Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 338

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 497563 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4410 on: February 09, 2020, 06:26:06 am »

Had a dream I was in a megamall, with its design being some kind of hybrid between a SE London, Kuala Lumpur and Beijing shopping supercomplex. Everything was fairly ordinary shopping until fucking zombies attacked. Nevertheless we had a plan to stockpile supplies on the sparsely-traversed and easily defendable 5th floor using supplies we hastily grabbed from the 4th floor groceries supermarket. Whilst everyone is grabbing water, knives, hatchets, toilet paper, food and such, I'm grabbing gargantuan bottles of vodka. One of my m8s starts criticising me for the bad prioritising, I tell her I'm not going to drink it, it's for molotovs!

So with 5 big bottles of vodka I run up to the escalator leading up to the 5th floor. Looking down I see the first floor is a scene of pandemonium, just full of zombies moving up to the 2nd floor. As I look up to the 5th floor, I see people running down the wrong side of the escalator screaming about zombies. "No fair" I thought, seeing all of our supplies cut off by ridiculous sums of zombies. Seeing no time to escape and zombies running down the right side of the escalator whilst I was still stuck on the wrong side, I grabbed a kid with bodacious curly hair and leaped off the escalator onto the one below, moments before we were both grabbed by damn zambies. Also all my vodkas shattered on the floor, but that didn't matter anymore.

With zambies attacking the 4th and 2nd floor we went to the 3rd floor and bolted for the shop farthest away from the escalators, taking over a small Japanese store full of cooking utensils & sauces, quickly pulling the curtains down and pressing the button to lower the metal shutters. With the four of us inside, the sounds of carnage outside, we desperately hoped none of the zombies would wander through the paper-thin curtain before the metal shutter SLOWLY finished lowering.

After a painful 10 seconds, the shutter lowered just fine. Then the zombie horde started wailing on the shutter, and the shutters were buckling like a fence in a tornado. Luckily the store had a fire-escape so we all bolt. Problem is, all of the doors are not fucking labeled and there are multiple doors, so it's like walking through a maze of doors. This is a problem because the zombies sound like they've broken into the shop and there are zombies everywhere else in the mall, so we're half expecting to find them in the fire escape stairway too. When we come to a fork in the hallway, half of us decide to take the door to our right, the other half keep going forwards.

The door to the right goes down a staircase, which I hope means bringing us closer to ground level and out of the fucking megamall, whilst I worry the fire escape going forwards is just going to lead to more zombie'd stores. As we go down the staircase for a bloody long time, the sound of zombies behind us, it becomes readily apparent that we are not on ground level, but really far below it.
Fear that we were walking deeper into a dead end, we pressed forward when we saw signs detailing this was a shelter - dreams of strong doors, supplies for years.

Quickly we open the door and one of my friends and the child I nabbed quickly jump in. It's apparent there is only space for two, at which point the "shelter" ejects through a tunnel into daylight like some yellow UFO pod. Quickly climbing through the claustrophobic tunnel after my friends, I arrive at ground level to find they are long gone, and there are zombies everywhere. The zombies are kept at bay by a robot and an ayyylien, who explain this is all just population control measures and that my friends would be safe. We however, were on our own. The two left us and we quickly scurried away to hide from the zombies.

Our efforts to hide went exceptionally well, especially after we found a lot of the zombies had no eyes and needed to hear you. That is when my colleague loudly announced they can't see us... And so they did. Queue great running through the city until we reached the forest, exhausted but very alive

*EDIT
Tonight's dream I had whilst listening to the sounds of the storm outside, all in all, it was a really good night's sleep. I dreamed I was on the alien's world with the rest of the humans who had been taken from Earth, where we were all waiting in what looked like a giant, pristine and sterile airport environment. Tons of sleek white material that felt ceramic to the touch on every surface, with very few edges to speak of in the architecture - they did like their smooth surfaces.

We were being processed very calmly by an AI kiosk who was rather excited to see us, who it described as "new items." I told the kiosk I did not want to be described as a new item, the kiosk queried why not? Because it was an item and happy to be one. I said nevermind. The kiosk gave me a bunch of clothes which all turned out to be a school uniform, one you might give to juveniles. I asked the kiosk if it knew the difference between adult and child humans, the kiosk said no.

