Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The velvet revolution  (Read 1142 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
The velvet revolution
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:11:20 pm »

As a corrolary to the previous thread, I want to win the game wihtout firing a single shot. How would I do this?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: The velvet revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:12:33 pm »

Lots of punching

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:13:18 pm »

Lots of punching

I've had Kung-Fu Guy Fawkes squads before. They are surprisingly effective.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:16:54 pm »

I would use a wide-ranging strategy. Some elements of it might include:

- Graffiti, causing trouble, writing for the Liberal Guardian.
- Site actions that involve infiltration, theft, stealth.
- Hackers and thieves to pick up special edition material for the Guardian.
- A sleeper lawyer and the money to hire him or her ($100 per person), or training for everyone to self-represent in court.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:35:20 am »

I've done this one a few times, it was the first way I managed to win.  It can be done without firing, punching, or infact ever being seen.

For easy 'velvet' mode then use the liberal guardian and a stealthy individual to steal stuff for them to run in special editions.  You can generally win the game within around 4 years using only 2 characters, thief and writer.  And the only reason it takes that long is the usual entrenched politicians.

For a harder 'velvet' I prohibit myself from building a guardian.  Victory here is still surprisingly easy and often faster than a violent route.  Stealth is great, just rob a load of sites blind, even if you strip the site completely and leave with them only suspicious they seem to suspect you and the papers credit you.

The reason I find the non-violent route so absurdly easy is that you can steal every single last loot item at a site (and interact with all machines/etc) and as long as you didnt do any shooting then the site will not close down.  As you may already know, leaving a site on high security rather than closed down has a larger impact on opinion.

The only 'velvet' that busts my balls is velvet from nightmare.  You pull that one off you let me know :)  Technically its no harder than from regular start if you are being non-violent, but you dont get to make any mistakes, generally my thief will make at least 2 trips to the courts before i win (he defends himself, nobody in my organisations is ever below 4 law), in a nightmare mode you may not have that option if you didnt manage to dislodge the deathsquads yet.  Nightmare starts also rule out activities like graffiti and disobediance untill midgame (unless you like to run from DSquad).  For velvet from nightmare i really must highly recommend focusing the courthouse and police station asap until the DSquad vanishes
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:38:05 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 01:13:44 am »

Black turtleneck= cloak of invisibility.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:46:40 am »

The real trouble is that there's no way to take out the CCS.  If you play without them the country is pretty slow in it's drift to conservative, making your job pretty easy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:24 am »

The real trouble is that there's no way to take out the CCS.  If you play without them the country is pretty slow in it's drift to conservative, making your job pretty easy.

The newfangled CCS Backer List will help with this.