Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Daggerdeath - A Sucession Game  (Read 10340 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Daggerdeath - A Sucession Game
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »

***STORY***
A long time ago, there was an island, unknowing of the lands around it. There were tales of elves and men, and their constant struggle for the island's control. But now, a new threat has come to claim the lands: Dwarves. These seven short creatures came from lands unknown to us and arrived to make an outpost on this island. Will they create a golden age of peace and harmony for the dwarves *coughs*? Or will Armok be pleased with the constant spilling of blood? No one can say what can happen... But maybe you can change it?

*************************************************************************************

Rules are pretty standard: complete a full year during your turn, when spring comes, save, zip, send out, etc. One important but minor rule: you HAVE to dorf yourself as someone in here with the title of "Overseer #<insert your player number>". Other then that, let the !FUN! begin!

***Player List by Year***
*Colors:*
Green means completed
Red means skipped
Yellow means you're up/playing
Blue means you're waiting to play
Orange means you repeated

1) Highmax28
2) Apiks
3) Markressler
4) Burdalesa
5) Wrex
6) Volfgarix
7) peregarrett
8) Highmax28
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:22:47 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
Re: Daggerdeath - A Sucession Game
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:29:09 pm »

Eh, sure. I'll join in.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

markressler

• Bay Watcher
  • WHAT IS THIS, WHAT I AM DOI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:30:22 pm »

You HAVE to dorf yourself as someone in here with the title of "Overseer #<insert your player number>".

I've always had a question regards that: what happens if our dorf dies? We don't get any turns?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:34:18 pm by markressler »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »

You HAVE to dorf yourself as someone in here with the title of "Overseer #<insert your player number>".

I've always had a question regarding that: what happens if our dorf dies? We don't get any turns?

You Roleplay controlling your dwarves from beyond the grave with strange messages popping up to your replacement or something. Improvise!
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

markressler

• Bay Watcher
  • WHAT IS THIS, WHAT I AM DOI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »

I've always had a question regarding that: what happens if our dorf dies? We don't get any turns?

You Roleplay controlling your dwarves from beyond the grave with strange messages popping up to your replacement or something. Improvise!

Cool, thanks! I think I'll join. Expect catastrophes.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:39:40 pm by markressler »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 01:57:35 pm »

Log of Highmax, Overseer #1

Spring
1st of Granite, 250
The other dwarves and I managed to arrive here, though we can't remember what happened after the storm a couple nights ago. We found this mountain in the north by a forest and we decided to start here. And I don't know who it was, but someone brought with us a steel anvil rather then an iron one... This makes me kinda mad but oh well, we'll make due (Due to some embark glitch, the iron anvil item wouldnt show up, kinda weird...). I took the others and began to give orders. We got the miners doing their thing, the woodcutter doing his and the herbalists doing theirs. Me and the carpenter are putting stuff away so we can get a good look at what we got. Regardless, we got work to do so lets get it done! I don't want to sleep on the floor anymore then the others do!

15th of Granite
We got some food, wood and a small cave for us to use now. We'll get settled in once the miners dig in a bit more. But I took a good look around today and saw the local wildlife, and I was kinda scared. We have a river full of carp and alligators, and someone told me they saw grasshoppers that are bigger then we are and walks on two legs. I swear he must've been in the booze stores for too long. I also saw a giant red sponge that sits there and does nothing... It stands there and does nothing. I really think we should get inside faster. The dogs are getting restless along with our goats.

3rd of Slate
A whole month has gone by since we arrived and we got some good work done, and I decided that we might need a moat, so I told the miners to work on it. I also planned out a well, and a farm and a place for the workshops. I'm glad the alligators are gone, they kinda went on their way, away from us. Although more people are talking about these grasshopper men, and how strange they look... I'm not scared, after all, I'm good with a blade. The dogs have been left out to do their own thing now, so I'm hoping we can get things done without hurting out animals.

28th of Slate
Your not going to beleive this! I saw one of those grasshopper people today, and a dog chased after it. I ran after the dog, only to watch it get kicked several times in the chest. I chased the vile thing away, but the dog is in pretty rough shape. I took it back to the cave along with the other one. I'm gonna keep an eye on them here so they don't run off again.

