Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 108623 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 06:38:17 am »

Yes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 12:12:58 pm »

Anyone wanna to suggest me what to do now? I am now the king in my adventure world.
I assasinated the king of my original civ, ordered everyone to forge the sh!t out of weapons, and conquered every other civ out there.

And now I'm bored, because apparently, all the megabeasts opened the subquantum portals and left my world.

What should I do?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »

Anyone wanna to suggest me what to do now? I am now the king in my adventure world.
I assasinated the king of my original civ, ordered everyone to forge the sh!t out of weapons, and conquered every other civ out there.

And now I'm bored, because apparently, all the megabeasts opened the subquantum portals and left my world.

What should I do?

Order your minions to make your own subquantum portal and chase them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 12:57:25 pm »

"So, I finally reached the bottom of the eerie glowing pits. You know what was down there?

Motherfucking Bruce Lee eating a 90ft bagel on top of the corpse of Chuck Norris. My computer promptly self immolated."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »

The circus is a lot less Fun now that I've mastered fission weapons. How do I get dwarves into the glowing pits in such a way that they survive long enough to bring the Fun?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 02:51:51 pm »

So, I was making cold fusion reactors out of steel, as I was low on power, but there was a meltdown on the level above. Now, my dwarves are starting to grow arms out of their Quantum Beards, so, what now? Is there a way I can "carefully" dismember the extra arms? Or should I use the extra arms to let them wield an extra sword? Or a crossbow? Or what weapon would be best?
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »

Well, Urist McWarHero has finally ascended to god-hood.

The bastard won't stop blowing up dwarves that try to butcher his pet cat.
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 11:20:50 pm »

Okay, so I just got some animals in a large open pit with that plant that turns them into animalpeople. Should I just wait to see if they will form a civ and start tradeing with me or should I get a tunnel made to unleash them on goblins?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 03:29:03 am »

Okay, so I just got some animals in a large open pit with that plant that turns them into animalpeople. Should I just wait to see if they will form a civ and start tradeing with me or should I get a tunnel made to unleash them on goblins?
Response of p much any player: MAGMA!!!
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 01:45:47 pm »

"So, I finally reached the bottom of the eerie glowing pits. You know what was down there?

Motherfucking Bruce Lee eating a 90ft bagel on top of the corpse of Chuck Norris. My computer promptly self immolated."
If you got further you could see the hint of episode 3s case i only saw the first pixel though..

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 12:17:03 am »

(Tie-in to the 2050 dev log topic, go!)

Uh guys, I managed to get a black hole collision between like six different black holes, and it's crashing my game. I know it's not a resource problem, so I'm guessing it's some kind of glitch. I already filed a bug report but I figured I aught to let you guys know because now my save is borked because once the 18 days of time inbetween the collision and the save time are up, the game crashes again due to the black holes colliding.

This space for rent

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 01:14:14 am »

So yeah, my fort's been besieged by a bunch of goblins with weirdly advanced weapons, and they're building their own fortress around mine (luckily I'd put up a shield generator before they arrived so they can't get in). But the strange thing about these goblins is that they're 3D while my world is in ASCII... Did they time travel in from the 2100 version? Any advice?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 01:39:51 am »

I can't get work gen to work. Its rejected a half billion universes now. Plz help.
By the way, what's strong nuclear force? I found it in the advanced options and didn't know what it was, so I set it to zero.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:42:40 am by Olith McHuman »

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 09:08:39 am »

Guys, any idea why my Candy weapons won't cut through a barrier of neutrons?

Also, I've finally managed to fix my adventurer's sight. I mean, a very angry noble did. The noble slapped Urist McNorris with an iron whip, which got chopped to pieces by the Candy residue on Urist's skin from the fight with a Candy Man. One of the little strips went through a hole in his skull (childhood injury) and reconnected the optical nerve to the visual cortex. As thanks, I collected the parts of the whip and killed the noble. Since then, the whip has been coated in gold to protect it from rust - good items deserve a long life.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Fjords to Plowshares

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 11:47:14 pm »

People talk a lot of crap about the feedback learning model.  A lot of that's justified, I'll admit, but it generates so many great moments that I could never go back to DF pre v1.4.

Let me show you what I mean.

