Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 109721 times)

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #675 on: March 08, 2016, 11:57:57 am »

meanwhile I'm playing 40d
thincake

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 08, 2016, 11:58:41 am »

hey, how do I atom-smash without creating an atomic explosion, and how do i collect the energy for my factories?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 08, 2016, 12:22:44 pm »

meanwhile I'm playing 40d
40 dimensions???  How does that even render?  What kind of rig are you using?

EDIT: Oh, you mean version 40d.  That is seriously old-school.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 11, 2016, 03:59:59 pm »

one of my dwarves got a mood, and made a "dimensional door". what is this, and what does it do?
EDIT: AAAAAAAHHHHH a free-standing door appeared in my room. I looked inside it and there were stone rooms with short booze-soaked creatures inside. AAAAAHHHHH FB!!!!!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 11, 2016, 04:01:30 pm »

Dammit, I thought Toady had fixed the IB12WAF bug.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 11, 2016, 04:24:43 pm »

Oh, well, shit, I should probably not open any of my old saves then.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 12, 2016, 12:17:15 pm »

Dwarf Fortress 40k is pretty neat. It includes Denobula as a planetary template.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 13, 2016, 07:43:07 am »

Today, ladies and gentlemen, I did something insane.

I played a game of Dwarf Fortress again. And my oh my was it worth it.

It has been 10 years since my last fort, and so much has changed that I can't even believe it. I loved this game to piece for years, so I decided that now was the time (I needed some distraction, as there was a death in the family) to boot op df.exe again.

First thing I do is gen a world. Large amounts of magic, MASSIVE godly presence and 15 random civs. I look through the myths and I find out that there are some magic artifacts scattered around that massively boosts the physical ability of those around it, one of which is named the "Spear of Armok" and another "The Torch of Boatmurdered." I find this acceptable. So, I then truly begin by making a fortress. A military base to hold off eastern Grenyer (random civ, massive barbarian creatures that live in tribes and use black magic. They have a thing for necromancy) tribes, as they are beginning to march into the heartland of the Imperial Dyes, the premiere dwarven empire. They have colonies in several planes, and are beginning to expand out of the region more. Anyway, this base is set up in a mountain pass, near the ruins of another base where I will eventually set up some defenses. There were some drifting Berro (another civ, nomadic and highly religious but frail) that had set up camp there, but I thought I would get to them later.

So, I start with a single battalion and 15 highly talented craftsdwarves. I start out by moving half the battalion outside the map, setting up defensive positions. The rest begin immediate construction of my little fortress, carving quickly into the sides of the pass. I begin planning for my next move. The startup screen told me that the king wanted me to defend against the enemy, not attack them. I was unsure, though. I liked this little dwarven civ, as it had quite an interesting history (multiple civil wars, holy benediction yada yada yada) and the Grenyer were a threat. I began plans for a mobile fortress, capable of moving into enemy territory with massive amounts of troops within and destroying any enemy and a League of Assassins with the name "The Killy Killers of Killers" and massive knives. So, a couple years pass, and things are about silent. The occasional patrol get's ambushed, but casualties are low and I didn't want to make an arena of death just yet.

And then I get an announcement; A courier has arrived.

I watch as he walks into the fortress, clearly running. He stops just short of the General, and starts speaking. I don't have the conversation log handy, so I can't quite him, but I certainly remember the gist. He said that demons were marching upon the capital, killing everything in their path, showing no mercy.

Now, in this world of constant devine intervention, this isn't all that uncommon. Gods show up in taverns, demons pillage and murder and life goes on. Except that this horde was massive. 120,000 demons, led by a mysterious cloaked being (which, by the way, is awesome. Procedural generation KNOWS) going by the name "LanceSpeared". Everything had fallen, be it PailStabbed or BloodGarbage the Hold of the North to his onslought. The mountain-home was next. We were the only one to not experience their wrath.

My reaction was, of course, to finish the big ass moving fortress.

(To be continued????)

.....you know, if you like.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:40:06 pm by 90908 »
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 13, 2016, 10:35:52 am »

Help!  My single-core (quantum processor unit) qpu is overheating running the latest patch of DF:2050 v92.04.
I'm only rendering a medium region with 1 cavern layer, and there's no issue with the latest drivers on NVidia qgpu with tera-bit caching.
My legacy VR goggles from 2045 still renders the voxel-world beautifully.
My yottabyte (quantum-state drive) qsd server is not even half-full yet.

This is really important to me guys!  My 2 grand kids are joining me on my a fortress this weekend.  This is the only way to show them how to old-school farm above ground!  And the 3rd grand kid, currently in the incubation tube, is learning the concepts of x,y,z axis--so I think I can teach her about that via digging in DF.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 13, 2016, 11:04:17 am »

The game slows itself down if it thinks you're not doing well. I would recommend gitting gud.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 13, 2016, 12:49:13 pm »

Don't worry guys, I called the ITP (Internet Troll Police). Someone should be showing up with a Doom-bot at Egan's place in about 15 minutes.

Dwarf fortress can still only process in one dimension. A quantum processor won't be used to it's full potential.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 13, 2016, 12:58:47 pm »

Yeah, but dfhack 92.04 already utilizes quantum computing to anticate DF's states.
My bet the slow down happens from the new AI feature that goblins will hire dark dwarves to dig below your defenses before a siege is announced.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 13, 2016, 01:19:40 pm »

Anyone tried 0th dimension?
thincake

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 13, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »

Anyone tried 0th dimension?
The game ignores it and goes to the default 4.

Mind you, the metaphysics engine will often generate a plane that folks will call a "0th Dimension" or "Null Space" or whatnot, but that's not the same thing.  An actual 0-dimension plane has no internal locations at all (you are "everywhere at once"), but the in-game name is usually something like "The Eternal Song" or "Scrying Pool".

Remember, when you interrogate Legends, you get descriptions from the point of view of the selected character.  Make sure it is someone who know a bit about the cosmology.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 14, 2016, 10:18:12 pm »

@90908:MOAR.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48