Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ablelkeshan, the Fortress Established on top of a Necromancer Tower  (Read 2407 times)

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Journal of Doren Edanaleth:

Curses! I am unsure of what I have done to rouse Rimtar’s ire, but the gods have seen fit to punish me for something. I was called into the royal stewards chambers and told that I had been chosen to lead a very important expedition. I was being sent halfway across the world to build an outpost for the glory of all of Deduk Niral “The Manor of Portent”. Flattered, I accepted the title of expedition leader and immediately set off with the caravans. It was a hard journey. Our group, “The Trumpet of Dragons”, had many hard times crossing the world, and we were constantly beset by rumors and stories of a group of dwarves who had been exiled to the worst place in the entire world. Little did I know until we arrived that we were that group of dwarves.

Upon arrival, we pulled up our wagon beside a small stagnant pool. I immediately sent Solon, our builder, out to recon the area and determine the best place to strike the earth. We had just begun getting our supplies, what little there was left after the journey, in order when Solon came scrambling back into camp on all fours screaming her head off about “the walking dead” or some such nonsense. It took a while to calm her down, but it turns out that the odd square structure that we could see just across the swamp was completely full of a large group of necromancers and their evil deathspawn.

I immediately knew that we had been sent to our deaths here. Building an outpost on top of a tower of necromancers? Dead. Not knowing what else to do, I immediately ordered Solon and Dakost to grab our mining picks and dig a trench around our wagon. Doing so quickly, they cut straight down on the outsides so as to hopefully give the shambling corpses that we could now see pouring out of the structure no access to us. Solon and Dakost began digging down and the rest of us grabbed everything we could carry and headed straight down into the earth.

My mind was numb with terror, the only thing I had to hold onto was the little spark of revenge that I carried in my heart. We would find a way to survive this. We would build a fortress to rival the mountainhomes. We would capture the necromancers and use them for our own purposes, and eventually, we would have our revenge.

This is Ablelkeshan, the dwarven outpost of Deduk Niral. We will survive.

OOC: That's right, I embarked on top of a necromancer's tower. It took three tries on three different worlds and three different towers before I was actually able to get a trench dug around my wagon before the dead swarmed and killed me. Progress will be posted here, if any of you are interested in reading.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Ablelkeshan, the Fortress Established on top of a Necromancer Tower
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »

You should post some screenshots?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ablelkeshan, the Fortress Established on top of a Necromancer Tower
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:51:04 pm »

OOC: Sure. Keep in mind that I am a fairly new DF player, so don't expect super fancy constructions or anything, in fact hopefully this fort will be a good learning experience for me as I don't have much experience with a military. Also, Phoebus. Don't be mad.

IC:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1 Slate, year 145
So far our miners have dug out a workspace for crafting as well as a basic area for farming plump helmets. The dead cover the area, and at least so far have seemed content to slaughter any wildlife foolish enough to wander into the swamp.

Even in our hopeless situation, life among the dwarves goes on. Our miners, Solon and Dakost, have recently been spending much time together. In the small area we have managed to scratch out of the earth, it is difficult to hide a relationship such as theirs. They claim to be lovers now, which seems a hasty decision, especially for a dwarf. Oddom, my second-in-command and the leader of our small militia has especially taken offense to their relationship, although I am unsure why she should feel that way since I swear I saw her and our other Hammerdwarf Lolor being very “friendly” off in the corner of the stockpiles. I will have to watch Solon and Oddom carefully, a grudge like that cannot be allowed to compromise our survival, especially with literal death surrounding our pitiful haven.

1 Felsite, 145

Oddom insisted that I order the creation of a barracks for her and Lolor to train in since I wouldn’t let her out of the fortress to slaughter the dead. I assented to her request, fearing the menacing look in her eye, but I stood firm on not ordering a bed to be placed in the barracks. I want to make sure that when they are training, the two of them are actually training. Plus I was afraid that Solon might decide to use the bed just to spite Oddom and I really don’t want to give Oddom another reason to bash Solon over the head with her hammer.

As Oddom and Lolor practice what appears to be some sort of shield demonstration in the barracks, I discover one of the dogs limping through the fort. It appears that instead of using the garbage pile that I designated for dumping vermin and such, a few of our less clever members decided to toss the stuff over the side of our trench right into the doorway to our fort. I calmly demonstrated to the group that they needed to think before they just chuck things about, especially in a fort the size of ours. Hopefully the dog will recover, my medical expertise doesn’t extend to animals.

We had a bit of a scare when one of the corpses outside of our fort got close enough to cause the livestock to flee down into the stockpiles and none of the dwarves were brave enough to take them back up to the pasture. I was about to do it myself when the corpse got distracted by a bird and took off in the other direction. Edem, our farmer, shamefully took the horses back up to the pasture after the threat was over.

Moldath complained recently about my leadership, claiming that I spent too much of my time focusing on the louder dwarves such as Solon and Oddom. As a way to help all of the dwarves to feel accepted, I decided to sit down with each one of them in my office and find out more about them, since I hadn’t know any of them before we were sent here. I wrote up a brief character study of all of the dwarves here, I fancy that someday this journal may be of interest to someone out there, especially if we succeed with my plans…

First, of course, is myself:

My second-in-command, Oddom:

Lolor, Oddom's lover and Hammerdwarf:

Solon, our builder and miner:

Dakost, Solon's lover and another miner:

Edem, our farmer and chef: