Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elf/Human/Goblin Fortress  (Read 6307 times)

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf/Human/Goblin Fortress
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:46:41 pm »

Forgive me if this has been suggested before (I'm sure it has), but I can't seem to find the thread for it.

As we saw recently, Goblins now get their own misshapen homes.  Toady said he plans to give Elves large trees to burn them alive in.  We have the option in adventurer mode to be an Elf, Human, or Dwarf.  Why can't we start our own Elf or Human fortress, or even Goblin or that new race we heard rumors about?

The code for a Human town should be fairly similar to dwarves, just some different happiness requirements such as the absolute need for alcohol or the lack of cave adaption.  Perhaps Humans could get 'cave sickness' if they don't see the sun every few months, while Elves need the sun at least once a month.  Goblins would differ in that they would kidnap new citizens as well as breed their own.

I mean, sure, there is nothing stopping us from building an above-ground city with walls and houses and just pretending it's a human town, but it'd be a nice feature to have.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:24:24 pm by CorruptUser »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Elf/Human/Goblin Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 04:36:21 pm »

Planned, and suggested to death. It's been a while, though.

Use the Search function, please.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:35:47 pm »

Its called DWARF Fortress for a reason...

what I want is goblin adventures...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:04 pm »

Its called DWARF Fortress for a reason...

what I want is goblin adventures

As far as I know adventure modes is stll called DWARF FORTRESS. I'd like to be able to play a gobline site with unique goblin features eventually, but i'd rather have the dwarf fortrressess more or less complete first. With one programmer it might go a bit too slow trying to do tooo many things at once.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:11:10 pm »

Ya but adventure mode is diffrent...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Chaos Turtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:30:00 pm »

I also prefer to stick it to monorace game and get it to perfection, if You would like to get elves/humans/goblins, than everything would be changed, goblind wouldntn be able to invade other races (So where is point in being a goblin), humans live shorter amount of time, so the idea od living, dying and having kids would have to be changed - Humans usually had about 6 kids in middle ages, so imagine Your town ;) - And dog meat elves... Please.. There is no civilization to be spoken of, only woodcutters, and hunters (Yes, Elves do everything out of wood, and animals, so they MUST HAVE WOODCUTTERS! Stupid bunch of hipocrytes...) there would be absolutely no mining (does anyone seen elven miner..?) or metal industry.. Every race would have to be completely different to make it really count, and not naming every dwarf a goblin.

That makes 4 times the wait between updates, and 4 times more work for Toady...

Sorry but im against that idea...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:27:58 pm »

Not everything, or even most things, would need to be done four times over, although the races should probably work better as NPCs (thereby getting most of the race-specific stuff out of the way) before Toady works on making them playable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 12:32:27 am »

Well, the biggest thing that would change for Humans vs Dwarves is mounts.  Human forts would start off with the ability to ride horses, and I suppose captured large creatures; everything goblins can ride, up to cave dragons.  Yes, I once had goblins invade my fort riding friggen cave dragons, on the first siege no less.

Also, human nobles could vary in what justice they want.  A truly draconian baron might order executions for so much as a theft, or citizens could be banished entirely from the fort.

Anyway, yeah, this would be for after DF is relatively finished, and mroe importantly the issue with frame-rate is fixed.  My computer is not exactly old, but most of my forts tend to end in crippling lag.  I use battery farms for my meat industry, and avoid perpetual motion plants, but even with a pop cap of 80 DF can come to a crawl in a developed fort.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 06:22:57 am »

I still don't see how adding some more races to Fortress Mode would require coding the same features four times. Yes, some new features would need to be added, but Toady would have probably added them anyway.
And why shouldn't dwarves ride dralthas or giant badgers or something to battle?
Sig

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 03:46:45 pm »

I hope you gentlemen know that this is a planned feature, right?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 04:32:55 pm »

Sig

sabre909

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:18:31 pm »

to the arrogant people saying use search this is the only thread you get thanks

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:33:39 pm »

to the arrogant people saying use search this is the only thread you get thanks
Yes, that's the point.  One thread is sufficient and revival is perfectly fine.  Its not arrogance, its the way things work around here.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:48:58 am »

That's not it, SuicideJunkie,
It wasn't suggested before because it was always part of Toady's plans for the game.

See the old devpages

He's talked about not just intending to put in playing goblin towers and elven retreats, but also wizard towers and the like, as well.

It's part of the forum rules to search both the devpages and for past threads on the subject before you post, as well.  It's not really arrogance to state the rules to someone who isn't following them, although care should be taken in how you state it, as there's always going to be those who will take offense...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FORUM_LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 12:52:57 am »

That's not it, SuicideJunkie,
It wasn't suggested before because it was always part of Toady's plans for the game.

See the old devpages

He's talked about not just intending to put in playing goblin towers and elven retreats, but also wizard towers and the like, as well.

It's part of the forum rules to search both the devpages and for past threads on the subject before you post, as well.  It's not really arrogance to state the rules to someone who isn't following them, although care should be taken in how you state it, as there's always going to be those who will take offense...

OH WOW! I honestly had no idea that this rule actually existed! I'm too used to other forums FROWNING about ressurecting old threads that I nevered bothered with LOGIC! Thank Armok for random thread surfing!
Pages: [1] 2