Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 109625 times)

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:23 pm »

Okay, so I got bored and gave some Elephants cyborg implants. They got laser eyes, robotic limbs, and a hive mind. Big mistake. I'm down to one child who's walled off in its bedroom, but that won't last. Any tips?
I would say replace the child's body with metal and make a super-soldier, but you need at least two dwarves to do that since the kid wouldn't survive the pain of the surgery by itself. So instead cyborgize a bunch of kittens, let them adopt the kid, and then unleash the horde.
The only thing left to cyborgize is a dog, and digging with hands doesn't leave building materials. Hang on, migrant wave. Lets hope they last.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

Lazerlatté

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2012, 04:19:54 pm »

Well, this is odd. Some sort of dimensional corruption field I created when I pulled a random lever while raiding a abandoned fortress full of cyber-clowns is just sitting on this random tile somewhere in the mountains... And for some reason, something about this thing is taking random civs and turning them into flat deserts full of human outsiders... What did I do and... How do I prevent this darn thing from destroying my world?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2012, 06:49:22 pm »

Okay, seriously, stop.

DF will not pass 1400.

Stop giving dwarves futuristic tech.

-----

That is all.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2012, 07:03:02 pm »

You said that to your version of DF, I guess? I tried that once, but it didn't listen. Then it proceeded to read my browser history to me. *shudders*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:48 pm »

Here's a tip, though...  Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

* I hope.  It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

OK, I'm just going to sig this, if you don't mind.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2012, 07:31:47 am »

Okay, seriously, stop. DF will not pass 1400. Stop giving dwarves futuristic tech.
*shrug* Modded game. But yeah, whole "AI gets out of DF and takes over real world" crap gets old quickly. Any story of this kind automatically destroys my suspension of disbelief. Someone would thought that if 2050 average computer would be capable of maintaining AI created from code that was not specifically programmed to create AI (this in itself is another kind of impossible), then today's supercomputers in research centers in USA and all around world would already create it, here and now. While they are not 40 years in future compared to today desktops, sciencists certainly try their best to create code that is capable of being something more than set of instructions.

Ah well, Sturgeon's law and all of that. I will read this again to feel better and pretend that rest of this thread does not exist.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2012, 07:50:15 am »

Okay, seriously, stop. DF will not pass 1400. Stop giving dwarves futuristic tech.
*shrug* Modded game. But yeah, whole "AI gets out of DF and takes over real world" crap gets old quickly. Any story of this kind automatically destroys my suspension of disbelief. Someone would thought that if 2050 average computer would be capable of maintaining AI created from code that was not specifically programmed to create AI (this in itself is another kind of impossible), then today's supercomputers in research centers in USA and all around world would already create it, here and now. While they are not 40 years in future compared to today desktops, sciencists certainly try their best to create code that is capable of being something more than set of instructions.

Ah well, Sturgeon's law and all of that. I will read this again to feel better and pretend that rest of this thread does not exist.

Supercomputers' hardware are closer to around 5 to 10 years ahead of high end desktop ( or fancy gaming machine, really ) for most part (Not the whole machine, there're lots of hardwares there ). It's pretty much expected that a supercomputer can stimulate human mind by around 2030 to 2040's in sheer processing capacity, but that's assuming Moore's law holds up ( which I don't think it will that far ). Systems designed to adjust and compete can accidentally form a primitive AI, but those's really side effect of self-adjustment, which's basis of functional AI rather than fixed expert system.

While I can see DF forming basis of accidental higher level swarm AI someday, it breaking out of the box is pretty unlikely, unless someone wanted to let it :D

Also current supercomputer can stimulate part of a rat's brain or human brainstem, and that's on a relatively smaller machine, which was done a few years ago.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2012, 08:29:32 am »

any proof that such ai hasnt been already created and isnt hiding in the network?
if you are a linux user you should give "endgame singularity" a shot, thats a pretty good game exactly about that
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2012, 08:32:10 am »

Supercomputers' hardware are closer to around 5 to 10 years ahead of high end desktop ( or fancy gaming machine, really ) for most part (Not the whole machine, there're lots of hardwares there ).
In what sense of "ahead"? If you mean raw computing power, then no, it is way more ahead. Technologically, they are in line with current computers and GPUs (only with fancy cooling and throwing hundred thousand processors at once at problem).

Of course, raw computing power is not same as what you can do with it. For example, DF would perform badly on these supercomputers, as single core (one from 100k+ in modern supercomputer) is usually slower than core on desktop computer. You could run hundred thousand instances of DF at once, but what's point of this? It is not like these all instances would share same world, sadly.

It's pretty much expected that a supercomputer can stimulate human mind by around 2030 to 2040's in sheer processing capacity, but that's assuming Moore's law holds up ( which I don't think it will that far ).
Sheer processing capacity != system that use said capacity. It is like claiming elements like 65% oxygen, 18% carbon, 10% hydrogen, 3% nitrogen, etc (by mass) mixed in large bucket is human. I do not think real AIs (whatever this mean) will be around any time soon. Not in this century. In our lifetime we will getting something capable of beating Turning test, though. This will be last nail in coffin for this test, ironically enough.

