Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

A new drunken world is imminent. Should we try a modded world?

Yes!
No!
I am small and neutral, like Switzerland

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 341

Author Topic: !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! [We Hath Become Death, the Destroyers of Worlds]  (Read 1161709 times)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! [Year Two: The End of a Booze-soaked Era]
« Reply #1560 on: March 07, 2013, 05:10:48 pm »

The power and magma infrastructure is a nice addition, Bobnova.
I wonder if we could make a booze fountain somehow?  And put a well over it.

Work has been too exciting for me to try a mid-week turn lately, but I can't wait for that one day things fall into place!  ;D

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 09, 2013, 12:52:21 pm »

Is this thing still going? Was an avid follower of the drunken shenanigans a while back, but have lost track since then. Loved it though, and I've always fancied a go, but never quite gotten the opportunity... until now!

Just came back from a trip across the border (well, two borders to be more precise) to load up on booze, and while I won't be drinking the stuff I bought today, I do have a lot of semi-old stuff in storage which craves drinking... and the wife is going out with her lady-friends tonight... And that's a combination that sure smells like it could result in some !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! to me!

So we'll see if I can manage actually getting started (i.e. drunk enough) later on ;)

EDIT: The reason I was wondering if this was still going was due to the title (the "The End of a Booze-soaked Era" part), which seemed to indicate that it was over (or soon to be). But then I noticed that the main post hadn't been updated in ~2 weeks, and that the drunkedness has continued since, so this might've been an incorrect guess for my part.

As for my own preparations; they are progressing. Had 1/2 bottle of wine and a couple of beers, but I've run into a snag as I want to get started on some drinks, but have nothing to mix... Might have to get to the store, or be content with beer (shots are out of the question, I'm past that part of my life... at least when I'm this close to sober).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:15:07 pm by Flanderbland »
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 09, 2013, 02:52:50 pm »

If you don't start playing, let me know asap. It's a weekend home again, so I'm in playing condition too.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: March 09, 2013, 03:02:14 pm »

If you don't start playing, let me know asap. It's a weekend home again, so I'm in playing condition too.

Just got home from the store, I'll have magic flowing soon :)

Gonna pour me a drink and start preparing!
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 09, 2013, 03:10:00 pm »

Yeah I believe the title refers to us leaving the previous world+save (due to crash frequency) and gen of a new world for the next booze-soaked era.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 09, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »

Yeah I believe the title refers to us leaving the previous world+save (due to crash frequency) and gen of a new world for the next booze-soaked era.

Ok, so that's why.

Should I go with the old world, or gen a new one?

Note: I've only ever genned one world, so IF the answer is gen a new one, don't come asking for "advanced parameters" or other mysterious stuff, because I'm not sure I'd be able to sort that out even sober.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 09, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »

I believe this is the current save, we are 2 years in to the new world now.
http://www.epic-hw.com/pics/DDF6/DrunkerFortress.zip

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 09, 2013, 03:20:45 pm »

Alright, let's do this!

I'll update this post as I go. [pic] means that you'll have to wait for pics to give you the whole picture. I'll upload pictures when I'm done.

-- Log start --
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7468
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:06:52 pm by Flanderbland »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 09, 2013, 06:06:46 pm »

22:18 Well, that yook care of the dog and cat problem. They too got burned. ALong with about 10 dwarves. I still blame the previous overseer. I heard he's drinking on the job. YUp.

hahaa! 
Good turn Flander, even if things are falling apart.  seems like it is happening sooner than usual on this fort.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 09, 2013, 08:02:41 pm »

After having sobered up a bit (which may or may not having involved a nap on the couch, which in turn may or may not have been accidental), I'll try to sum up my turn. For this post, it's spell-check ON, even if it'll take a while to write. I'm not sure I remember all of it since I'm still pretty dizzy from my nap, but then again, not that much happened (apart from everything going to hell in a handbasket that is).

- It's hell. No, really. I mean HELL. From reading the previous posts I thought that it'd be pretty calm, but the fortress got a life of it's own straight from frame one. And by life, I mean batshit-crazy, tantrum-throwing, fiery life. It looked good at first, but then this one guy was burning (god knows why), which in turn ignited the stocks where every single dwarf was at that moment, which in turn led to 10+ dwarves dying. And THAT in turn led to the most insane tantrum spiral I've ever seen. I mean, a child got a freakin' barrel thrown at him. Which got stuck in his skull. Seriously. Who does something like that?!

- The world itself posed no problem for me (regarding crashes, lag etc), but then again I only got about 1,5 months in before giving up, so who knows what would happen later. The fort CAN be saved, if someone who's good at this sort of thing (crisis management) picks it up, since I seem to have a vague memory of Dwarf Therapist telling me there was a handful of happy dwarves left (this was, I think, about halfway into my turn though, so might've changed). Doing this might be hard while drunk though, but anyways, it's probably possible. I sure as hell didn't have the skills, the sobriety nor the patience for it.

- I didn't get anything major done. I removed all beds from the dorm they were sitting in, and placed them all in what I assumed was to be the living area. I think about 50% got placed, the rest were suspended due to tantrums etc. I also tried to make a nice waterfall near the trade depot (might not have been the best idea) to spread some gentle feelings around, but this was a huge failure. It ends three z-levels from the surface, where I also built a wall with a door in case there's a flood. I don't THINK it floods anything, but I'm not sure since I completed it just before I quit (and yes, channeling two 5x3ish blocks took about 1hr real time, that's how much tantrum there was going on). Either way, I doubt it'll calm people down enough to matter.

Oh, and I also moved the refuse pile and removed one of the butcher shops (at least I designated it to be removed), due to miasma clogging up one of the entrances.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 09, 2013, 09:09:22 pm »

rofl, that was hilarious!

Wonder how he came to be on fire, that's weird. Guess I should have played another 30s or so :D
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 09, 2013, 09:15:08 pm »

I was curious and gave bobnova's save a sober whirl. I must say, the fortress is accurately primed for a major clusterfuck and the save is basically one frame before the !!ranger!! goes up in flames and everything goes to hell. I don't know if there's anything you can do to minimise the initial damage. Seems like you're guaranteed a massive tantrum spiral. A really nasty one.

I'm pretty bad at tantrums, so i, too, lost most of the population and finally stabilised at 18 (yes, stabilised - everyone at happy or ecstatic; only took three seasons, without migrants...). I didn't bother trying to keep the expedition leader available for meetings - most of the population was deeply unhappy from the moment i unpaused and within a week more than half were tantrumming, dead or insane. I _did_ build a common dining room, assigned most available beds as bedrooms and got some booze production lined up. Other than that, i was mainly churning out coffins from two workshops, non-stop. Somewhere in late spring, things had calmed down enough that i managed to get a wounded dwarf patched up.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #1572 on: March 09, 2013, 10:09:50 pm »

I truly love you assholes.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: !!DRUNK FORTRESS!![Brave New World: Hey Urist, Watch This!]
« Reply #1573 on: March 09, 2013, 10:46:12 pm »

Please keep this game going for five more years so I can legally participate.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: !!DRUNK FORTRESS!![Brave New World: Hey Urist, Watch This!]
« Reply #1574 on: March 09, 2013, 11:10:53 pm »

Same for me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 341