Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

A new drunken world is imminent. Should we try a modded world?

Yes!
No!
I am small and neutral, like Switzerland

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 341

Author Topic: !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! [We Hath Become Death, the Destroyers of Worlds]  (Read 1138641 times)

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!DRUNK FORTRESS!![Brave New World: Hey Urist, Watch This!]
« Reply #1590 on: March 16, 2013, 06:56:14 pm »

OK, I'm officially drunk (0.9 +/- 0.5 ppt BAC according to a cheap home breathalyzer) and ready to take a turn.

If anyone wants to participate live, I'm on IRC (#dwarffortress on freenode).  Or just watch this space.

I just came home from a Scottish-themed evening with some firends of mine. had some haggis with neeps and taters and whisky sauce. And whisky. Not sure how many glasses I drank, but we had 18 kinds of single malt and I'm pretty sure I tried all of them at least once.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Ps. Ballechin #4 is excellent stuff. Too bad they only sell it at the distillery. And yeah, I'm feeling like being a whisky snob, why do you ask?  :D)

Unfortunately I don't have quite as good a whisky selection here, but I've got some 12yo Auchentoshan, plus several bottles of Chimay blue and a few cheap store brand beers. Those ought to suffice for tonight.

Hmm, looks like we're doing a reclaim. Haven't done any serious reclaims before. Let's see how it goes...

What, nobody's been dorfed yet? That needs tpo be fixed.

Looks like Udil Lokum's the only dorf with any social skills... why is hshe (hey, new geneder neutral pronoun!) not the expedition leader? Fxing that, and naming him after me...

Why is TheRapist showing completely different names for the dwarfs than the game is???  :o

[02:27] I'm feeling way too sober. Haven't even unpaused the game yeat, got stuck in the units screen / thrapist. Never really7 used that before, not sure if now's the best time to start learning how. Anyway, got a cheap beer. You know it's cheap when the can just says "pint of lager". Branding, who needs it?

[02:40] OK, all the previous overseers of this fort (Demdemeh, Bobnova, Flanderbland & Ruhn) have been randomly dorfed. Not sure if anyone else wanted to be dorfed. Don't really care. Bug me on IRC if you wanna dorf.

This is taking way too long to get started.  Time to take a quick look around the fort and then unpause.

Looks like making coffins and slabs is the order of the daty. Makes sense to me. Wio don't need no stinkin' ghosts.  Not so usure about the fort layout, though... considering digging out a whole new hole in the ground and moving there.

[02:49] OK, WTF... this Udil guy, the only one with any social skills, shows up on DorfTherapist but not in the game. Huh?  :o

Added some [PIC] markers for screenshots etc., will fill them in later.

Hmm, looks like the traders from the last fort left us some animals. Too bad nobody was around to feed them.

[03:08] OK, if we're reclaiming this fort, we might as well reclaim all this shit that's lying around. d/b/c FTW. Hope I don't create a hauling logjam... nah!

[03:13] Ooh, just found the entrance! (Was nowhere near the hotkey labeled "Gate"...)  OK, I think I've done all the prep I can, time to unpause this shit.

Wow, that's a lot of job cancels.
I guess reclaiming everything dodn't help.

[03:23] We need a broker. I'm apppointing myself, because I'm pretty nobody here knows anything about that stuff anyway.

[03:26] Mmm, hungry... made myself a yoghurt smoothie, that ought to buffer the alcohol a bit.  This beert really socks. (So does my typing. I'm making corrections, but only if I can be arsed to.) If I can still tell that it sucks, it must be really bad.

[03:37] Why are all these waterwheels blinking like a dsico diosc disco strobe?  ???  Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with them.

Turned off hauling for the mason. We need those coffins and shit.

[03:42] Oh, I see... that Udil guy is the outpost liaison. (Wow, I could spell liaisom liaisojn liasion fuck this shit.) Wonder what he's doing just hanging around here...

