Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [HELP?] Could fly before, now can't  (Read 1237 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
[HELP?] Could fly before, now can't
« on: March 18, 2013, 03:28:08 pm »

Alright, so I've decided to do a little bit of wandering around and gave my humans wings + [FLIER] tag.
At first it kind of worked, I could fly (although only up to a certain height, unless I found a higher vantage point of sorts), but now I can't - that said, when carefully moving off edges it does say my character is flying - he doesn't fall down, but I can't move in that state, only via careful moving.

What do?
I want to explore my world in a more epic way, but I apparently can't for some ungodly reason within like 30 seconds.

EDIT: Oddly, now I can, and could fly up even higher than before.
What, is flying dependent on wind or something? Does DF push it that far?

EDIT2: Also, sometimes when I'm high up in the air (or not that high, sometimes), I can see those pitch black solid impassable walls of God-knows-what that block movement from below and from the sides - could it be what was limiting me in one of the earlier areas?
On a side note, strangling an owl mid-air that falls down and bleeds to death is truly an epic kill.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:34:20 pm by DarkDXZ »

Heimdall86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [HELP?] Could fly before, now can't
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:23:14 pm »

It might be that you cant move to areas above a certain point because of how the world generates. It only makes like (10?) levels above the top layer of ground by default. Not an expert, just a guess.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:56:58 pm »

This is typical behavior, not an error at all. You see, some areas generate higher then others, so for example on a mountain you could probably go several stories up, but on a plane you might not be able to fly at all. After all, the game isn't made for flying adventurers, so it is bound to be a little weird.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:04:02 pm »

This is typical behavior, not an error at all. You see, some areas generate higher then others, so for example on a mountain you could probably go several stories up, but on a plane you might not be able to fly at all. After all, the game isn't made for flying adventurers, so it is bound to be a little weird.

Basically this. Each area has a "roof" which you can't fly above, and on flat areas you may not be able to fly at all. Those black walls can represent the boundaries of a map tile, because what you're actually seeing is the "roof" of the tile next to you, and you can't fly above that.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »

Well, that's pretty shitty, since it severely slows down my mountain travel. D:
I would love to see the "roof" raised to a higher level, since apparently birds and the like seem to ignore them completely.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:05:19 pm »

Birds follow it just as much as you do. There's an infinite sky plugin for DFHack.