Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

A new drunken world is imminent. Should we try a modded world?

Yes!
No!
I am small and neutral, like Switzerland

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 341

Author Topic: !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! [We Hath Become Death, the Destroyers of Worlds]  (Read 1139152 times)

PeterisP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! [The Era of Brokenmugs]
« Reply #2130 on: January 07, 2014, 02:02:29 pm »

THis looks nice -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The large refuse pile is heated from below with a huge magma pool, probably to facilitate composting and miasma somehow.

Uhh, I accidentally unpaused but nothing bad happened. Is it supposed to be so in a drunk fortress?

We've got a fey mood. I've decided to floor over the volcano and start a clay industry there. Maybe we have one, but it'll be simpler to start a new one than to find the old, and I can manufacture infinite clay blocks to build a pyramid or something.

Magmafall will be a goal but the top of volcano is surrounded by farms... well I'll route the magma through them somehow, it'll probably help fertility.
Oh, and the clothier claimed a shop. In the middle of a huge miasma cloud. I hope he gets some perverse inspiration in there.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: January 07, 2014, 02:07:27 pm »

Eh. It's not Irish. It's Northern Irish. There's a distinct difference. Northern Ireland=Part of U.K. and Ireland=Republic of Ireland, an independent country with a separate government. It's like saying Canadians are American, only if you add in a history of violence between the two.

Who cares about the governments? They don't make the whiskey, and the production between Ireland and N.Ireland doesn't change at the border, the distilleries and recipes are older than the political units anyway.

That being said, magmafall might be an option to decorate the front non-entrance.
Oh, I know the recipes are mainly similar. I was simply addressing what I took to be a mistake; Bushmills is in N.I.

And why stop at magmafall? Why not magma pool? Or, for a better term, magma lagoon! You could release some Fire Imps in there as a mythical element, to lend it that extra air of Enchantment!

*Burns and/or deaths are not compensated by Magma Ltd.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

PeterisP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:04 pm »

We've got some magma pools. What I have in mind is a magmafall directly into the magma moat in front of the 'proper' entrance, but there are some engineering issues, namely, the main stairway is right between the volcano and the proper spot. Rerouting is a trouble, so I'll try to properly cap the stairway and run the magma right over it.

We've got a plan! Now I just need another drink. Or two - I'll try to find something suitable for shots.

21:20 Got a drink, and found an old bottle of amaretto almond liquor that I used some time ago for cocktails that I no longer make - but it's nice as a pure shot! So, magmabuilding. I'm still sober enough to wonder what will happen with allthe magma after it falls down, but hopefully that feeling will go away while I do the construction.

Okay, what do we need? lots of magmasafe materials, starting with floor hatches and screws for pumps.... let's order some to the manager... waitaminute, the nobles don't have appropriate quarters, we'll have to fix that as well! Ah, forgot to dwarf myself and make mayor, will do so now.

What's a magmasafe material? I see some magmaforges, so everything will be made of steel! True dwarfstyle! (I haven't checked yet if we have steel)

WTF is everyone doing? I made orders and noone is doing that! THis must be fixed! Why is some idiot fishing? We've got more than enough food, get to carrying boulders for my magma pipe!

What do you mean, no steel bars available? Make some!

It looks like all the smelters are busy melting metal objects. Stop that and make steel finally!

Hmm the clothier made an artifact llama wool left glove. Do we have some one-handed warriors or I have to make them as well?

Some industrial accidents - it appears that using volcano as a garbage dump isn't safe. Well, it's not me, it's the previous overseer. Gah, that reminds me that I still haven't dorfed myself, as I couldn't choose any single dwarf.

Freshly out of drinks, a month of game time has passed and not a single square I designated has been dug out. Treason! Maybe we should implement a color-coded permission system a-la Paranoia, to reduce risk of treason. The volcano top will be made clearance-blue, to prevent idiots from going there.

Going to boil up some more blackcurrant juice.