[03:55] Built some more coffins and slabs. We need to get these corpses out of the stockpile.

[03:58] We need a dining room. I have resolved to build us a legendary dining room. Possibly with a waterfall. I have also resolved to get another drink.  :)

Poured me some Auchentoshan. Man this stuff's dmooth. (Yes, apparently I can spell "Auchentoshan" but not "smooth". Whatever...)

[04:16] Wait, it's mid-autumn?  :-\ Why is it autumn? Did I start in autumn? I'm pretty sure the season hasn't changed yet ('cause I have seasonal autosaves enabled). How long am I supposed to play? What's the meaning of all this? Why are we here? Who am I, anyway?

Also, why are we farming dimple cups? Changed the plot to plump helmats all year round, at least we'll have food and booe. (And my z key is failing...)

[04:22] The construction of the great dining hall is under way...

[04:26, 13th Sandstone] Migrants!  Four six of them, all competent weapon users. Looks like we have ourselves a defence force. What are the odds of that? Also, one of the guys is an adquate appraiser. He shall be our broker from now on.

Dammit, realized that I have no idea how all this new militray stuff works. ??? Oh well, no better time to learn than the present. Also, our new military has no place to train...

[04:55] feeliong too sober (not that you can tell from my typing), need more alcohol. Also kind of hungry. Found a karelian pie in the fridge. Karelian pie and Chimay itm shall be.  :)

[05:18] Wow, this is going really slowly. Dining room is about dug out, ordered some tables and chairs to be built. Also realiezed that we have an immigrant, Atis, who's an adequete record keeper. Made him the bookkeeper and ordered him to update our records to maxumum precision. That's gonna take him a while, but I turned off all his other labors.

BTW, I realized that we actually do have a dining room already, kind of... it's a pair of tables and chairs in the corner of the big dug-out area next to the new dining hall. Assigned one of the chairs to Atis as a meager office.

[05:27, 14th Timber] Apparently, it took my dorf this long to realize that he'd been made the leader of the expedition.  :o

[05:40, 16th Timber] Merchants!
Also, the sun is rising... showuld spend more time playing and less on IRC.

[05:58] Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
Ah, well, that didn't take long... the resident hunter spotted him.

[06:06] Wow, these guys have everything!
The only problem is, I have no idea what I should trade for. Weapons and armor for the militia would be good, but those are always damn expensive.  Oh well, I have plenty of worn clothes to sell. Also a dwarf bone earring, apparently.

[06:27] Fuck, I managed to piss off the traders by not offering enough stuff. Never had that happen before.  :( Oh well, not like I needed any of their stupid crap anyway.  >:(

[06:45] Mid-winter. The dininag hall is now functional. The hunter decided to take a drink from the cistern. Hope he learns how to swim, because I'm not breaching that thing to save him. Ought to consider a swimming training setup. Or a well. A well would be good.  ???

Well, he made it out, and ran to the new dining hall to get a snack.
Oh, and I'm making some lavish meals too... meant them for trade goods, but if they keep the dorf happy, that's good too.

[07:00] OK, who the hell designated a water source zone right on top of the cistern inflow? No wonder the dwarfs keep going for a swim in the cistern...  :(

[07:05] Oh shit, one of the dwarfs who went for a swim didn't make it. He was a miner too.
Designated a new drinking zone and ordered the wall of the cistern removed. This shouldn't flood anything, I think...  Also gonna need more slabs.

[07:09] Aw fuck, a ghost just battered a mason to death. :( Need to refocus on the burial business.

[07:11] The liaison's here. What do we need. Ah fuck it, I don't need anything, let them bring whatever.

[07:15] The mountainhome wants drinks. I think we can make some.  :P

[07:19] Finally broke the cistern wall. Not sure if that was so useful, now all the drowned miner's stuff just washed into the drainage channels. No idea where his bodu went. Something's sure stinking up the place, though.