Systems designed to adjust and compete can accidentally form a primitive AI (...) I can see DF forming basis of accidental higher level swarm AI someday
I disagree very, very much. If AI was so easy to create, we would already have it. Believing in "accidental AI creation" is like believing in spontaneous generation of old days. Reality Does Not Work In That Way(tm).

any proof that such ai hasnt been already created and isnt hiding in the network?
Erm... you seem to be very mistaken. You claim there is AI lurking at internet, you have to present proof for it. I do not have to prove anything. Google "Burden of proof".

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2012, 08:33:38 am »

the proof thing was a joke pal, I'm not claiming anything  ;)
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2012, 03:57:04 pm »

OK, so can we just agree to stop making jokes about AIs escaping the game and get back to the funny stuff?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2012, 06:49:32 pm »

the proof thing was a joke pal, I'm not claiming anything  ;)
Ah, okay. Lack of smiley triggered that kneejerk response.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2012, 09:11:51 pm »

(...so, I guess someone will have a problem with the following, then...)

I started messing about with some of the Universegen configuration settings.  And now I know why "Expansion" is generally set to be a value of 2.0 or greater (you have to edit the configs to use lesser values, and even then you get something similar to an Embark Warning, for those that don't already know)...  When you set the matter/anti-matter ratio to equal and there is a universal expansion of only 1.0 in the early times, you end up with a radiation-rich universe with virtually no structure left to it.  Well, you've seen how frustrating that is.

With your Expansion set to the recommended levels (or higher), equal matter/anti-matter ratios cause an enormous amount of chaos, yes, but you get symmetry breaking at local levels so that significant regions of creation end up primarily of either one or the other type, and with the Expansion set to a 'reasonable' (i.e. allowed) value you find stable areas of universe that are sufficiently in the centre of one or other zone of polarisation that the inevitable matter/anti-matter interface effects are actually beyond the effective event horizon of these central areas, and leaves these areas (which you'll have noted are where the stable embarks lie) experiencing an observable universe of pretty much only matter (or anti-matter; but as has already been pointed out by others, this is normalised to be termed matter, in anti-matter-rich universegens, with the rare incidents of matter being renamed as anti-...  and this is as true for a stable zone embark in a patchwork universe).  The remnants of the early annihilation of course get interpreted as the CBR by your primitive society, also influencing their underestimated ideas of the age of the universe.

Beware, though, because if/when you get spontaneous wormholes between zones... well, it's not pretty.  (Probably why some of us can find a lot of Region Rejects when setting Spacial Pliability too high.)  Buffering with exotic and 'dark' particles and energies helps, though.

Oh yeah, and breaking the nominally coded upper limit on Expansion does (as already revealed in that other thread) tear the whole of creation apart before coalescence of anything habitable, normally.  Although loading the Big Bang with enough extra energy might get you enough spontaneous energy->mass conversion to populate it with a lot of early activity (singularities will abound, though), if you carefully fiddle with some of the other parameters as well.  I can't hand-hold you through that, though, because I'm my preferred end-result is a bit more flat and boring than the common consensus, in the first place.

(Oh yeah, I think I have got a handle on what sparks those occasional inter-planetary sieges.  When a planet's inhabitants search for the mythical Higgs, but accidentally get the thing they'll eventually (and equally erroneously) call the supersymmetric Shiggs boson, first, their experiment sends a detectable superluminal ripple that seems to attract the nasties.  As far as I can tell, you can't actually guide your charges towards getting the safer (and perhaps repellent?) version first, but I'm not sure whether this is hard-coded randomness or just something remotely connected with the above matter-polarity normalisation and other embark choices.)

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2012, 09:49:38 pm »

So, More on the carpsprings tale.. he gets home, just as the elven caravan arrives... Now, let me get a bit into their history. Due to a primordial necromancer taking up residence near a leyline. they'd picked up a major aversion to non-druidic magic early on.  (assuming that they are standard enough elves that bookmaking is reserved for the most important matters.) and, a tolerance for slavery.

Anyways, hard to tell what exactly happened, since I didn't think to pause before running off to get a drink. But, near as I can tell, one of the kobold disciples said something unflattering about the elven merchant's hat, and the whole matter snowballed until the caravan is dead.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2012, 08:43:50 am »

Okay, so I got bored and gave some Elephants cyborg implants. They got laser eyes, robotic limbs, and a hive mind. Big mistake. I'm down to one child who's walled off in its bedroom, but that won't last. Any tips?
I would say replace the child's body with metal and make a super-soldier, but you need at least two dwarves to do that since the kid wouldn't survive the pain of the surgery by itself. So instead cyborgize a bunch of kittens, let them adopt the kid, and then unleash the horde.
I am SO going to sig this.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48