Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: -The Roughnecks- A newbie tale of courage and dwarfism  (Read 805 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
-The Roughnecks- A newbie tale of courage and dwarfism
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:25:09 am »

(This was made using Masterwork DF 1.9.5 with mostly vanilla settings and most new creatures on.)

Imagine if you will a giant entrance hall carved of fine dolomite blocks. Dark but spacious, it is lined with statues and slabs: various brave dwarfs and those lost and not found. In this hall 6 dwarfs prepare their equipment behind a strong, raised drawbridge. Clad in steel chain these 6 sharpen and oil their weapons; axes and spears and swords and hammers. One dwarf moves for a hatch, disappearing for a time only to come back with a new helm and a new recruit; twitchy and clad in nothing but his clothes and a steel chain shirt. More similar recruits appear, wielding iron, until their number reaches 15. 5 of these dwarfs draw crossbows and tighten their leather quivers, filled to the brim with gleaming copper. The Leader of these recruits, cold eyed and stone faced calls for his Second, another emotionless face. These two have seen war, and should not have come back alive. The Second motions for a recruit to hit a lever in the back of the hall. The hatch back to safety locks and a cold silence is heard. The Leader takes a swig of Sunshine from his copper flask with an audible gulp and motions for a recruit to hit another lever. The drawbridge slams shut, crushing two orc scouts and turning the eyes of the rest of the siege. The Leader shouts a war cry and rushes forward; sword held high. The Second motions forward and the recruits let out a earthshaking war cry rushing toward the mass of enemies. Two are quickly felled by crossbow bolts and soon clashing steel is heard. The Leader cuts a swath through the besiegers and meets the orc leader in combat. An epic battle is had that lasts but minutes. The Leader takes a minor injury but wouldn't be denied. The orc leader lay dead, missing an arm, and the siege is broken. The brave Leader looks around to take stock of the victory. 15 dwarves vs. 18 orcs, 4 dwarven survivors. The Second meets the Leader: "We have won, sir, yet again." The Leader looks through the carnage: "No, Captain, this was another loss."

This was the the story that went through my head as I played my orc siege in Masterwork. I had generated too much wealth in the beginning and attracted the goblins earlier (who i was unprepared for) and lost my initial squad except for 2, whom i promptly renamed the Roughnecks, and recruited whoever i could to fill the gaps. Just thought I'd let my creative side out for once.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.