Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Almost there!  (Read 2993 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Almost there!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 04:47:00 am »

I'm really surprised the new release isn't out yet. I'm on vacation in Japan right now, and I was quite sure the release would come the day after I left.

Why am I checking the forums while I'm on vacation in Japan you ask?

...umm, no reason.  :)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 09:30:00 am »

Heh the first time I really got into Dwarf Fortress was during business trip to Japan.  I had a lot of work so I got in late, but had nothing to do for a few hours before bed.  Of course I didn't get much sleep that trip  ;)

I'm betting on a Halloween release.  But it'd be cool if it was out Saturday morning so we could play all weekend and not have to go without sleeping on a weeknight

Whiskey_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

I've been going crazy, and it's only been about a month since I learned about and started playing DF.

I can only imagine how bad it is for you other folks.

he name says it all.

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

The next release task list is like a bittorent download... the closer it gets to completion the slower the rate becomes...

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Whiskey_Ninja:
<STRONG>I've been going crazy, and it's only been about a month since I learned about and started playing DF.

I can only imagine how bad it is for you other folks.</STRONG>

You have no idea.

First I stick around ABB for four years, waiting for NV. Still waiting patiently for it.
Now I came here about two months ago. And find out about the new version. I've been waiting like I'm camped outside a game shop. I can't even bring myself to play the current version anymore because it's so close.

Having waited for one game is bad enough. But two? Gah!
I can hardly imagine what I'd do if both were released at the very same time.

[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>
Having waited for one game is bad enough. But two? Gah!
I can hardly imagine what I'd do if both were released at the very same time.</STRONG>

Don't worry. Stop waiting for NV. I also waited for NV for too long but I realized that Alex is no longer interested in finishing it. He seems to be too much of a perfectionist and a bit too idealistic about his own projects and instead of progressing he goes backwards. First he says he wants to do NV. But then he says he needs to create a new language for it. Then he says that he needs a new Forum-thingy for his project. Then he says he needs to program his own DAMN CLIENT (ie. his own browser software) to support his Forum-thingy. Next he will say that he needs to reinvent the transistor because current transistor technology doesn't satisfy his needs. Seriously the guy is nuts.

I have greater hopes with NIV-CE.

edit. Sorry, I just vented my frustration with NV. Maybe Alex will end up creating something amazing. But it won't be on this decade and it won't be either NV.

[ October 24, 2007: Message edited by: Zemat ]

[ October 24, 2007: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

Lightning4:  Yeah...It was kind of funny in that other thread seeing your reaction to the Dwarf Fortress "new version" being abbreviated NV.

But Alex's pet language, while cool, just didn't end up being sustainable for long term development.  I think the whole thing is halfway to being a failed mood, while Toady's mood is still ongoing.

I check up on Noctis every year or so.  I don't poke at NIVCE much.  But I sure do know what it's like to get that "I must write every single thing on my computer by hand" mood.

I think I'm going to drag this into another thread...

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

I can't take it anymore.
What is NV and where is the window from which I can drool at its' never-coming features?
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

Yeah, the last few posts make no sense to me... ABB? NV? WTF?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »

NV is the commonly used abbreviation for Noctis V, the sequel to Noctis IV that probably won't exist this decade.  We've been waiting, though--some more faithfully than others.  There haven't been any new screenshots or feature announcements in some years.

ABB is the Anywhere BB, the forum for Noctis.  I don't remember the website offhand, but you can probably dig it up.

Noctis (IV) is a space exploration game with millions of stars to explore the planets of.

Be warned that, while Noctis is not a roguelike, you will probably have the same first reaction to its interface that normal human beings have to roguelikes.   :)

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

Heh, I remember playing Noctis before, and it was quite fun until my guy got lost and couldn't find the pod back to the ship. He was stuck on that ice world FOREVER.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

Noctis is pretty hip, but if Noctis V ever comes out it'll be excellent on the same level as DF, but in different ways.

For those not in the know:  Noctis has a 100% procedurally generated galaxy, with millions and millions of stars, each with planets and moons and such to land on and explore.   You can name them and upload your names to an internet databse.

Will

• Bay Watcher
  • Carp Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

thats a big "if" I think he is writing his own coding language for the project and that not even done yet.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

Soo...less than a week to go then? Anticipation is just growing and growing...

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>
ABB is the Anywhere BB, the forum for Noctis.  I don't remember the website offhand, but you can probably dig it up.</STRONG>

It's just that. :P www.anywherebb.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5