22:00
  Okay, removed some orders that I didn't understand. Still, everyone is busy dumping things and going around stockpiles. We need more immigrant haulers! Hmm, the lack of entrance might hamper that, maybe I should dig a new hole in the wall? Oh, there was some lever labeled 'front gate', I'll try that.

Oh, we've got 25 migrants and it looks like that there's simply an entrance hatch on the roof that I can unforbid.

22:15
It looks like steel bridge won't be happening due to lack of coal. I gave an order to burn a hundred units of charcoal, but cancelled it after seeing that (a) we've got no wood furnaces and (b) we've got only a couple dozen wood.    IRON! Iron hatch covers and corkscrews, make me some! Everything else will have to be clay bricks that hopefully can carry magma when constructed.

Dorfs are finally building some floors. Good for them.

A cloud of creeping dust has appeared. I'll forbid the roof hatch and pretend that I dodn't see that - it'll go right over me, right?

Ouch. It didn't, the top of the volcano is somthered with something red.

Hmm... and off it went, with just some dwarves complaining about resting out injury. I'll try to remember to look at the diagnosis. Anyway, this means a roof of rectrabtable bridges. Do I have any chance to finish everything that I started? Does it matter?

Assigned some bedrooms, and scheduled decent-sized apartments for the nobles. Maybe they'll get dug out within my turn.
The following projects are sort-of-going-on-in-parallel:
   1) Magma pipe to the planned magmafall
   2) Flooring of volcano magma level, just because (and to build a clay industry + spots for more magmaforges on top of that)
   3) Roofing of volcano top to prevent repeat accidents with sneaky creeping clouds putting everyone in hospital (hospital is full of miasma - don't knwo why, no rotting corpses there as far as I looked)
   4) bigger rooms for nobles

It's still going on, I'll try to update every half hour or so but now I need more drinks.

Trying to build some furniture, but Bobnova 7 has risen and is haunting the fortress. Now, fo we have eny tombbs here? I recall seeing a long row of coffins somewhere (the unit list shows 567 dead/missing !). Well,there are some free spots and I enabled some more, so it's time for slabbing !

Hmm, 'Raw adamantine! Praise the miners!' ... I didn't order anyone to dig deep... Ah, it's simple, just a collapse of something I was building.

I'm 3/4ths through with my whiskey and blackcurrant juice, but it's just starting summer... time for some shots instead!

And I've found an alternative to steel - we've got sand on top, so green glass enormous corkscrews here we go!

A vile force of darkness has arrived!   Well I'm not planning to do anything about that as it seemed to me that we have no entrances. Let them try.
Okay, we do have an entrance now where I wanted to make the magma pipe go out for the magmafall... time to fight.

The whole invasion force now is in fortress through that topside hole... let's see what happens. I've mobilised all the squads that were there...
Gah, a bunch of trolls smashed everyone topside and are now rampaging through the main stairs, and massacring everyone in hospital who wants to recover from the cloud.

The fortress is dead, only the walled-in vampire remains :(

It ended quicker than expected - but it should be very reclaimable.

Save here - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8301
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:49:53 pm by PeterisP »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: January 07, 2014, 02:20:00 pm »

What? Nothing going wrong and everyone happy? What the hell happened? Also, that huge pool of magma below the refuse pile used to be our bedrooms, stockpiles and forges and the obsidian farm is just a minor workplace accident but you can pretend it is just an obsidian farm.  ;D Pretty much every strange tunnel, chasm or abandoned hallway is a workplace accident of some kind. Oh, by the way, we used to have 150, not 50 dorfs a few turns ago. I trust that you will keep up the tradition.
We've got some magma pools. What I have in mind is a magmafall directly into the magma moat in front of the 'proper' entrance, but there are some engineering issues, namely, the main stairway is right between the volcano and the proper spot. Rerouting is a trouble, so I'll try to properly cap the stairway and run the magma right over it.
Yes. Routing magma directly over the main stairway. Sounds about right.