The kiosk explained that the ayyyliens did not have culturally significant stages of development; juvenile spawn were treated as unready adults. I replied that perhaps the kiosk did understand after all! The kiosk replied, that it was unsure what I meant. Nevertheless I explained to the kiosk that the clothes it had given me were meant for a child on Earth, which the kiosk said was a problem, as it had only made school uniforms. Millions of them.

I soon saw what the kiosk meant as I entered the post-processing atrium of the ayylien airport into what amounted to an ayyylien duty-free shopping and leisure area, where I could see thousands of humans mingling amongst the ayyyliens. Some were ancient, some were very young, babes even. All were wearing the bloody school uniforms. I joked with this one lady that it had a very humbling effect, like a great leveler. The ayyyliens themselves were curious of us, as we were of them. As far as I could tell they did not possess eyes, or at least anything I could discern as eyes.

They were tall with white, leathery-skin. Some of them had a blueish tint to their skin, whilst for others their skin was purplish - like the colour of veins under an albino's dermis. They had four orifices in the lower-middle section of their head; all four were used for smelling and breathing, but two also doubled up as primary and secondary mouths. They were arrayed like a T-shape:

They also had two mammal-like ears recessed into their head. Their hearing was supposedly amazing, with a retractable membrane for when we got too loud for them :[
I later learned from them that they possessed a tonal language. Their language consisted entirely of vowels, with the differences in tone being extremely important. Stressed, unstressed. Long or short vowels. The melody they formed being the thing which captured the meaning. This made translating what neither side of us recognised as words very difficult, but the kiosk tried its best to help. Wandering more still, I found what looked to be some kind of recreational garden, densely spotted with these sharp, triangular pillars that reached from floor to ceiling. They stretched on for as far as I could see, disappearing into a forest of obelisks. When the wind blowed through the sound it created was like a music box made of pipes, the wind catching on each pillar and resonating in the spaces between them. The kiosk began explaining how the pillars were singing the story of the ayyyliens constructing the airport, which sounded very mundane. But in the wind - how beautiful the melody was!

Eventually they let us loose on their planet. I myself chose to reside by an artificial canal that was full of what approximated a frog and thousands of tadpoles. I am unsure if they were related to the alien reproductive cycle, because one of the aliens was swimming in the canal, half-submerged, evidently guarding them. Perhaps they were pets? Livestock? Unsure.
I sat by the canal with the pleasantly warm sun overhead. Eventually the alien came closer to inspect me and I offered my hand to them as a handshake - they just booped by finger with theirs and retreated back to the middle of the canal. Later they sat by me and tried to speak, as did I. I tried my best to copy the sounds they made, not knowing what I was saying, knowing only that I could convey the intent to communicate. The alien seemed pretty expressive for a creature without eyes. After they returned to their frog canal I watched for a while longer before the dream ended
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:49:28 am by Loud Whispers »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: February 10, 2020, 08:47:25 am »

I was walking down a street at night, but it was pretty bright out. There wasn't anyone about, but it was not dangerous. People here have companions, the embodiment of their emotions. I gazed into a ground-level room, a living room with glass doors open to the street. A miserable girl my age sits inside. She looks like Zimmy from Gunnerkrigg Court. There is a tall, shadowy bipedal standing over her. I saw a glimpse of a rainbow on it, sometimes. I told her about this. She was skeptical that there is any color in her Melancholy.

To prove it to her, I tried to spy on it while it is distracted. I entered and adjoining building and tried to astrally project through the wall to see the Melancholy. I found myself at a Dream Club instead. This is where people come to have fun by shaping their shared dreams. Its popularity has even eclipsed virtual reality.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: February 14, 2020, 06:49:38 am »

Some girl wearing a green apron threw me a cookie, and I decided to try catching it in my mouth to amuse her.
I leapt up like some ungainly seal-type creature, grabbing for the tasty projectile with my mouth, and wound up with it somehow balanced on the side of my face. I kept my head at that unnatural angle as I sat back down, the cookie still perched there.
Can't remember quite what her reaction to this display of silliness was, but I don't think it was entirely unfavourable.