4th of Felsite
I just received word that the pit where the moat will be is completed. All we need now is to fill it with water. I grabbed a bucket and began to throw water in, only to realise that our pit is a little TOO big. I think I'll just send in the river and block it off with a couple of floodgates so aligators wont swim in

28th of Felsite
Well, the workshop area is complete, along with the main part of the cave. Also we got some doors and beds made for when we move in finally. We're finally digging to finish off the moat and well, so we should be alright before the year is over. Here we go to our next season: summer

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »

Don't add me to the list (at least, list of Overseers, Dwarf me if you want) - but on your Embark with the Steel Anvil:

Most likely your Dwarven Civilization didn't have access to Iron, and as a result you couldn't make an Iron Anvil. However, all Dwarven Embarks have access to Steel Anvils so that is why it was available for you to bring. I assume this is because your Dwarves can important Iron from other civilizations, and instead of making Iron Anvils they make the best Anvils they can from the precious Iron they import.

A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

burdalesa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 10:22:06 pm »

if this didn't start i want to get in the fortress

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 11:04:39 pm »

Summer
1st of Hemetite:
I walked out of the cave that is so far is looknig more and more homey, when I looked up and saw weird birdlike figures. But what was weird: they looked ALOT bigger then a normal bird and appeared to have arms. I thought I was hallucinating so I went back inside to start working on the workshops. The whole idea of moving everything as fast as possible inside was a good choice, cause someone heard rumors of yeti roaming the place.

5th of Hemetite:
I don't know why but SOMEONE had the really smart idea of making a trade depot, when we know NOTHING of the island. We came here by ship and we haven't seen a single dwarf here since we got here. Maybe he thought those bird people in the sky (Yes, thats right, bird people!) would come down one day and trade with us. Problem with that: we have NOTHING to trade! I might as well get some craft shops up and running, for bone bolts and other things.

26th of Hemetite:
I just saw the food stores today: we're running low on food. I knew we'd have to deal with this eventually, but this is so soon. I got the farms to be put up as soon as possible, since the well is pretty much completed. In the mean time, those two Yaks that pulled our carts will supply our fortress with plenty of meat to sustain us until we can get our farms up and running.

17th of Malchite:
We're past the halfway of summer, and we've got the farms all set up, along with the wells. We also got a rediculous amount of bone bolts for hunting and whatnot. I came up with the idea of a drawbridge as well, so we're gonig to move some blocks over to this side of the bridge as our miners dig out the last of our land bridge.

26th of Malchite:
Well, now I've gone and done it... I screwed up... I ended up trapping us all inside while everything is OUTSIDE. We can't make a bridge long enough to get through so we're making a temporary stairway until we can get a bridge up from the other side. I'm glad I'm pretty good at masonry. And on top of that, we got some migrants to come laugh at us stuck inside... Yay...

15th of Galena:
Its almsot the end of summer, but today is a day of celebration! We are going to release the river into the floodgates and release the vast amounts of water into our moat, our well and our farm. Tomorrow or sometime in the future, we will release these floodgates and begin our time alongside waters

18th of Galena:
Today we are going to pull the first lever and open the moat and well! PULL THE LEVER!

19th of Galena:
The water is flowing jsut fine. Now we just need the farm floodgate open for a couple seconds and then we'll be done!

21st of Galena:
We've done it! The farms are now being irrigated and the moat and well are filling. We've done it! *Looks at the moat again* Where did that dead carp come from?

22nd of Galena:
We have a big problem: we have just run out of booze! :o :'( THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! GET THAT STILL UP AND RUNNING NOW! I knew I forgot to put something!

26th of Galena:
Booze disaster averted! However... Food disastor occured! Now we're running low on plants, and besides the meat, plants are the one thing we sustain on the most! Hurry up you lazy farmers! Plant!

