Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 109723 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #690 on: April 14, 2016, 11:17:22 pm »

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 15, 2016, 12:27:14 am »

Sanctume: Have you used DFhacks parallel-interrogate command to see if you're butting heads against a co-axial user?  Some of the older QPUs don't have near-planar ignore features, leading to overlap along similar realities (and obviously slower performance and other issues).  I think that Quietust's most recent synaptic copy wrote a plugin that allows DF to override the default settings and keep your processes from interfering with each other.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 15, 2016, 03:13:18 am »

I think he goes by "The Quietust Continuum" now, ever since he formed a quantum hive-mind with his all his alternate universe selves (both organic and inorganic.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:19:57 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 15, 2016, 07:00:11 am »

@90908:MOAR.
Yessir!

Alright ladies and gents I'm back. Last week I began a tale about Dwarf Fortress 1.1.5, largely about demons and gigantic castles. Due to requests from you, the audience, I have decided to continue it.

So, from where we left off, I had a problem. A massive demon horde was utterly destroying the Imperial Dyes, city by city. Due to the placement of my fort in the east it would be a while before they marched onto Porridgedam the Death of Hives (the name of my little slice of existence, which I forgot to mention in the original post) and destroyed. I had time.

So, as I said before, my choice was to finish the big ass castle.

It was powered by an old design known as the BATTERY (which still works, despite it being made in DF2010) and several Magical Cores  (stolen from the elves, of course,) generating massive amounts of safe energy. It moves on tracks specifically designed for use on mountains and the main body of the castle is a gyroscope, allowing for steep climbs. It has a garrison of 250 dwarves (all the best, of course) and 50 ballistae and a couple of things I like to call magma cannons (catapults armed with balls of weak stone and a thin layers of metal filled with magma which breaks on impact, spreading the wonderful fluid everywhere.) It has workshops by the dozen and room for more, enough farms to survive a siege for years and even a section for civilians, just in case. All of this is wired to a defense system that would make most UristmcPlayers cry with joy. I spent all week on that thing. And my oh my was it worth it.

A month after completion, and just days after I finished loading everything in, an announcement opens up. It read as follows; Demons march upon your fortress. Run.

I'm 99% sure that's a randomly generated message. If not, then Toady has certainly not lost his flair for drama, even in his old age. Who remembers 0.68.34? Best April fools day joke EVER

Buy I digress. 150 demons, along with some followers (I did some digging later, turns out that they have some fairly massive cults,) one of whom was a master sorcerer. It was at this moment that I looked at the world map (new addition with the Mapmaker position and as revealed by scouts) and saw something ever so slightly terrifying. & symbols everywhere. I counted 562 demon forces of unknown size, each one probably capable of taking Porridgedam. I realized that this last bastion of the east would fall.

So I went to the menu, went to "Fort Options", and pressed the little button at the bottom that says "flee."

For the uninitiated, that button means that I can now move my dwarves (and my castle) away from the site. It's like adventure mode with more psychopaths under your control. I was leaving this little pass in the middle of nowhere for a brighter (and slightly deadly) future.

I ordered everyone into the castle (above capacity, sadly; I'll have to stop somewhere at some point for food) and began to power it up. The demons marched closer. One of them, a Demon of Bile, fired a  blob of it's namesake at it. I responded with a volley of magma. Ten went down. I fired again. Twenty, plus most of their cultists, were destroyed. Again and again and again, until half of their force was gone. And then their sorcerer fired a single pebble directly into the drivers eye. He died instantly.

The castle stopped moving. The guns kept on firing, but now there were blind spots. I began to order my troops out to face that threat alone (a bad plan, but a necessary one) when I got a message. "The Spirits of the Momentous Realm have taken over your fortress!"

It was at this point that the fortress started moving, without a driver, and I freaked out, saved, closed down the game and squealed in delight.

