Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where did they go?  (Read 1223 times)

lostgeek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Where did they go?
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:19:02 pm »

I was on a quest in some dungeon and sought for a goblin which I should kill. Since the dungeon was pretty big, I got drowsy and thought "Well, I got ten Meatbags companions to stand guard, why not sleep for a few hours."

A hostile maceman was so kind to wake me up:
The Maceman bashes You in the left foot with her iron morningstar, tearing the fat through the copper high boot!

I looked around and found that I was alone. The following fight did not end up well for me. I passed out and died.

What happened there. Why did they leave and where did they go?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Where did they go?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:27:57 pm »

NPCs in dungeons will respawn if you sleep in a dungeon/sewer.  Doesn't matter if they are right next to you.  As to where he went...  Maybe a companion scared him off or distracted him?  If you werer alone, what did you fight?  Did you get attacked every turn by an unseen maceman or something?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

lostgeek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:31:41 pm »

No, by alone, I meant that my companions left without a trace. I saw the Maceman and his morningstar very well... :-\

EDIT: So my companions also respawned to the entrance of the dungeon?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:35:12 pm by lostgeek »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:36:07 pm »

That happens.  They respawn and your companions leave the room for your privacy.  Stop sleeping in dungeons, unless you want them to respawn.  As a side note, I think even 'waiting' any amount of time respawns them too.

If you do sleep do it in a room that was devoid of enemies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 02:38:15 pm »

You should never sleep in a Dungeon, Catacomb, or Sewer. Stuff can respawn and other mobs may also wander around as well (always possible that something you injury runs off and comes back to you while your sleeping). I'm pretty confident that 'waiting' can also respawn monsters as well - at least NPCs in villages that I massacre as a Vampire, Werebeast, Necromancer, or some other monstrosity to nature do.

As for your companions, it is very possible they may have spawned in rooms or passages above or below you. There is a bit of a problem with stuff on multiple Z levels, in that if you were to say go to sleep in a cavern, you might find that your companions have spawned on the world's surface.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 03:13:09 pm »

You should never sleep in a Dungeon, Catacomb, or Sewer.
Unless you're injured.