Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 109740 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #345 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:43 pm »

Didn't you guys already make a thread for the war?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 31, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »

I'm glad I wasn't stationed there. I liked them both. I still think that Toady should have kept out of it. It was not our fight.

Actually, wasn't that the imposter of Toady that EA had planted?
That is actually a double bluff on EA's part.
Locked due to hateful comments. I swear, the nerve of some people!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 31, 2013, 08:31:51 pm »

Locked due to hateful comments. I swear, the nerve of some people!
Wait, what?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 01, 2013, 09:55:36 am »

I'm glad I wasn't stationed there. I liked them both. I still think that Toady should have kept out of it. It was not our fight.

Actually, wasn't that the imposter of Toady that EA had planted?
No, that was a rumor we spread later in order to [REDACTED].
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Shadowscynthe

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:VULPINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 02, 2013, 04:03:03 pm »

Did you see that forgotten beast?
(friend) Saw it? (FB explodes in)
I TAMED IT!
I WILL BITE YOUR HEAD OFF!!!

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 17, 2015, 06:08:42 am »

Renofox posts!
Thread shudders and begins to move!

Some time ago I made an all social skills character, and have been playing it as a kind of trader/conman character. I built a successful company, amassed wealth and had connections with powerful officials and a local bandit clan to keep the competition to minimum. Everything was running well, so I didn't know what to do with the character. Until I saw Abuth Feverlog...

Feverlog was a dwarven bard/inventor, who travelled around playing an instrument he had invented himself. He was terrible, and would have been better off as a beggar than a bard, playing his unbearably annoying little horn in the hopes that it would catch on. I was already planning to retire my character, so I decided to spend the rest of his time messing with the bard.

The peasants gathered around the dwarf were rapidly losing their patience at the starting note that seemed to go on forever, and seemed to be on the verge of either leaving or pelting him with rotten fruit. They noticed my arrival and waited for my reaction before going haywire themselves. Instead of condemning the dwarf, I just closed my eyes and smiled blissfully. I told my lackey that this music had the divine melodies so complex that only great philosophers had even contemplated their existence, and asked if he agreed. Being my boot-licking servant, he naturally agreed with everything I said. The peasants were confused, but since I was well-known as a brilliant man of high societies, the "emperors new clothes" effect started taking effect and the social climbers among the crowd started "hearing" the music as well. By the time the concert was over the crowd was cheering, his tip cup was full and he had been asked to appear at two private events.

For the next three days, I dragged my associates to see the bard with me. The more powerful ones agreed with me pretty noncommittally, while the ones with more to lose joined me in praising the dwarf. I invited all who agreed with me to join a private meeting and made exceptionally generous deals with them, all while keeping the discussion around the intricacies of Feverlogs music.

I was going to keep promoting him for a little longer, but a perfect opportunity just happened to fall into my lap. A local duke was getting married, and planning a grand ceremony with hundreds of guests. I pulled all the favors I could and spent a fortune on spies, bribes and mercenaries, but I managed to orchestrate the kidnapping of the future duchess! I didn't ransom the duke for money - I demanded that he invites Feverlog to play at his wedding, and pretends to like it.

As the day of the wedding drew close and the attempts at locating and rescuing the bride failed, the duke finally succumbed to my demands. The kidnapping had been kept secret, so when the wedding opened the appearance of Abuth Feverlog, now dressed like a nobleman and his crappy little horn remade with gold and jewels became as a surprise to everyone. Some of the guests already knew him thanks to me, and now that the duke himself had hired him they were all boasting about how they had known about him for a long time and how they had realized right away that he was destined for greatness. The show of course was absolutely awful, but with the duke himself applauding along with his new wife, everyone was soon applauding wildly out of sheer social pressure.

The word of Feverlog and his groudbreaking new instrument quickly traveled throughout the lands, and soon aspiring copycats and entire music schools formed around him. My adventurer never swung a sword or killed a dragon, but what he did was even more unlikely: He made a dwarven vuvuzela into a high-class instrument.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 17, 2015, 09:38:00 am »

Oh man that was a fun read.
I was hoping to see the downfall of the dwarf come to pass, but still that was pretty hilarious.

Abraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 19, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »

I had a dream last night Toady had announced Oculus Rift integration for Dwarf Fortress :(

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 19, 2015, 03:29:39 pm »

Log from 5/19/2050:
I had a dream last night Toady had announced multithreading for Dwarf Fortress :(

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2015, 08:39:27 pm »

Has FPS death been getting worse lately? In this version I can barely get a thousand dwarves before the game slows to a crawl.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »

Yeesh, what rock are you trying to run the game on? I've a half decent laptop, and I can easily push 50k without serious frame drops.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2015, 10:28:56 pm »

Yeesh, what rock are you trying to run the game on? I've a half decent laptop, and I can easily push 50k without serious frame drops.
It's a pathfinding problem. When you open up the 3rd dimension, the honey badger population gets confused as to whether they're supposed to be tracking into or around the rifts in time.

Dfhack plugin fix-warpspace should sort you out. But the game will still crash if a tree grows through the rift.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:00 pm »

Oh, ya, of course, that'll do it.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2015, 08:28:01 am »

Man, since the UN ruled that sufficiently complicated AI has animal right, DF has really changed. The monitoring program to make sure I'm not continuing my past arbitrary sacrificing program or doing !!SCIENCE!! is really killing my FPS.
On the plus side, I was able to convince PETA that my fort was an unfunded nature preserve since it runs so automatically it appears the dwarves are just doing things on their own, so they've stopped bothering me.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 48