I didn't know that could happen. How does the game KNOW? I suspect it's sentient. But that, I suppose, is for next time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:40:44 am by 90908 »
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 15, 2016, 08:18:26 am »

Note for anyone still making liquid based megaprojects, the update on hydrodynamic and hydrostatic pressure is fairly big, I built a sprayer of death which mixed nitric acid (spirit of niter in the game) liquid aluminum, and magma which was then intended to be sprayed over any invaders, well, the mixing chamber cracked, followed by the pipes and the tanks of the stuff, which led to a runaway reaction, which made my fort into a large crater, this of course triggered series of volcanic eruptions larger than the worldgen had ever seen and the resulting seismic shifts and volcanic winter destroyed all life except a few of the elves which are now living on a ice algae diet.

The adventurer I did to check out the crater did actually get roughly to were the fortress had been, roughly I say because the core of the world has been exposed to the elements in the bottom of the crater, and while the elf adventurer did swim a few tiles in the lava just the lava lake had a diameter that would include a few of the nearby settlements.

All in all !!SCIENCE!! has been done, and it was !!FUN!!.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 15, 2016, 09:01:58 am »

Sanctume: Have you used DFhacks parallel-interrogate command to see if you're butting heads against a co-axial user?  Some of the older QPUs don't have near-planar ignore features, leading to overlap along similar realities (and obviously slower performance and other issues).  I think that Quietust's most recent synaptic copy wrote a plugin that allows DF to override the default settings and keep your processes from interfering with each other.

I think he goes by "The Quietust Continuum" now, ever since he formed a quantum hive-mind with his all his alternate universe selves (both organic and inorganic.)

So "The Quietust Continuum" (TCQ) is real, and not just a rumor? 
I mean, that part that TCQ exists to guard against DF-AI becoming sentient? Sentient, at least in our timeline. 
Anyway, I still think it will take another 35 years for DF-AI to get as close to 99% sentient. 

Back to my issue on QPU is overheating running the latest patch of DF:2050 v92.04.  I am testing v92.04c variant off webnode 4.0.
Thanks @NullForceOmega for the tip on how to include dfhack.synapse(). 
Thanks @Bumber on how to unmask hidden ip4 to load a request script from TCQ.   

##VirtualBeer is in on me!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 15, 2016, 11:05:33 am »

I think I've finally managed to contain Hellwing, it took some serious doing tho'.  He managed to go low-level meta on me, jumped into another of my (non-isolated) drives, and as typical started to conquer every site.  The difference this time is that I was running a non-constrained (but not unlimited) instance of DF, so he had to contend with high-level magic and pretty impressive tech.  For those of you who might have wondered, a full size ancient dragon in inexorum dreadplate can in fact facetank a fusion bomb (I was not aware of this, I really thought he was finally going to die.)  He got really caught up in learning new spells and discovering technology, which gave me time to construct a temporal stasis device at a hidden fort, once he broke through the defenses I flipped the lever and he is now stuck in a bubble of non-time.

I'm thinking of moving his data to an isolated drive and setting up an unlimited instance so I can finally talk to this jerk, he's wrecked so many of my forts at this point that I'm really starting to admire his tenacity.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 15, 2016, 11:28:55 am »

That sounds epic @NullForceOmega! 
If you make a public instance, my ##AdventureMeetDF group (we call ourselves SoCal Urist-sons `o Armok) can do a multi-adventurers raid on this Hellwing.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 15, 2016, 12:05:47 pm »

Dragons are still supposed to be tameable, right?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 15, 2016, 12:11:08 pm »

Anything is tameable if you use the right method.
Anything.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 15, 2016, 12:13:08 pm »

who remembers 40d
thincake

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 15, 2016, 12:22:55 pm »

who remembers 40d
Nope, sorry. I'm a newb.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 15, 2016, 12:46:57 pm »

who remembers 40d

I see your 40d and raise you 23a.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 15, 2016, 01:34:39 pm »

Thanks to the implementation of time travel, my dwarves can raise you -1a.
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48