Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drawbridge problems ... -SPOILERS!-  (Read 965 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drawbridge problems ... -SPOILERS!-
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:14:33 am »

Greets community,

yesterday I thought it was time to play around with some well known and feared blue tubes... I had a pretty good idea where the hollow part was, so I build a drawbridge near to it, linked it, let my miner breach !!Fun!! and immediately after my miner left horrified closed the bridge. It went to the correct state (Wall), but some Demons were able to break it anyway and flooded my Fort...

Now my question, is that new ? I read that drawbridges can't be destroyed even by creatures with Building Destroyer 2. If drawbridges suddenly weren't immune to them anymore, it could be really devastating ...

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: Drawbridge problems ... -SPOILERS!-
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:16:27 am »

If the bridge was not made of magma safe materials they can burn it down.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:03 am »

Drawbridge's 'center' is destructible by heat, did you had it closing AWAY from the breach? Made out of high temperature materials?

(I've never put one that far down, but magma sometimes have a jolly time with mine )

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:18:07 am »

maybe it was destroyed by extreme heat? some of them demons may be made of flame, which is a placeholder material with high enough temperature to destroy most stone things. When such a monster steps into the place where the bridge would be if lovered, then the raised bridge is affected.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:32:32 am »

I think all demons have blazingly high body temperatures. Maybe it's their materials. In that case, demon leather clothes would be a great gift for your nobles!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:33:35 am »

Waaah, thanks, I have to immediately replace my front gate  :o It's made out of wood ....
The drawbridge raised in the correct direction, I can't remember what it was built from though ... so I guess this was the error.

@nanomage : It would be interesting to see if they can destroy a raised 1*1 bridge, since there's no way to stand on a bridge covered tile that way ....

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:57:22 am »

I think I'm right in saying that if the drawbridge was used in an inverse manner (when up, there's access to the down ramps that are up-ramps on the level below, where the danger lies, and when down it closes egress via said ramps from below) you'd have been Ok.  Although that's based on intrinsic building-destroyer abilities (if I even have that right) and I'm not sure if a flame-type enemy could cause a flame-vulnerable drawbridge the same problems from the bottom of a ramp to the top.

However, I've often laid down bridges (retracting, usually, as default options) over the floor of a future magma-workshop floor within which is a down-ramp gap into the magmaduct running beneath a number of my (prospective and actual) magma workshop rooms, as a temporary blocker-of-creatures where a magma forge would have capped (and tapped) the access hole, when built.  But I must also add that I've not had so many creatures through my other defences (and described in many prior posts, about how I set about tapping magma for workshop usage), so even this is not really proven as a working defence, to be honest.  But I'm fairly sure that there's no convection issues involved, at least at Magma temperatures.