[07:29] Spring has arrived! Nothing much has happened, but we do have a legendary dining hall, even if it's mostly legendary because of its size. Not sure if I'm supposed to keep playing 'til autumn. Might as well stop here, I'm starting to sober up and just get tired.

Uploading the file now... and HERE IT IS!  Pics coming later. [Edit: Pics are here now.]

Frankly, I played way too slow and drank way too little, so little that I actually found myself gradually sobering up as I played.  Next time, I need to prepare better.

The fort is in about the same shape as before.  We have a great new dining hall, and I dug a pipeline for a well, except I screwed up the channeling designation and didn't actually manage to build a well yet.
That's a job for the next drunk. Also, I started digging out a third burial chamber, but got delayed by stupid damp stone complaints.  Our defenses still suck, although we seem to deal with random thieves just fine.  We've got a squad of military dwarfs, but they don't have any armor or weapons or training schedule assigned because I just couldn't be bothered to do that.  Workshops are all over the place, I still have no idea where half of them actually are. Oh well. Ditto for stockpiles. The corpse stockpile is conveniently located right in the middle of the fort, though.

Ps. Best of the IRC logs (I hope nobody minds me quoting them here):

02:32 < Vyznev> 25 cubic meters
02:32 < mulletmaster> ...
02:33 < Vyznev> Ok, that's pretty big, but not as big as I'd think when someone says "dragon"
02:34 < Vyznev> hell, you could squeeze three of them into my apartment, at least if you ground them into dragonburger first
02:35 < mulletmaster> Well, the dragon would weigh about 55000 lbs
02:35 < mulletmaster> which would probably be past the floor loading capacity of your apartment
02:35 < mulletmaster> your neighbors below would be pissed.
02:35 < Vyznev> well, yeah
02:35 < Vyznev> I'm pretty sure filling my apartment with ground meat would do that anyway
02:35 < mulletmaster> yeah.
02:36 < mulletmaster> but at least you could make some bone crafts and shell totems and shit
02:36 < Vyznev> unless they kicked me out of the craft shop downstairs

02:56 < escondida> Hmm...drunk fortress. This does sound like an excellent idea, for some values of excellent.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:24:05 am by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 17, 2013, 01:28:17 am »

OK, there I'm done for tonight. Posting another reply to bump the thread. It's St. Patrick's Day, anyone else feel like getting drunk?  ;D

I WANNA SEE SOMEONE RUN THIS SHIT TO THE GROUND!

Ps. Ooh, I still have some Chimay left. Better finish that, then I can go get some sleep...

Just as a reminder, THE SAVE IS HERE.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:56:20 am by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 17, 2013, 10:15:04 am »

This was a good thing to wake up to this morning. My favorite quote: "This beert really socks."
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

[02:49] OK, WTF... this Udil guy, the only one with any social skills, shows up on DorfTherapist but not in the game. Huh?
I was seeing the same thing: thinking Therapist still shows dwarves who are not listed as dead/missing yet.

[04:16] Wait, it's mid-autumn?
Yep, I only got about 6 months into the reclaim.

I just sort of assumed that the flooding depot was part of the original waterfall design.  Because, you know, drunk.

Actually, looks like that was more or less the case:
I also tried to make a nice waterfall near the trade depot (might not have been the best idea) to spread some gentle feelings around, but this was a huge failure. It ends three z-levels from the surface, where I also built a wall with a door in case there's a flood. I don't THINK it floods anything, but I'm not sure since I completed it just before I quit (and yes, channeling two 5x3ish blocks took about 1hr real time, that's how much tantrum there was going on). Either way, I doubt it'll calm people down enough to matter.

Anyway, the flood might not have done much as a mist generator, but one thing I did notice when I took a peek at Flanderbland's save yesterday was a stack of 6(!) dwarfs all drinking from the same tile of 2/7 water flooding into the room next to the depot.  So apparently it at least served to compensate for the total lack of booze or a well...
That waterfall/mist thing claimed 3 lives before I abandoned, having that water source might have been making it worse.