28th of Galena:
Summer is now over. We had a couple of problems, but easily solved. Also our well is taking some time to fill up, but it shouldnt be a problem. We now have four stills able to work overtime if our booze runs out. I planned out more bedrooms, a barracks, a stockpile room and a dining hall. Soon, our cave will actually become a fortress. We also have ALOT of bone bolts and rock crafts (The stonecrafter had the need to perfect his art, so I handed him lots of stone and said "Get Busy"). In order to store all this junk we'll need bins... And that huge stockpile to be carved out. As for metal, we found tetrahedrite the other day, but no sign of anything else... I think we'll have to make with copper until we can find some iron. I also tried to ask the migrants where they came, but they too said something about a ship and a storm. Maybe they came here following us but found us much later? Oh well, we'll make contact with the outside world in the comming months perhaps. Next: Auttumn

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:03 pm »

if this didn't start i want to get in the fortress
I'm confused... Its kinda started, I'm starting the first year, so you don't want to get in?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:14 pm »

I'm applying for a turn. MAGMAAAAAAAA!

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

burdalesa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:58 pm »

if you dont mind.. YES I WANT TO PLAY :D

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 12:29:25 am »

Auttum
1st of Limestone:
The well is finally filled, so we can close the floodgates and see less carp trying to swim in. We now have four people mining, since another one of the migrants brought thier pick too and wanted to help us.

7th of Limestone:
The miners are off drinknig and eating, so I moved in the cages, furniture and food into the stockpile. So far, we have enough room, but we're gonig to need more barrels and bins to keep everything in here.

11th of Limestone:
I just saw in the moat what looked like a purple cloud... I walked towards it and i took one big whiff and I knew it was miasma right away. I looked at what was causing it and saw that damned carp corpse. Not only can we not get to it, we can't even move it with water pressure! This may be a huge problem if that body doesnt decay fast enough.

16th of Limestone:
The stockpile is almost complete, and the new bedrooms are as well. We just need beds to fill them. Everyone is so busy with the stockpile though, we haven;t had the chance to actually do much other then get everything inside. Its for the best though, its starting to get a little chilly out... In other news, more miasma! (yay...)

20th of Limestone:
Can someone please poke a stick at that carp corpse to move it away!? More miasma, and we got the stockpile and barraks completed. Maybe we can actually get something done soon. Also I've begun to design my room and my tomb should I die out here. In other news, our goat gave birth today (yay fresh meat!)

3rd of Sandstone:
The tomb has been carved out and the statues I made myself will be placed inside. The miners, once done digging, will begin the long process of smoothing the stone in it and in my bedroom. Then the even longer process of engraving will ensue, showing our stories from across the sea. On an even better note, the carp corpse is now a skeleton so no more miasma! Yay!

19th of Sandstone:
Plenty of food, plenty of booze, my tomb more then halfway smoothed over, I think we're doing pretty well for a small settlement of 14 dwarves. I also started the military program here, with myself as commander. Sinceo our barracks are now up and running, this will be easy. Everyone now has a bedroom, and everything is now placed inside the fortress (except the butcher shop due to miasma reasons). We're also trying to get some more logs before the winter shows up on our doorstep. I don't want ANYONE outside when it comes. I've got a lever being built next to the bridge on its right that will cause both parts to rise and fall.

20th of Sandstone:
More migrants arrived today. We now have a HIGH MASTER... Soaper... An accomplish brewer, a talented woodworker, an adequate animal caretaker, someones pet duckling and duck, a fishery worker (I don't think people told him of our carp infestation), a novice engraver (another one! Yes!), making us at a total of 20 strong. We're getting more and more like a fortress every passing day!

9th of Timber:
The tomb is nearly completed, with only half the room left to engrave. So far, our bridge setup isnt going so well since we lack some mechanisms, and our mechanic, which happens to be our farmer, is busy farming fields to make some mechanisms ::)

11th of Timber:
You're not going to beleive this! Real dwarves from the outside world have arrived! And they brought things to trade! Incredible! Ready up the trade depot! We got some barganing to do! I'm glad that stonecrafter did his thing, we have something to actully offer!

