Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 109736 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #420 on: October 21, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »

...Holy carp, I think the timetrav encryption on this page is broken.
Hello from.
Well.
Elephants.  Carp.  ASCII.  The original economy.
At which point I shall just...WAIT.  TOADY DIES?!
* TheBiggerFish cancels Unbreak Timetrav Encryption: Pre-emptively going mad.
((Also, PTW.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 27, 2015, 02:43:11 pm »

Hey, guys! I just realized something! In DF2050 millitary dwarves pick up equipment correctly! Toady Two finally got round to fixing bugs!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 27, 2015, 03:02:02 pm »

Hey, guys! I just realized something! In DF2050 millitary dwarves pick up equipment correctly! Toady Two finally got round to fixing bugs!
Holy flying skeletal carp!  The Rapture is upon us!
In 2050.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 28, 2015, 05:44:26 am »

False alarm.  Said dwarves do not discriminate on forbidden, and will constantly move to location of their chosen forbidden item, try to pick it up, send spam messages, go on break add repeat.

I had real fun with a forbidden axe located in the last battlefield.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 28, 2015, 05:52:41 am »

False alarm.  Said dwarves do not discriminate on forbidden, and will constantly move to location of their chosen forbidden item, try to pick it up, send spam messages, go on break add repeat.

Aw.
Sigtext

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 28, 2015, 07:04:30 am »

You can actually stop them from doing that with the Forbidden Combat, Sailing, etc tools, weapons, etc menu. I think it's just ctrl-alt-shift-p-q-t from the fifth forbidden, etc menu (shift-fn-p-4 from main sub-menu 6 in case you forgot). Works most of the time anyhow!

Aetharan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 28, 2015, 07:23:15 am »

My last couple of worlds wound up pretty sci-fi, including one that played a lot like I'd wound up in Starship Troopers, so I decided to generate a world in the high-fantasy style:  Tech level capped at 1400 CE, seven procedurally-generated schools of magic, highly active deities.  The works.  Let it run up to 5k years, and had a look in legends.  I was...  mildly surprised, to put it lightly.

In the year 512, Urist Grimdark (I couldn't be bothered to commit his real name to memory) developed a new form of magic that allowed him to convert and enslave clowns.  Two weeks later, his sister pulled the same off for Divine units.  Apparently, they'd been inspired by being the last survivors of a fort that got caught in the middle of a war between the two.  Something about a highly active temple site on top of a pierced candy vein.  Anyway, thanks to their society's high familial loyalty trait, the two stuck together and managed to found a new empire.

It only took them about fifty years to completely dominate their world, of course.  The real kicker comes in the fact that, by the year 1032, their empire had developed magitech that starts to read and function as if I'd generated a non-magic, high-tech world.  It started with steam engines powered by fire-based clowns, and just kept getting worse.  Now I'm sitting on a world with what functions as plasma rifles being described as the severed arms of wrath-angels shrouded in candy runes, and full-on interplanetary assault carriers carved out of the carcasses of defeated deities.

I must admit, I'm kind of impressed at the parallel development, but I was aiming for a Wheel of Time style Third Age, not another Bug War!  What did I do wrong with my worldgen settings?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 28, 2015, 07:27:10 am »

My last couple of worlds wound up pretty sci-fi, including one that played a lot like I'd wound up in Starship Troopers, so I decided to generate a world in the high-fantasy style:  Tech level capped at 1400 CE, seven procedurally-generated schools of magic, highly active deities.  The works.  Let it run up to 5k years, and had a look in legends.  I was...  mildly surprised, to put it lightly.

In the year 512, Urist Grimdark (I couldn't be bothered to commit his real name to memory) developed a new form of magic that allowed him to convert and enslave clowns.  Two weeks later, his sister pulled the same off for Divine units.  Apparently, they'd been inspired by being the last survivors of a fort that got caught in the middle of a war between the two.  Something about a highly active temple site on top of a pierced candy vein.  Anyway, thanks to their society's high familial loyalty trait, the two stuck together and managed to found a new empire.

It only took them about fifty years to completely dominate their world, of course.  The real kicker comes in the fact that, by the year 1032, their empire had developed magitech that starts to read and function as if I'd generated a non-magic, high-tech world.  It started with steam engines powered by fire-based clowns, and just kept getting worse.  Now I'm sitting on a world with what functions as plasma rifles being described as the severed arms of wrath-angels shrouded in candy runes, and full-on interplanetary assault carriers carved out of the carcasses of defeated deities.

I must admit, I'm kind of impressed at the parallel development, but I was aiming for a Wheel of Time style Third Age, not another Bug War!  What did I do wrong with my worldgen settings?
... You forgot to carry the dwarf in the ingenuity settings.
Sigtext

Aetharan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 28, 2015, 07:34:01 am »

Well, carp.  Now I can't decide between generating a new world again with lower ingenuity settings, and tooling around in adventurer with one of those dead-god battleships for a while.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:32 am »

Well, carp.  Now I can't decide between generating a new world again with lower ingenuity settings, and tooling around in adventurer with one of those dead-god battleships for a while.
Do both, dwarfception to that level should be possible.
Sigtext

Aetharan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 28, 2015, 07:43:15 am »

I'm not sure how much I trust a computer composed of magically-enslaved brains in jars (even if they are angels) to run the worldgen while I play.  That does leave me curious, though: has anybody actually run a successful fort on a magic-based computer?  How many times can you alternate between 'trons and thaums before the inherent differences in language make the next layer unreadable?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2015, 09:53:52 am »

Really the differences aren't that big, the real problem is the eventual 'ensouling' of the program you're running on a 'thaumic system, it can lead to... strangeness.  And PETA, but I have a battleship, so I don't care about PETA.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 04, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »

Dwarf Fortress still isn't multi-threaded.
My zillionth fort has withered because I couldn't deal with how slow simulating all the dwarves breathing got.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 04, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »

wasn't multi-Threading added in in version Masterwork IIV?

Or are you running base vanilla?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 05, 2015, 06:37:21 pm »

You mean version III? I've never seen 3 depicted that way, and 7 would be VII.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 48