We're probably dead once the first siege or ambush shows up.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 19, 2013, 12:04:48 pm »

Anyone up for doing this tonight? If not, I might be persuaded.  :P What do I need, just Vanilla DF and the save file? :)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 19, 2013, 01:20:47 pm »

Yep. Pro-tip: Download and test the save before you start drinking :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 19, 2013, 01:46:02 pm »

Spokily dokily! :)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 19, 2013, 04:58:57 pm »

Alright, setting up, dinner is in the oven, downloading save now! :)

It's 10:00pm over here, I can go to 3:00am if required. ^^

Okay, grand, it's not working. Where do all the files go? XD

I'm not sure the actual save is there. If it is, I would be extra grateful if someone could package it with vanilla DF for me...  :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:36:17 pm by Korbac »

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 20, 2013, 12:21:30 am »

The save folder (DrunkerFortress) goes in Dwarf Fortress/data/saves.

Here it is bundled with DF and the lazy newb pack:
http://www.epic-hw.com/pics/DDF/DrunkerFortress.zip

A bit late, I suppose, but what the hell.
There's always tomorrow!
how do I lizard Werewolf

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 20, 2013, 01:05:48 pm »

Well whaddaya know, I can try this again later as I'm going to the pub and I still have half of my beers left. :P

If anyone wants to go today, please do, else I'll actually give it a shot! ^^

Thanks Bobnova! ^^

It works! ^^
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:35:45 pm by Korbac »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: March 20, 2013, 06:02:06 pm »

I've had 3 moderate strength beers - more than enough to be drunk. :)

HERE WE GO

17th Granite, 23:01am : game start!

I immediately unsuspend the well and drward myself as the bookkepper. SAFE AND NOT DEAD

18th Granite, 23:04am : designated some minin g arwasa. God this fort is fucked up. Srtarted in fourth tbrew.

22nd Granite, 23:07am : Finished up some bedrooms, not that we'd need them. :P I prefer to have more luxuriosu bedrooms but apparently 3 space things will have to do.
Did I mention thw fact that tinhs for n is fucked up? :P

27th Granite, 23:10am : ALL THE DOGS WILL BE WAR GODS.

2nd Slate, 23:12am : Migrants! Cwl, military maybe?1 I assign most of the b00ns to the military.

9th Slate, 23:16am : THAT SAID WE'VE HAD ENOUGH!!! lol aklantine trio. Migrants brought our pop up to a fasafe (boigng) 35 peopel.
HUNTER GETS A MOOOOD AND CLAIKS M A CRAFTS DWARF WORKSHOP and makes something onut of one unit of luimonite. BORING

15th Slate, 23:21am : HE MADE A limonite scepter lol what a useless n00b. OLrgniasinsed a decent ,iliatry around our central cORe. OTACON SKANE METAL GEAR

26th Slate, 23:26am : made a burial grounds for gohsts so they don't fucj us i[.

2nd Felsite, 23:30am : wily stage 2 rocks, also one of you has tried to built a pum,p sytmsem up into the DINING ROOM. WHYT WOULD YOU DO THAT YOU N))))))BBBBBBBBBBB XD

8th Felsite, 23:35am : Planned out some things, can't remember when I write this. Oh yes I refurbished the bedrooms. :)
A ghostly farmer 'batters' our Axedwarf. What a pussty of na axedwarf, chop that psirit uo!!!!! Apprently he cut hi lower arm off O_O

25th Felsite, 23:46am : Seized all the Evles Shit when they came to trade.

It's a massive dick move imo but I am now a true dwarf fworthy of a guiness plz.

10th Hematite, 23:52am : Engraved slabs to stop gohsts purveying ius. They are annoying, sorry u died and all that but try no to piss us poff next time you dungarees. NEXT BEER, 3 minute BRAK.

16th Hematite, 23:59am : GOHSTLY PLANET YOU DINGUS (PLANETR PLANTER!!!!!) why you 'batter' our military, go batter some fish and chips.