Oh, and could you try to keep your turn in a single post? Doesn't really matter but easier to read

The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: January 07, 2014, 03:39:23 pm »

Loving what I've seen of the turn. The guesses at what things are, especially.
The happiness and lack of problems is bizarre given how many turns in this fort is. Maybe it'll be a new record!

I wonder what happened to the rest of the turn.

EDIT:
Oh, the turn is still going. I was thinking this was last night. Awesome!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:40:57 pm by Bobnova »
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

PeterisP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: January 07, 2014, 04:52:38 pm »

The turn is finished now, I was sadly too drunkly careless to make the planned magmapipe output inaccessible from below.

Wait, I wasn't unintentionally careless - I started walling it off, but intentionally left holes in the wall so that my masons could go on top to try to roof the volcano....  that serves me right.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: January 07, 2014, 04:55:33 pm »

Well, that was sudden but atleast the dorfs are finally out of their misery. The fort lasted surprisingly long.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

PeterisP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: January 07, 2014, 04:59:43 pm »

The fort was quite fragile military-wise - the squads totalled to 9 lowskilled dwarves IIRC, so breaching the wall apparantly doomed the whole fortress.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:10:39 pm by PeterisP »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:06 pm »

The fort was quite fragile military-wise - the squads totalled to 9 lowskilled dwarves IIRC, so breaching the wall apparantly doomed the whole fortress.
Yep, we have been getting sieges of 20-50 gobbos every few months for the last few turns so they kind of.. died? I think. The skilled militia that is.

Et tu, Urist

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: January 07, 2014, 06:58:24 pm »

lol that was abrupt.
Excellent turn :D
how do I lizard Werewolf

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: January 12, 2014, 10:44:24 am »

I'm back!  And, I'd thought I'd compile a list of !!Overseers!! and !!Lurkers!! so anyone who is trying to dorf people can find a list in a handy place.  Perhaps Kamin could add it to the op next chance he gets.  It will include anyone who wanted dorfing or displayed interest in playing (so they can be some part of it even if they haven't had a chance yet)  I am organizing the list by turns played then earliest turn played then earliest post.

Spoiler: Long List (click to show/hide)

Also, update the op with vzynev's "THINGS TO DO BEFORE DRINKING"
    Download the latest save and the Lazy Newb Pack (optional but recommended) and uncompress them.
    Make sure you can actually open the save in DF, and that the init setting etc. are the way you want them.
    Try taking a screenshot.
    Check your drinks supply, buy more if needed.

ANd updated list of overseers:

3 turns in a day for 3rd world
Year One Spring?: Enisea [New Embark]
Year ?: Naryar
Year ?: DS
Year ? to 205 Summer: Scruffy
Year 205 Autumn to 206: Summer: Naryar
Year 206 Autumn to 207: Summer: vyznev
Year 207 Autumn+Winter: Random_Dragon
Year 208 Spring+Summer: DS
Year 208 Autumn+Winter: Basin is BACK
Year 209 Spring+Summer: Scruffy
Year 209 ? Scruffy: (!!Magma Holiday Edition!!)
? to Year 210 Winter: Shoruke
Year 211: PeterisP (Fortress falls due to Gobbos)

Fortress is open for Reclaim since there are no clowns, but there is quite a lot of magma around, so perhaps the next overseer should just pick a new site.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:34:29 pm by Omeganaut »
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: January 13, 2014, 01:06:01 pm »

Would you believe I didn't even know we had a roof hatch? And I was the previous overseer!

The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »

Hey, I totally played a turn once! :0

Also, I might try and take another turn this weekend, or maybe on Thursday after I've had a few drinks, buuut by the time I get home from the city I might just crash. Not sure how I could get my drunken self to remember... :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: January 13, 2014, 01:34:29 pm »

Didn't the fort just, you know, die? I suppose you could take it up from the last save, though. Good luck!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: January 14, 2014, 09:23:09 pm »

I
Didn't the fort just, you know, die?
Hardly the first time it's died :D

Next drunk person gets to choose between reclaiming or starting a new fort in the same world.
how do I lizard Werewolf
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 341