****UPDATE****

18th of Timber:
We went to go trade with the other dwarves. We asked how they got here and how they plan to get back, and the dwarf laughed. He said he got here by ship a month ago when they heard of the storms surrounding the place. I asked them if they had any iron, and he looked at me weird. I took a look at the stuff they had and I see why: they have steel, bronze and copper, but no iron! This horrified me! We need iron for many things, but why would the mountainhomes NOT have any iron? Regardless, I traded some gems and some crafts for some food, a crossbow and an extra axe. We could use a hunter right about now with all our bolts, and the extra axe would be nice when we need to hoard wood. Also the tomb is pretty much done. Regardless, I'm done for the day, so I'm going to sleep <falls asleep and strange dwarf stands over and watches me sleep>

19th of Timber:
I'm kinda scared right now, this outpost liason just woke me up and started to talk about our situation... And apparently he was standing there the ENTIRE TIME! I went to ask for some iron but he shook his head. Well, we can make due without it for now, maybe we'll find our own iron... If we can get through this damn shale! I asked for some more weapons (I'm not taking any chances with those yeti rumors) some plump helmets, some fuel for the furnaces, some dogs to replace our heavily wounded one, some sheep, and some ammo.

21st of Timber:
We finally got the dicussion done and overwith after a couple of days, they mostly want headwear and scepters... Alright, we'll get that stonecrafter on the job right away! Oh, and the tomb was completed today as well as the mechanics for the bridges.

28th of Timber:
I just felt the first cold breeze of winter. We've made it so far, and we've gotten closer to where we need to go. I'm going to grab my sword again along with one of the herbalists and we're going on training for the winter. I'm glad I brought my sword with me. So far, we got a farm up and running (although its taking things forever to grow...) we got a hunter bringing in constant meat, and we got plenty of plump helmets for the comming winter. And we got one of the stills working overtime right now, we need a constant supply of boozw if we're gonig to get through this winter. The bridge is now set to drop anything on it whenever we need to. I'm planning on putting up a wall for some defense in case we get aligators again. Next: winter
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:19:14 am by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:12 am »

Winter
9th of Moonstone:
The dwarven merchants packed up and left today. There goes our communications off this island. I got into a nice sparring match today, and did it ever get intense! I swear, we were total equals in skill, and neither was better then the other. The dining hall is now FINALLY getting carved out (I forgot to do the hall leading to it :-[ ), and my bedroom is halfway done being engraved. Our hunter has also been out for quite some time... I wonder if hes got any luck?

20th of Moonstone:
The hunter finally came back, and he returned his kill... It turns out he couldnt even shoot straight for the life of him ::) Anyway, we also got my bedroom nice and smooth, one wall of fortifications done, and the dining hall is almost carved out now! I also ordered we get some jewlers workshops up, we need those gems cut so we can have things nice and pretty.

4th of Opal:
Your not gonna beleive this story cause I know I didn't until I saw it with my own eyes. The hunter, doing his thing, tracks a group of three massive birds. These things could probably support us for a whole year if we can get one. So our hunter shoots it, and keeps doing so until he breaks the wing. So what does this bird do? It jumps INTO the river where we dont even want to go NEAR because of all the carp and whatnot. So we have this stupid bird drowning to death with severe wounds and constantly going unconcious. I might order our diggers to make a ramp so it can climb out and we can finish the job. ANd just as I do just that, the damn thing starts to fly again... SHOOT THE DAMN THING AND KILL IT NEXT TIME!

6th of Obsidian:
We're nearing the end of winter. I'm starting to think my duty as military commander will hinder my effects of being overseer. I must find someone to take my place soon. I'm gonig to arrange a meeting at the end of the month to get ourselves a new overseer.

28th of Obsidian:
I arranged the fortress meeting today. We discussed where we stood and found out our situation isn't all that bad, but could be a bit better.

Heres what our fortress looks like thus far (yay for remembering how to do photos suddenly!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So far so good, and we also got a nice looking map as well:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So I gave them the news that I'm stepping down for now as overseer. I also asked who will take my place. At this time, several stood up and offered up. I'll let them decide who'll be next to take my place.
Also, my bedroom is done, the dining hall is carved out, and we have much to do!

End of Highmax's Log as Overseer
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:35:25 pm by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 01:12:00 pm »

Alright guys, heres the link. apiks, I beleive your next in line?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8