Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rawbots - Build robots and fight 'em. Now on Kickstarter.  (Read 12684 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Rawbots - Build robots and fight 'em. Now on Kickstarter.
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:35 am »

This looks pretty great. It's a robot-building 'n fighting game. Check the article for a video.

I get a strange Spore vibe from it, maybe that's just the robots driving across a planetoid though.

There's nothing else to go on right now as the game's only presence is on a Facebook page, but hopefully after some attention that will change.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:18:40 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rawbots
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:58:30 am »

Now THIS looks cool. This is MY genera! I always want more games where you _personally_ build stuff to destroy other people's stuff!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:01:22 pm »

Not enough info to entice me onto the article.  Why should I care?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:07:16 pm »

Oh, I didn't read the article--I watched the movie.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:13:04 pm »

Not enough info to entice me onto the article.  Why should I care?

There's not much in the RPS article either.

But let me describe what you can see in the video.

Build robots from parts, up to 30+ from what it looks like. Fully functioning physics. Guns, melee weapon attachments, several different arenas for testing and fighting, from small spherical planetoids to race track-looking things to death match arenas.

I'd have written more if there was more to write about, but as I said, the video does a better job of showing than I will writing. Care, or don't.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:14:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:59:05 pm »

Looks quite interesting, giving me memories of both Spore and BK:NaB.

Let's just hope it turns out better than they did.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:10 pm »

Damn ninjas, I just wanted to create this thread. :(

Also, it looks like this subforum is turning into yet another place to put comments about RPS articles (besides the articles themselves).

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »

Nobody reads the article when there is a video that explains the whole affair better available to watch near the top.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:12:04 pm »

Nobody reads the article when there is a video that explains the whole affair better available to watch near the top.

I do.  I prefer reading over watching.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:44:24 pm »

Looks quite interesting, giving me memories of both Spore and BK:NaB.

Let's just hope it turns out better than they did.
Man, Banjo Kazoie: Nuts and Bolts would have been game of the year IMHO, if they included more things to do with your vehicle creations. It's a pity most of the single player missions were incredibly simplistic and the mutliplayer match settings where over-simplified. It released at a $40 pricepoint IIRC, I think the extra $20 to go full triple-A would have been well worth it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
Re: Rawbots - Build robots and fight 'em
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »

What I want to know is how/if walking mechs are possible. Proper mechs, not these fixed animation things in the video. Also, those tiny planet things look awful. But of course it's only an early demo. I'll be watching this game from afar, I think.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 06:57:51 pm »

Well I watched the while video and I noticed something

Robots are uttarly indestructible.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:18:38 pm »

Not sure why, but it kinda looks meeeeeeeeh. The concept is cool and all, but it just doesn't feel good, it kinda seems wrong, can't put my finger on it but this isn't exciting me as much as it should.

One thing it does tho, is remind me of Robot Arena (or whatever the exact name was) and how freaking awesome that game was, figuring out how to program a robot was insanely hard, both because it was somewhat badly explained (if at all) and because at the time my english sucked pretty badly.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 08:31:57 pm »

Jopax: exactly my thoughts, something seems off but ANY development in the field seems good.

Robot Arena 2 didn't have programming per se; do you mean the 'wiring'/controler setup? w goes to left motor counterclockwise, right motor clockwise that kind of thing?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »

Man Robot Arena 2 was amazing, I might have to dig out my old copy of it some day.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4