It was my fortress' twenty-third year, and things were going well.  Population had more-or-less stabilized at 1200 dwarves, caravans and patrols were up, all that good stuff.  The fort was based in a gigantic limestone seam in a largeish mountain.  I had plenty left over even after setting up the spare housing and panic room, so I carved out the level below the panic room and took another run at my Supercollider concept (basically it's girlinhat's Firehose design, except the limestone's porosity was supposed to bleed off enough energy to stabilize the feedback loop, so that you can fire kinetic bullets instead of bursts of superheated gas.  If it worked it'd be DF's first workable ICBM, but it doesn't quite for reasons too complicated to explain here).

So: plenty of dwarves, immediate landscape subjugated, proto-superweapon in the basement busily building up air pressure and thus heat.  So far so good.  Then the Hatfields immigrated.

The Hatfields had a long, long, long history with the McCoys.  If I'm reading the logs right, about 500 years earlier a branch of the Hatfields belief-cascaded into a gestalt demigod, which couldn't sustain itself because it'd turned all its proto-worshippers into a single semidivine being.  It went demonic and sacrified a bunch of nearby McCoys, but ultimately fell apart anyway when it ran out of food.  I think.  But whatever, their host culture scored crazy-high in Retribution, Ferocity, and Oral Tradition, so once it was on it was going to stay on forever.

I should note that I'm reconstructing the early bits from the logs - I didn't notice the Hatfields right away.  The McCoys had established themselves five years previous; collectively they had "warm" or "intimate" relationships with 4/5ths of my dwarves.  So the Hatfields didn't quite dare force a confrontation, and the McCoys valued their relationship with the Watch Captain too much to do anything overt.  There was a rash of mysterious unsolved crimes around then, but I didn't put it together until after the fact.

Things didn't get really out of hand until someone looted the treasury.  My guardsmen never caught the parties responsible, but it had to be one of those two families; they each accused each other of gigantic thefts, more or less simultaneously (incidentally, this would be a case where complaint about the learning model is totally deserved.  The treasury disappeared, and then the Hatfields reported a treasury-sized theft?  DO THE FREAKING MATH, GENIUSES!)

With the economy broken open, it was suddenly feasible to hire my old adventurers as assassins.  I took that as a good sign: the extra money would leave the economy, the feuding parties would kill each other off, and I'd be able to go back to fiddling with my Supercollider.  There was indeed plenty of assassination, but one of the victims was the Mayor, who'd somehow managed to remain on friendly terms with both parties.  In the emergency election, the dwarves overwhelmingly elected Boss McCoy - according to the logs, over half the voters cited "ending this long-running feud" as their primary concern.  Ominous.

Anyway, Boss McCoy's first official act was to claim the Hatfield residences for some nebulous "special project".  His second act was to ban the manufacture and export of gold items, which by a crazy coincidence was their primary source of income.  The writing was on the wall for Boss Hatfield, and he was pissed; I don't think I've ever seen that deep a red in the mood window.  I was all set to watch the briefest, most one-sided civil war in the history of DF, but instead he did these things:

1. He persuaded the old mayor's son, who still had a foot in both camps, to throw a party for Boss McCoy and his supporters in the panic room.  That wasn't hard to do; I'd seeded it with lots of artwork to take the edge off.
2. He organized another, much smaller party for his family and friends.  He sited it in the gem stockpile above my sweatshop (don't judge).  None of the invitees really liked the location - there was nothing there - but their Envy and Tribalism were tweaked enough by the other, bigger party downstairs that they mostly went along.
3. Having successfully incapacitated the entire fortress with parties, he stole a pickaxe from the McCoys and assigned himself the mining labor.  No one spotted him; I only know about it because I was following him in omniscient mode, in close to real time.
4. He left the fort and climbed down the mountainside.
5. He dug his way into the Supercollider.

The Supercollider had been charging for eight months at that point; an ordinary Firehose left unfired for that long would have exploded already.  Boss Hatfield didn't even have to pierce all the way through the mountain wall; as soon as his tunnel was long enough to create a fracture point, the whole mountainside blew outward, killing Boss Hatfield instantly and turning the floor of the panic room into a mass of limestone shrapnel.  Then the overpressure wave spread through the rest of the fortress, breaking almost everything and killing almost everybody...except for the partiers in the gem stockpile, who were as far away from the ignition point as it was possible to be.  I got the "blood flows in your tunnels!" popup, but it disappeared almost immediately, and while the histories do list it as a civil war, they report that it ended a few seconds before it began.

So what the hell happened there?  The "persuade people to party in dangerous locations" trick is old, of course, but how could the planning engine possibly have known that weakening one of those walls would turn that sealed cavern into a giant bomb?  Was he trying to trigger a cave-in, maybe?

I love this game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48