...That is the sum total of what I remember from last night's dreams. I'm sure there was a lot more, since I believe I didn't get a whole lot of undisturbed sleep, but there you go. Actually, on that note, I think I might place a notebook nearby when I go to bed shortly, that I might scribble up a quick recount of my dreams should the mood take me in the morning.   

Edit: P.S. Woody Guthrie sucks.   

Edit2: oh wait, yeah, at some point I also dreamt that an old favourite band of mine had reformed and were releasing an album. That was a bit disappointing to wake up from, haha.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:22:27 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: February 14, 2020, 10:46:32 pm »

I was in my kitchen repeatedly stepping on knives. Not in a way that would hurt, but imagine if you just laid a few knives on the ground and stepped on them so as not to hurt yourself. This went on for what felt like several hours, whereupon I looked into the sink and saw a disembodied goat head looking right at me. It opened its mouth and I heard my alarm clock, which immediately woke me up.

It's been a while since a dream confused me so much.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: February 16, 2020, 01:09:14 pm »

Dreamed I was flying Air Force One for some reason, with the understanding that something had happened to the pilot and it was up to me to land the plane.

I ended up landing it in the parking lot of the airport, missing all of the parked cars through clearly impossible means, all while cars proceeded past the plane on the roads as if nothing was amiss.

I never saw the president, so I guess I was just repositioning the plane or something.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: February 17, 2020, 03:04:59 am »

I dreamt last night that Toady posted a critique of GaW. This was treated as a normal thing, as though Toady just went around posting critiques of Forum Games all the time.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: February 17, 2020, 07:11:34 am »

What does GaW stand for?

My dream was a completely fake LastWeekTpnight episode where the narrator talked about a guy who asked for numbers but the *correct* answers were part of zero, so a number greater than zero was o

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: February 17, 2020, 07:57:07 pm »

I dreamt last night that Toady posted a critique of GaW. This was treated as a normal thing, as though Toady just went around posting critiques of Forum Games all the time.
That would be fun and also terrifying.
Toady senpai notice me.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: February 18, 2020, 11:37:24 am »

I had a dream that someone jealous of my hair shaved off most of it.  That... sucked.  I literally reached up and felt it when I woke up, and was greatly relieved/almost surprised it was still there.  I'd been considering getting a haircut, but this went way too far.

Much more pleasantly, I dreamed I was piloting a little spaceshuttle on Luna, along with a lot of other people.  It was a very tricky and seemingly realistic experience, kinda Kerbal-like but with more fuel.  Eventually I landed such that it was like laying down in an empty field and staring at the starry sky. 

The feeling of vastness, of being unanchored, was present but bearable, and the view was worth it.  Earth was in the center of my vision, full of detail, as were various slowly-drifting lunar satellites.  Habitats with modular agri-domes connected by tubes.  Their motion was almost imperceptible, but they seemed to rotate for "gravity".  Smaller satellites, or ships, adjusted orbits occasionally for unknown reasons.  It was kinda Kessler-esque, and part of why our jobs as pilots were difficult.  I was able to see a little parallax when shifting my head back and forth, so some of these things weren't all that far away.

I was discussing all this with other pilots over the radio, when I noticed a planetary body emerging from behind the Earth.  Initially I thought it was another moon somehow, but obviously it had to be much larger than Earth even though it appeared much smaller.  It was lush and green from what I could tell, possibly of a single artificial biome.  A "gaia world" without even oceans, very unnatural.

I'm probably being too analytical and it was supposed to be a second Luna-sized moon, and it being so visible was just dream-logic.  It was a little eerie, though.  Reminds me of the dreams where I'm on Earth but a planet or gas giant is slowly filling up the sky.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: February 18, 2020, 12:46:03 pm »

Initially I thought it was another moon somehow, [...]

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: February 18, 2020, 09:33:30 pm »

Heyo!

And it was rad as hell, but probably too rad, it was scary.  Grand emptiness, celestial bodies threatening Earth.  Typical stuff, but maybe I can't even, for just a little while??

And the headshaving thing.  Like... nn.

Dreaming is awesome and I'm glad I do it, but it sure comes at a cost.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: February 19, 2020, 05:16:13 pm »

There was some order of folks who trained to harness certain powers in order to fight demons or something, but the process made them (or their life force?) more and more tasty to said demons, as well as any of a variety of evil creatures who fed on human flesh/energy.
Unfortunately I don't remember more, a lot of interesting stuff went on in that dream.   

