Liberal Crime Squad 4.06.5
Liberal Crime Squad is a satirical open-source text-based modern strategic political RPG with bad pickup lines and bad graphics. You play as the founder of a left-wing terrorist cell devoted to saving the United States from its descent into Conservative Insanity though writing to newspapers, volunteering, playing protest music, seduction, flag burning, graffiti, hacking, kidnapping, torture, murder, brainwashing, and other common and uncommon activist activities.
LCS was originally created as a side project by Tarn and Zach Adams (Bay 12 Games), the brothers behind Dwarf Fortress. They last updated the game in 2004; I picked the source code up in 2007, and in collaboration with more than a dozen programmers and writers from the community, we have managed to release intermittent updates since then.
Please note that LCS is unbalanced, unfair, unfriendly, and inappropriate. Its interface is an artifact of cancerous feature creep on top of the historically important but very old
1983 RPG Oubliette. It's also awesome, so you should download it. Any questions or suggestions about the game can be submitted in this forum, and check out the wiki
for a likely out-of-date but still pretty useful reference.
Thanks to Tarn Adams for making the game, and everyone else who has contributed to the continual betterment and stability of the game!Full DownloadLCS 4.06.5 for WindowsSource Code
Instructions for compiling for Linux courtesy of Carlos Gustavos:
# Checkout from svn.
svn co http://svn.code.sf.net/p/lcsgame/code/trunk
# Enter directory.
# Some configuration.
# More configuration. Install whatever it says you're missing.
# Run game. The binary is in the src directory.
First you need an SVN client. SVN is a version control system that allows programmers to store code online easily and collaborate more effectively. If you don't have an SVN client, I recommend TortoiseSVN for its ease of use:http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads
TortoiseSVN adds a new option on your right click menus when you're in Windows Explorer, listing SVN options. Create a new folder anywhere you like and name it whatever you like. Then, right click on it or in blank space in it and select "SVN check out" or something named similarly in the drop down menu.
A pop up will give you options. The key one is the one listing where the repository is located online. You want to give it this URL:http://svn.code.sf.net/p/lcsgame/code/trunk
It will download the entire code base and all of the resources for Liberal Crime Squad into the folder you just created. This is the source code and supporting developer files for Liberal Crime Squad. Browse to the workspaces directory and open the Visual Studio project file. From here you can compile the game, edit any files you want, and otherwise engage in rampant modding.
If you don't have Visual Studio, you can get Visual C++ Express for free here:http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-cpp-express
If this link doesn't work, just Google "Visual C++ Express" and it should turn up.
- Added a warning before opening an alarmed door
- Added a limit to how many times SWAT teams can raid the bank vault on one mission
- Added a restriction on ammo sales based on gun laws
- Most messages should now be logged in an external log file
- Rebalanced body disposal so that it doesn't always result in police showing up
- Fixed a bug where you can't buy stuff in the hardware section of the department store
- Fixed a bug where your first name was sometimes using the wrong gender on character creation
- Fixed a bug where quirrelous parents always insisted otherwise when the doctors reported your sex at birth
- Fixed a bug where it could sometimes take extra time for the command hierarchy to fall apart after key people are killed
- Fixed a bug where the metal detector (not used in the game, but available to map modders) always went off
- Fixed a bug where weapons were never suspicious unless your clothes were, to the point that you could carry an AK-47 through a metal detector without being confronted4.06.4 Changelog
- Improved map moddability
- Improved consistency in the UI; you should now be able to use enter or escape to exit almost all screens
- Swapped left/right on the Liberal Agenda screen, so left-wing policies are on the left
- Replaced Conservative Re-Education Camps with Conservative Prison Labor Camps, and added Liberal Prison Therapy
- Added KA101ís Department Store upgrade. You can buy the Desert Eagle and M249 there, if the laws are appropriate, so these are no longer truly unique. Ammo available there too.
- Reduced the chance of the police attacking each day. 1 day sieges should be less common now, and rations/safehouse improvements are much more important.
- Made starving during a siege more lethal.
- Added message when your liberals are starving during a siege.
- People now die properly when starved to death, and a message is shown
- Partially fixed "ghost sieges" where sieges didn't end properly; this should at least occur less often
- Changed fighting messages slightly. Messages should bug out onto the site map less.
