Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 108610 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2012, 01:16:05 pm »

My elves once created a splinter faction that made woodcutting acceptable. Unfortunately, they were in an evil biome surrounded by glumprong, and their wooden training axes were all feather-wood. The axes broke after a series of really unlucky impact vs. strength checks and we were left without any weapons or means of building to fend for ourselves on the surface in an evil biome...
My wooden badge was delicious.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2012, 01:43:51 pm »

You got your ass kicked by elven artillery because you built on the surface and not underground.

The surface.

Like a freaking elf.

Hey, did your elves ever get bunker busters? They can collapse TEN DAMN Z-LEVELS deep. Seriously, don't allow your elf neighbor to get anywhere near the atomic era.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2012, 04:06:20 pm »

In terms of fuel they often buy lignite from dwarves and in some cases i have seen them using Charcoal like stuff from ropereeds and Biogas. Sometimesyou even get solar-smelters.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2012, 11:07:51 pm »

You'd be surprised what sorts of wood substitutes elves make.
Once, they had had a revolution led by some great figurehead, who made ETHIC:BUTCHER_ANIMAL allowed, and they proceeded to use bone instead of wood. Because chopping wood was still unthinkable.
Elves grow wooden weapons, though. They just don't chop down trees.
Without charcoal, they're crippled.

In terms of fuel they often buy lignite from dwarves and in some cases i have seen them using Charcoal like stuff from ropereeds and Biogas. Sometimesyou even get solar-smelters.
Last I checked, solar smelters, electricity, and the like are pretty much never found in metalless societies.
And again, what mods are you using? Vanilla dwarves are too paranoid and xenophobic to export tons of fuel or a single anvil or smithing hammer to any nation they don't have a permanent alliance with, and vanilla elves don't break such alliances without risking civil war.
Seriously, whatever's going on in that mod is awesome. What mod is it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2012, 11:30:06 pm »

Huh? Oh i just have the trader mod for Humans. The one where you can use them as Middleman. They tend also to trade metals for various elven stuff like bows because they are superior in the Pre gun time if it comes to range.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »

You know, I once tried giving the elves some sort oof organic metal - nuthin' fancy, just to give them a bit of competitivity during mid-worldgen.
The boost in technology, coupled with their long lifespan, their high reproduction rates and the resulting high skill levels made them dominate the world by the year 200. By the year 250, they had developed an ideology of pan-elfdom, uniting in a single empire and growing ever more militaristic and war-like.
Finally in the year 273, a dwarf chopped down one tree to many.

They slaughtered everyone. Then they ate them.

I undid the changes, and am currently trying to find out how to effectively induce genocides.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2012, 03:58:55 pm »

You know, I once tried giving the elves some sort oof organic metal - nuthin' fancy, just to give them a bit of competitivity during mid-worldgen.
The boost in technology, coupled with their long lifespan, their high reproduction rates and the resulting high skill levels made them dominate the world by the year 200. By the year 250, they had developed an ideology of pan-elfdom, uniting in a single empire and growing ever more militaristic and war-like.
Finally in the year 273, a dwarf chopped down one tree to many.

They slaughtered everyone. Then they ate them.

I undid the changes, and am currently trying to find out how to effectively induce genocides.

Try [ETHIC:GENOCIDE:PREFERRED]
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2012, 04:50:18 pm »

Well, that would just make everyone go at everyone's throat, and the ethics rewrite is still a few updates away - I'm looking for a way to get humans and dwarves to cooperate or at least ignore each other while still going '42-style on the elves.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

xXEldestXx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2012, 12:54:29 pm »

I was playing around with the belief mechanics last night, and I think I might have a problem. According to the legends, the religion of Pearstones began in an obscure elven village. Some prophet, whose name isn't recorded, convinced everyone that a tree was god. The tree was promptly given a name, and the religion spread outward until the entire northern elven nation believed, and every settlement had at least one scion of Pearstones. Then, for some reason, the elves launched a bloody crusade to spread the will of Pearstones. Eventually, every human and elven settlement on the western continent had a sapling, the goblins were wiped out, and the dwarves had withdrawn to the mountainhome. Now about a hundred years later, every non dwarf sentient  believes in Pearstones, and I think that that the tree has reached apotheosis and formed a massive neural network with its scions. It's trying to get out. I'm typing this on older computer because Pearstones has realized it's in a game and taken over the other one. It's trying to decode my wifi password. What do I do?

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:00 pm »

I was playing around with the belief mechanics last night, and I think I might have a problem. According to the legends, the religion of Pearstones began in an obscure elven village. Some prophet, whose name isn't recorded, convinced everyone that a tree was god. The tree was promptly given a name, and the religion spread outward until the entire northern elven nation believed, and every settlement had at least one scion of Pearstones. Then, for some reason, the elves launched a bloody crusade to spread the will of Pearstones. Eventually, every human and elven settlement on the western continent had a sapling, the goblins were wiped out, and the dwarves had withdrawn to the mountainhome. Now about a hundred years later, every non dwarf sentient  believes in Pearstones, and I think that that the tree has reached apotheosis and formed a massive neural network with its scions. It's trying to get out. I'm typing this on older computer because Pearstones has realized it's in a game and taken over the other one. It's trying to decode my wifi password. What do I do?
Infiltrator. Molotov. Should say enough.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

xXEldestXx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »

Infiltrator. Molotov. Should say enough.

I would have done that, but anything that believes in Pearstones enough to consider it a threat automatically has its mental processes co-opted by the massive belief network and is turned into more processing power for the nascent diety. If the goblins hadn't been wiped out I could have used a demon to infiltrate, but that's not an option.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2012, 02:24:40 pm »

Nothing to worry about, nobody's used that old WiFi stuff since 2034.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2012, 03:13:15 pm »

I beg to differ.  Due to the proximity of my black-hole powered boiler, the EntangleNet quantum connection between my toaster and the iBreadbin goes out of sync too easily, and I just couldn't keep up with the excess bread deliveries that got ordered.  I had to snap on some legacy Wi-Fi dongles and a use 3rd-party frequency-shifter to get a reliable (and non-predictive) connection.

Here's a tip, though...  Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase.  If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess[1]), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

[1] I hope.  It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 09, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »

Okay, so I got bored and gave some Elephants cyborg implants. They got laser eyes, robotic limbs, and a hive mind. Big mistake. I'm down to one child who's walled off in its bedroom, but that won't last. Any tips?
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2012, 03:30:53 pm »

Okay, so I got bored and gave some Elephants cyborg implants. They got laser eyes, robotic limbs, and a hive mind. Big mistake. I'm down to one child who's walled off in its bedroom, but that won't last. Any tips?
I would say replace the child's body with metal and make a super-soldier, but you need at least two dwarves to do that since the kid wouldn't survive the pain of the surgery by itself. So instead cyborgize a bunch of kittens, let them adopt the kid, and then unleash the horde.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48