One other dream-snippet I remember was a guy playing some fiercely competitive Battle Royale game. Not sure if it was a stream or a recording or what, but I was watching. A teammate of his had just been gunned down and he (and his remaining teammates) knew the killer was still lurking/camping nearby, waiting to catch them out.

This dude crept up to the scene, prone, then dropped a gas can (PuBG style) before casually dropping a primed grenade (certainly not PuBG style, where you can only throw them) and moving to crouch on his friend's body, acting as though he was trying to hide by clipping through the corpse.
The camper quickly gunned him down from where he waited just a short distance away, then rushed over to loot the bodies. He was bobbing up and down grabbing stuff as the spectators watched, then suddenly exploded as the grenade went off.
I'm assuming he was the last of his squad (or this game worked differently to the average IRL Battle Royale game), since he died immediately - and promptly began a vitriolic outpouring of rage through the voice chat. It was pretty funny.

I believe there was still at least one other enemy remaining, but I woke up before the protagonist's squad could win or lose the game overall.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4422 on: February 19, 2020, 07:36:37 pm »

Dreamed I fought the law, and the law, won. It was musical and everything. What was cool was that I was fully immersed in the bizarre dreamscape, I genuinely felt I was going to be imprisoned in a musical prison for the next 11 years

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: February 19, 2020, 09:53:51 pm »

Dreamed I fought the law, and the law, won. It was musical and everything. What was cool was that I was fully immersed in the bizarre dreamscape, I genuinely felt I was going to be imprisoned in a musical prison for the next 11 years
isn’t the human mind wonderful?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: February 20, 2020, 01:45:59 am »

I just had a dream where i was playing Super Mario World for the SNES, a game I'm extremely familiar with, I know the game like the back of my hand. I was playing the game with my cousin (who's a murderer in prison IRL) and we're at the beginning portion of the game, and he does a trick that I'd never seen before, finds a secret I never knew about, and it reveals a whole new section of SMW that I never knew about: A kind-of slightly hellish underworld section that is now added to the map.
Now there's a whole slew of new levels I've never played before, and I'm just ecstatic at this revelation, I want to explore everything! My cousin though, is totally expressionless throughout the entire dream, he behaves like he's seen and done this a million times, and it doesn't warrant excitement.

(Side Note: This is something I grotesquely hate; whenever I'd go to a Friday Night Magic, almost everyone there has been playing the game for decades, and literally nothing surprises them in the slightest anymore. They just want to play the game in a professional, efficient way; and for a relative newcomer like this I can't help but interpret the attitude is callousness towards a newcomer, and towards any attitude of fun and spontaneity which is what I really want out of an environment like that. Back to the dream...)

So we're playing the game in a kind of coop setup (something that should have tipped me off that this was a dream) and he makes a beeline for a level in this Underworld where you can easily exploit the enemies to get a lot of lives or points, and he just keeps doing that over and over and over. I'm exploring this Underworld very excitedly, and I find that there's a secret that leads to another new section of the map: an even deeper underworld underneath the underworld.

Now, I'm basically in the game, and my cousin is still faffing about abusing the game mechanics somewhere. I see though that the game's map just keeps going deeper down, and there's a literal stairway to descend. *I'M* going down the stairway, and it leads into this area that is almost totally dark and filthy with refuse and what looks like millions of bodies of leeches, toads, and some creatures I couldn't recognize, all of them covered in a thick, oily black substance. A large tortoise with a human face was loitering around the top of the stairway, and it tumbles down the stairway into the mess waiting for it at the bottom. I'm paralyzed in fear, standing on the stairs between the bottom and top, trying to take everything in. I'm looking around as hard as I can, and I can only be amazed at how amazingly, finely detailed everything is; I was certain I wasn't in a dream, because EVERYTHING JUST HAD SO MUCH DETAIL, I could see everything down to the smallest grains of dirt, to the individual drops of grime and sludge, just everything. There was really only one thing to do at this point, I was thinking, and that was to continue progressing downwards, to see what's hidden in this hidden underworld. I wake up at this point.

I was just really startled at this bizarre dream that began as a corruption of one of my favorite games.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 338