19th Hematite, 00:01am : lol I just realoised, why are moy other posts in AM. more migrants, this is becommknig too easy.

8th Malachite, 00:15am : I renamed and reassembled the military and called it bumjnunglers united. APPROPRITATE

13th Malachite, 00:17am : HUNTER GIVES BIRHTS TO BOY. WHY YOU USELESS SACK OF HUNTER

2nd Galena, 00:31am : Avuz Gusilurdim has begun a myswerious consturicon.!
A baby has drowned. POOR PARENTING

6th Limestone, 00:54am : I've  increaded the stoorage and the furniture are cool. :)

27th Limtestone, 01:10am : Lots of gems bign cut, and thing are going WHELL, if a bit disograngised.

14th Sandtone, 01:17am : A ghosdtly jeweler has arisen, oh no guard you r laether codpieces.

2nd Timberrrr, 01:24am : MOAR MIGRANTS EAsy MODE ENGAGE CAPTIAN FAILcON egnaneg.
A forgotten beast keeps apperaring then bogging off. Doesn't appear tont heh units cscereen,.

12th Timber, 01:38am, ROB XZOMBIE TIME:
Can any of you see why thery won't buiold this wall??? ???
Built a farmers worksihpy you neglectful bastaqrads, don't you like aplpaca's???

22nd Timber, 01:50am : I spoke with Gerald Ford on the weudbsa board and he said the whole thing stinks, he said it's such a bore it's nothing more than playing tidlywinks.

AND I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY YOU'S THINGKAS
WHEN I HIT THE ICEBERGY, THE ICEBERG SINKS
I DON'T NEED YOUR GRAVITY
SO GO AHEAD AND SLAP YOUR BIG X ON MEEEEE

Also I've built some weapon traps. :)

4th Moonstone, 01:55am : Child batters Miner, populace astounded
I won't edit the military preferences but you do nkwo you can but a breastlplate and a chauin mail on at the same time for sooper protection right? :)

11th Moonstone, 01:59am : More WAR 'GODS' (I'll never live this down. XD)

2nd Opal, 02:07am : These dwarves are getting more action than I am.

LOUSE MAN ROCKS BTW!

7th Orapl, 2012:am : Things are good :) and I've helped built a hospital and get some cruthes online for Bobnova and friends. Let it not be said that I love my fellow man!! <3

A GHOSTLY HUNTE BATTERS ME. ENOUGH IS ENOGH, I'M GONNA FUCK ALL THE SPIRIT WORLD UP. FUCK THE GOHSTS, LIVIING FTW. GHOSTS YOU BLEW YOURS CHANCES. GET READY FOR THE PREACEHRS TO COME!!!

3rd Obsidian, 2:22am : making some clothing facilitis, to satisfyng a mad mood. hopfuyl it wil go well! (OI'm tired incase yo  din';t guess. lol as well as being drunk :))
Sofipu, I DGAF until you show up on the units list. :)

15th Obsidiena, 2:32am : MY LEFT FOOT IS MISSING. Oh well i'm such a pro that doesbn't bother me

1st Granite, 02:45am : saving game for next udde, will post dave tomororw. Beer consemed = 6 pints of strongish ale. :) nothing crzyz happened ecpete some random digging and some more workshops e.g. tanners. Military set up and named appropritared. Have fun! :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:46:28 pm by Korbac »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 20, 2013, 06:22:45 pm »

27th Granite, 23:10am : ALL THE DOGS WILL BE WAR GODS.
Ladies and gentlemen, Anubis has spoken.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: March 20, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »

19th Hematite, 00:01am : lol I just realoised, why are moy other posts in AM. more migrants, this is becommknig too easy.

Drink more :D
how do I lizard Werewolf

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:55 am »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 21, 2013, 04:14:42 pm »

Wait, you got so drunk you talked to Gerald Ford: What? Tiddlywinks?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 341