlau” (onamatopoetic rather than german). It was how it felt when that happened.

Then I woke up, and hurried to find up parts were not true, that DF had not been cancelled. Got a little stressed when someone (a spammer) had posted something in the announcement forums. But everything was well, and I started writing this down.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: January 08, 2022, 04:18:07 pm »

The day DF is cancelled is the day it is finally finished.

Or when something extremely catastrophic happens. Like, an XK Class scenario.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: January 08, 2022, 05:31:47 pm »

I had a strange dream that I was in the dark future where Skynet had taken over, except I was at a wedding.  At a church.  Like normal.

I never saw any terminators, but a strangely designed limousine drove up and for some reason I thought it belonged to Skynet.  As I was running inside to warn everyone, Rodney Dangerfield climbed out and shouted something about getting no respect.

Weird how I "knew" I was in the Terminator universe without ever seeing any terminators or HKs, but a lot of my dreams are like that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4769 on: January 12, 2022, 11:56:16 am »

I was going down to the old school canteen for lunch, with the size, stature and school uniform I wore when I was a schoolboy. Already I was struck with confusion because I never ate at the canteen, and wasn't sure what I was looking for. I greeted some fond acquaintances and left them be, wandering around whilst the others ate.

I descended down the many levels until I found the below ground gym/drama area. There I found an even older friend Faisal, who did not go to the school in my dreams. When caught by a particularly aggressive and acerbic PE teacher Faisal tried to take the fall for me, claiming it was just him there, but alas I got caught anyways. Instead of accepting his scorn, I grew incensed that he was using homophobic and racist language to denigrate my good friend, and stormed out to report him at once. Whilst he was flummoxed and tried to discredit us, I was too insistent that this be escalated that he was forced to run away. My friend Faisal walks away thanking me for having his back, when I thought just then, I don't think I was good enough. I realised then I was dreaming, and none of this made sense. Faisal walked away and when I looked to follow him, he was already gone. Everyone walked by in their usual routine but I was sure this was just a memory. I was sure I had not worn this uniform in many years, and cast its blazer away.

In previous lucid dreams I had always been able to shape the dream as I willed it, so I tested my boundaries - trying to forcibly change the scene of my room to another room. But I could not do it this time. Closing my eyes, staring at the wall and expecting to turn around and see the room I wanted, I was bound by the layout of the school I knew. I tried jumping to the other side of a glass window, even striking it with my hand - the blow made no sound, no movement or damage, despite impacting exactly as I thought it should. Everyone kept walking by me to their own expected routines, at one point I caught myself following a familiar classmate to their lesson only to scorn myself for falling deeper into this sleep.

Despite repeated stressful attempts, all attempts at controlling the dream beyond what I could move with my own imagined body ended in failure. I spoke to a man who seemed like an old English teacher of mine, one who passed away. On closer inspection they were not them, but were a mixture of faces of people I knew, and admitted they were not my old English teacher. I said I knew that too, but would appreciate it very much if they stayed with me regardless, as I was very lost and needed to get out of this dream. They agreed, saying they would very much like that too.

Not knowing how to control the dream's setting, I decided to set forth for the setting's front exit. It lay down a staircase from the hallway I was on, but the way was barred by a sorcerer. This sorcerer would not stop accosting me and trying to turn me back with evil spells, and seemed completely immune to all words, reason or violence. At one point I threw him down four flights of stairs, only to hear him get back up on the ground floor and resume his ascent. My companion at this point tells me he is a sentient magical weapon who can deal with the sorcerer, but if he takes the form of the weapon he will not be able to hold human form for a long while again. I ask him if he minds making the sacrifice, but he says he prefers his natural form, he just doesn't want to be left lying around with no weilder. Turning into a trident, I am worried for a moment that my friend is gone, but they continue speaking despite being a magic fork. Striking the sorcerer with the trident yields results; the sorcerer finally dies and I break his staff in two over my knee.

As I'm about to leave, I realise we're making a mistake. If I leave out the front exit, we'll enter a recurring nightmare I've had in the past. I don't know what form of armageddon it'll take, but leaving that way is always a nightmare to deal with, and I don't want to deal with it when I'm lucid but unable to change the scene. The trident and I decide to try another exit, and when we leave are pleased to find it's an ordinary day with the thousands of faceless business people going about their fake commutes. The trident asks me what next, and I tell him we're going to find a river crossing so I can go home and wake up. We keep following the river until I find a bridge and keep going until I hear someone coughing. I tell them that it's time for me to leave them, which is when I wake up
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 338