Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defective weapon trap  (Read 2666 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Defective weapon trap
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:18 pm »

So this weapon trap isn't defected in the normal jammed way, but exactly the opposite: it kills whatever walks over it. I've lost tons of animals to it and the only reason i don't lose dwarf is because they have [trapavoid]. Anyone ever hear of this?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Defective weapon trap
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:36:39 pm »

No but it is fucking awesome! Build a shrine to this device, remove TRAPAVOID from dwarves and sacrafice children to this blessed gift from Armok. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »

Is it webbed? Is there some syndromey stuff on it? Is there something nearby that would stun things?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:16:42 pm »

Is it webbed? Is there some syndromey stuff on it? Is there something nearby that would stun things?
All of that would kill dwarves too, except maybe a specific syndrome.
I presume you mean tame animals, right?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:23:43 pm »

Webs don't kill, and neither does stunning. Syndromes might or might not.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:32:23 pm »

Even [TRAPAVOID] creatures can fall victim to traps if they end up on them stunned, webbed, or asleep.

What kind of animals were they, and how tame? Maybe the trap is recognizing them as hostile for some reason.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:59 pm »

So this weapon trap isn't defected in the normal jammed way, but exactly the opposite: it kills whatever walks over it. I've lost tons of animals to it and the only reason i don't lose dwarf is because they have [trapavoid]. Anyone ever hear of this?

It's worth pointing out that dwarves don't have trapavoid in vanilla, so what kind of modding are you using?

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:09:07 pm »

Your civilized creatures gain a trap avoid perk during fortress mode. The only one building traps on your map is you, you dwarves don't trigger them. Regardless of having the tag or not, the effect is the same: trap immunity. Its catching completely domesticated animals that came with migrants and descendants of original animals that embarked with my dwarves. My dwarves just walk right over it, probably thinking "Wow that looks like a masterwork quality mechanism with 10 masterful obsidian clubs swords all in one weapon trap. I should walk my imported pet gorilla through it to admire it's glory!"

Its laid out like this:

XttX
XttX
XtTX
XttX
XttX

The t's are normal traps. The T is the swirling black hole of death that nothing without an alcohol addiction and an intense love of geology can escape from. The X's are open space. Is basically a long dodge pit. Gobo's charge down it, and either A) get pulverized by the traps or B) dodge into a 27z level drop. There is buzzard blood and the blood of my poor farm stock. Nothing webby or syndromish.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:12:28 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:17 am »

Sounds like a fainting-inducing contact syndrome somewhere further down the path- everyone walks in it, but only dwarfs have shoes and socks to protect them from it. How are the combat reports from your massacred livestock?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 03:46:25 am »

Quick Question, how do I imprison or murder a dwarf? I got one that is in a strange mood and I want to imprison him until he gets better and if he doesn't then I want him to be... Taken Care of... Quickly and Quietly... Any Help Is Appreciated :P
Jumping into a waterfall to get water is Spectacular.

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:47:09 am »

Sorry about that, wrong topic...
Jumping into a waterfall to get water is Spectacular.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 06:39:21 am »

Spiderking, if tame animals are triggering it dwarves probably would be too. You mentioned adding TRAPAVOID in he OP, so pardon our misunderstanding. Triron's theory sounds plausible.
Doctor Blood: Try locking doors.
Sig

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 09:02:27 am »

... Its catching completely domesticated animals that came with migrants and descendants of original animals that embarked with my dwarves. My dwarves just walk right over it, probably thinking "Wow that looks like a masterwork quality mechanism with 10 masterful obsidian clubs swords all in one weapon trap. I should walk my imported pet gorilla through it to admire it's glory!"...

So are the animals walking on their own and following a dwarf, or are the animals being dragged around by the dwarf (i.e. being hauled to a cage or a pasture zone)?

Here are modified obsidian raw values with realistic SHEAR properties that turn the "clubs" back into proper swords, at least for unarmored enemies:
Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[MELTING_POINT:13600]
[BOILING_POINT:16000]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:obsidian][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:177][LAVA]
[MAX_EDGE:20000]
[SHEAR_YIELD:35000] 35 MPa
  [SHEAR_FRACTURE:35000]
  [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:114] shear modulus 30.7 GPa
[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[IS_STONE]
MELTING_POINT:11818 <-- I think this is from the data collected by the contributors above and is more accurate than the numbers we're using, but we're using a high melting point until environmental lava effects are further along.
[SOLID_DENSITY:2650]
See also the bug report that I made: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5346

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:46:38 pm »

Thanks for the raws, but i actually prefer them as a blunt object, they make fantastic dodge pit fodder. There are no combat reports for the animals, which is strange. There is also no syndrome bits as far as i can tell. Animals have been killed coming from both directions and have no weird substances on their corpses or on the trap. If the syndrome was on the ground or something like that, they'd die on any trap that it kicked in on, not one specific one regardless of which direction they're going. The animals are walking of their own volition.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 12:35:39 am »

I'd say save a copy of your world so you can upload it for bug purposes, and then just disassemble and re-assemble your trap to see if it fixes the problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.