- Changed starting car from the Bug to a Sports car, and made it stolen so that you can't sell it for more than $1000
- Added a screen before on-foot chases, similar to car chases
- Added logging of important gameplay messages to gamelog.txt
- Added special text message for people in wheelchairs kicking doors
- Added site mode options menu, usable to enable/disable encocuonter warnings
- Added different text for encounter warnings based on encounter size and whether squad has moved
- Fixed a bug where someone who escaped prison and then was arrested again would have their old sentence shown while in the police station or court house
- Fixed an issue where low quality or damaged bunker gear was better rather than worse
- Fixed bug where pressing Z to tab through safehouses would get stuck on the Robert E. Lee Bunker
- Fixed a crash bug related to long names when hacking
- Fixed an issue where sleepers could be promoted into leadership positions when their superior dies
- Fixed an exploit that let you move squadless Liberals out of a safehouse currently under siege
- Fixed an oversight where a squad getting subdued by police would not be reflected in the news story
- Fixed a crash bug related to a squad being subdued by police
- Fixed a problem where sleepers who were fired from their jobs would use their old workplase as a safehouse
- Fixed waiting in apartments not always producing an encounter
- Fixed hackers being charged with kidnapping
- Fixed being able to spray graffiti while in combat
- Fixed a text display error when a liberal is cornered by an angry mob after causing trouble
- Fixed a text display error after not picking a lock
- Fixed naked characters getting their "naked armor" bloody
- Fixed an issue that prevented characters from dying due to old age and drug overdose in interrogations
- Fixed an issue with tracking drug use during interrogations
- Fixed dead bodies without head or body exploding every time they are hit
- Fixed a display issue where a liberal's name didn't always appear when bluffing
- Fixed a text display error when a liberal is cornered by an angry mob after causing trouble.
- Fixed a rare crash when allocating the same vehicles to multiple squads.4.06.3 Changelog
- Added a unique "CCS Backer List" item that can be published in a Liberal Guardian special edition
- Fixed two separate display issues with the anti-aircraft gun upgrade
- Fixed the "wait out the siege" text appearing even without a siege
- Fixed the problem where you couldn't dodge or slow down when you saw a child in the street during a car chase
- Fixed the issue where the squad activity would often overlap your money supply if you had a lot of money
- Reduced the length of some safehouse names to make it less likely that the safehouse and date would be written over by the squad activity
- Fixed the longstanding crash bug that could occur when killing police that try to arrest liberals during certain activities
- Fixed the bug where picking up loot in the bank gave you nothing
- Fixed the bug where your options for how to react to the landlord's quote on a room price overwrote the previous text without clearing it4.06.2 Hotfix
- Fixed a crash bug with cracking the bank vault.4.06.2 Changelog
- Added locksmithing class to the university
- Made clothing making more linear in difficulty
- Added a chance to fail to make clothing at all, if you can't even hack fourth-rate
- Added an Anti-Aircraft Gun upgrade to safehouses
- Adjusted heat to give an ongoing decay for high heat liberals
- Added heat to bank robbery
- Added two new ways to rob banks, accessible through the bank teller
- Made banks much slower to lower their security after a big raid
- Added news reporting for bank robberies
- Increased the response speed and intensity of police response to vault break-ins
- Reduced the heart threshold for talking to dogs
- Added the ability to talk to genetic monsters like dogs
- Made successful speech with one dog or monster convert all dogs or monsters in the group
- Fixed a bug related to dogs still being responsive after they turn back conservative in response to a pickup line4.06.1 Changelog
- Added banks and vault heists! Enjoy figuring out the details, it should be pretty intuitive. Somewhat WIP; still can't rob the teller or force anyone to let you into the vault without cracking it yourself.
- New site tiles, specials, and creature classes to support banks.
- Some car chase obstacle changes that were discussed in the forums awhile back. Fruit stand flavoring, child in the street, stuff like that.
- Raids can do a lot more damage to your money if you're rich.
- Some bug fixes; most notably, the sitemaps file wasn't being used properly in the last release.4.06.0 Changelog
- Bug fixes, crashes removed, stability
- New way to edit and load pre-made maps
- Can now see all options in the make clothing menu, even if it's way out of your league
- Added all types of body armor to the make clothing menu, including heavy body armor (listed as "Heavy Ceramic Armor")
- Made civilian body armor easier to make
- Significantly buffed SEAL Armor
- SEALs will now always spawn with M4s instead of M16s
- Once bombers are being used, standard soldiers will be replaced with Navy SEALs during raids
- Military support is now more likely in high heat police raids
- Third and fourth-rate stealthy clothing is now less stealthy
- Replaced mercenaries with Elite Security and gave them mild buffs
- New nuclear reactor map using the new map system with an on-site museum room
- New site action: smashing display cases
- Added a new security checkpoint similar to the bouncer, and usable on other maps
- Pressing the Big Red Button will have outcomes flavored as a near meltdown
- The nuclear plant now has an armory similar to the military base
- Added support for future metal detector checkpoints
- Made skilled Conservatives have different stealth and disguise detection ratings, instead of using one common rating; guard dogs will now be countered by good disguiseNew Map Editing
The biggest feature of this version is that maps are now much more moddable, and it's easier for developers to add new maps. It's now possible to use the point-and-click interface of DAME
to create new LCS sitemaps, and the game can load these in at runtime. I've created tiles for all the major features and icons representing every kind of unique site action possible, from jury rooms to bouncers to fluffy bunny cages, and proven the system by designing the new Nuclear Plant map.
Yessir, it looks nothing like that in-game. But the art helps to make the map easy to visualize while editing, especially with dozens of possible special features that can be added to a tile.