Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raws and XML and Excel, oh my!  (Read 1075 times)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Raws and XML and Excel, oh my!
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »

Good afternoon.

Having finally gotten several major tasks off my desk, I'm in a position to re-visit my long-idle MMO (Metals and Minerals Overhaul) project. However, I'd like to do it in the most user (and modder) friendly manner I can manage. If at all possible, I'd really like to avoid having to do all the changes necessary either by hand or by endless rounds of text search-and-replace (although I do have a rather nifty Windoze GREP installed now).

What I'd LIKE to do, is export the relevant RAWS dat to XML, import that into Excel (which I know is kinda sucky, but something I'm FAMILIAR with), make my changes there, and then re-export to XLM, and then finally back to the RAWS. I've poked at the rawxlm program, and it seems to send to XML OK (although I don't know crap ABOUT XML, so I could easily be missing something). Import into Excel 2010 from the XML file also seems to work fine, but Excel won't export BACK to XML becasue the mapping is missing or incomplete or something (I don't know crap about XML, remember?).

SO, all that said, is this even something that's really do-able? I'm willing to invest some time in learning how to use the tools I'll need, but if it ultimately isn't going to work, or end up being more trouble than doing it manually, I'm not doing myself any favors.

What's the current state of DF raw --> data-friendly format(s)? On a closely-related topic, what's the main mod-applier these days, or has that line of effort faded away (I think the last one I played with was Uristmod)? Any linkage or suggestions are much appreciated.

Rochndil, probably forgotten but not gone...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raws and XML and Excel, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 04:47:15 pm »

I would actually recommend Raw Explorer.  Its easy, Gui based, and allows you to select items from a list. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0

Good Luck!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Raws and XML and Excel, oh my!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »

Thanks, I'd DLed that one but forgot about it. I'll definitely give it a good look-over tomorrow.

Rochndil, who has bad people to kill (in Morrowind) tonight...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!