Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me start a war  (Read 5329 times)

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me start a war
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:31:29 pm »

The white P on the race screen means peace, right?

I have it on every single race. Kobolds and goblins too. Year 3, 120 settlers, 350k wealth and not a single ambush yet. All I get is a thief from time to time, but they always run away. Even the elephants run away from my troops. No one wants to fight. I'm bored. What do? Is there any way to fix the situation?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Help me start a war
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:19 pm »

Goblins and kobolds are always hostile, no matter what. The very fact that they are sending thieves is proof of this.

The reason you aren't getting actual attacks is because you still don't have enough wealth.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »

Do Goblins have [BABYSNATCHER]?

If so, Continue existing. They will come.

EDIT: CURSE THE NUNJA QUIETUST!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:01:33 pm »

My current fort went on for years without a peep.

It was quiet.  Too quiet.  All these preparations for what, some vultures?

Then BAM.  Four sieges in less than 2 years.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the elves are pissed i tried to give them wood (apparently)
(thats a strange sentence)
and the human diplomat ended up in a bodybag after running headlong into a goblin siege...

edit:
yep.  War with the humans now.  Weeee!  What's this?  Copper mauls and a helmet?  WAAAAAAAGH!!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:47:38 am by thiosk »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:57:50 am »

And the elves are pissed i tried to give them wood (apparently)
*snicker* :P
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 02:02:58 am »

Huh, I thought civilizations could make peace with goblins? If it's possible then it's really rare though. I know that I've seen a town where goblins lived peacefully together with humans, but that might be something else, I'm not sure. Can someone more experienced shed some light on this?
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:05:51 am »

Huh, I thought civilizations could make peace with goblins? If it's possible then it's really rare though. I know that I've seen a town where goblins lived peacefully together with humans, but that might be something else, I'm not sure. Can someone more experienced shed some light on this?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.

I just realized how awesome this sentense is. Toady, You are a God.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »

or the opposite. I have had Goblin Kings and generals in a dwarven civilisation before......... Also, that civilisation, literally half of my migrants termed out to be escapees from goblin slavery.

The most shocking would be an entirely elven dwarven civilisation. There were only 3 dwarves in the entire world, all slaves to babysnatchers. Two dwarven civilisations left, one with a mountain hall full of dogs and the other with only ELVES in charge.

And we were getting fubared by the elven civilisation who keep turning up to raid our mountain homes, but we weren't in a state of war....................

I sorta imagined my dwarven fort to be a........ slave settlement that eventually rose up in revolt. Preferably after the king migrated there:D

Too bad it died to FPS and a screwed up war. Note to self:D a skybridge still requires you to design your arrow towers efficiently

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:55 pm »

The P means that they are at peace with whatever civ the cursor is currently on. Not with you. At least that's what it was in 31.25. Didn't see a mention of change. If you were at peace, you'd get caravans, not thieves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 06:27:46 pm »

or the opposite. I have had Goblin Kings and generals in a dwarven civilisation before......... Also, that civilisation, literally half of my migrants termed out to be escapees from goblin slavery.
Technically, those are descendants of goblins or whomever conquered and assimilated by dwarves. Dwarves are pretty open-minded about choosing monarchs once the royal bloodline is dead.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 12:04:36 pm »

So when they come, they will come in big numbers. Not good. My fortress stands on a metamorphic surface layer, so the best weapon material I can possibly get by mining is copper. I hoped I could mow down a couple of ambusher squads with my marksmen and harvest the iron my steel industry needs from the goblins before tshtf. Time to create a more swarm oriented defence concept. And build a few dozen coffins in advance.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 12:57:07 pm »

So when they come, they will come in big numbers. Not good. My fortress stands on a metamorphic surface layer, so the best weapon material I can possibly get by mining is copper. I hoped I could mow down a couple of ambusher squads with my marksmen and harvest the iron my steel industry needs from the goblins before tshtf. Time to create a more swarm oriented defence concept. And build a few dozen coffins in advance.
can't you just, I dunno, make traps? Enormous corkscrews, spiked balls, discs, weapon traps?

Even if you only have wood to make them, it should still work, especially if you leave a narrow long corridor open for the invaders (the corridor, obviously, littered with traps on every tile). If survivors get near the door, lock it, open another door to your fort somewhere else, and watch them march back on the death walkway. Alternatively, same setup, only a single retractable bridge over a pit or a raised bridge in the direction they're coming from, pull the lever when sufficient gobbos are on, and watch them (try to) fly.

Alternatively, start preparing cage traps?