Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slade mining/candy duplication, the easy way. *Spoilers*  (Read 6283 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slade mining/candy duplication, the easy way. *Spoilers*
« on: September 14, 2012, 01:25:47 am »

I'm sure many of you are aware that a method to mine slade by exploiting several glitches was discovered. It's a convoluted process explained on the wiki and in the original thread. The basic idea is to drop a magma flow tile into the eerie glowing pit, using it to dig under the pit into a newly generated layer and into the slade from below. The new layer is generated based on the floor above it, so you  may as well use raw adamantine.

What I've discovered isn't all that special. It's really just a (possibly world-dependent) simplification of the process summarized above, with maybe a new insight or two. The original discoverer may have missed it because it wasn't possible at his embark site, or maybe the world generation process has changed a bit in the past few months. I decided to create a new thread because original is old, long, and not entirely focused on the subject of slade mining. Plus, I've put together a rather detailed pictorial explanation. But enough introduction. Here's the simplified process:

1) Conditions, setup, and bonus candy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First off, this method is only possible if you have slade floor on the lowest revealed layer of the embark square. I've entered hell in two fortresses recently, and both met this condition, so chances are good yours will, too. If the eerie pit extends even one layer deeper than the floor, you must use the older, more difficult process.

Now, on to the picture. The blue area is floored with raw adamantine (you'll need to enable it on the z-stone menu). This optional floor area will produce an extra layer of adamantine, but it will not produce slade. You can still get slade out of the unfloored areas.  Don't bother flooring over the hills--you won't get anything out of them. On the right is an experimental demon-proofing apparatus. So far it's been successful, but that's a subject for another thread. The staircase was constructed on top of the eerie glowing pit, but anywhere on the bottom layer will do. The next step is to dig an up stair directly below the down stair. An up/down staircase will prematurely reveal the next layer down.

2) Digging the first staircase

This is what you'll see when you dig that staircase. If all you want is free candy, you can stop reading at the end of this section. The area underneath the floored area will be made of a material related to the floor you built. It gets a little weird if you don't use stone--you'll see a few examples in a moment. You can keep digging to the bottom of the map, and it'll all be the same stuff. Don't go any deeper yet if you want slade!

3) More floor, material science

You'll notice I've gone back up a level and expanded the floored area. The new floor is the area that will yield slade. The real purpose of step 2 was to generate a layer of slade to be mined. The candy was just a bonus.

You'll also notice I've included a few other materials in the floor this time, including metal bars, wood, soap, and glass. They produced some interesting results. The metal bars produced lumps of pure metal which can be melted or cut like gems. The glass produced rock. Just rock. That's literally the name of the material. It has a value of 3, like obsidian, and I assume it behaves like any normal stone. The wood (glumprong) and soap (rock nut) produced gems. More research needs to be done.

4)Generating candy

Here you can see I dug down one more layer. You can dig as deep as you like at this point. A lot more adamantine has been generated, as well as the lumps of metal and gems.

5) Under the slade

This is (still) two levels below the floor of Hell. I've prepared to dig upward into the slade. Because you can only mine unrevealed slade, you can't mine every tile. You can't really do better than this grid pattern, which nets you one piece of slade per four slade tiles.

6) Finish

This is the fully mined field of slade. The adamantine you see here was generated by the first floored area in step 1.

One last discovery of note: you can do this several times per map. Up to once per embark tile, if I'm correct. For example, if you have a 4x4 site, you can do this up to 16 times, once in each square of that 4x4 grid. Of course, not every one of those squares will have a good mining site, and you may reveal multiple embark tiles at once, so expect more like two or three chances.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Slade mining/candy duplication, the easy way. *Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:06 am »

Finally an engravable Raw Adamantine walled set of rooms for the King (or Queen) Under the Mountain! 8)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:58:29 am »

Cool... however I'd optimally like to have my candy gear ready before the big party.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:16:50 am »

That is brilliant! How didn't anyone think of this before :D

Finally a large area of natural candy that can be engraved!
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 03:31:21 pm »

Cool... however I'd optimally like to have my candy gear ready before the big party.
If you want infinite adamantine just mint it into coins and then melt them down again. Each time you do the process it will have a yield of 1.1 bars, meaning that you generate a bar from nothingness every 10 times you do the process (assuming it is always melted at the same smelter).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 04:18:29 pm »

Can we do the floor mine technique to get candy from any stone layer?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:24:43 am »

If you want infinite adamantine just mint it into coins and then melt them down again. Each time you do the process it will have a yield of 1.1 bars, meaning that you generate a bar from nothingness every 10 times you do the process (assuming it is always melted at the same smelter).
Bolts / Greaves if you don't have access to caravans

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 05:23:45 am »

Bolts / Greaves if you don't have access to caravans

You can't duplicate adamantine through leggings or axes. The number of adamantine wafers needed for an object is equal to the material size of the object, but the number of wafers you get back after melting is still the same. Leggings have a material size of 5, so you will need 5 wafers instead of one bar as with ordinary metals, but just like with ordinary bars you still get 1.5 wafers back. So instead of making a net profit of 0.5 bars, you make a net loss of 3.5 wafers.
Individual bolts, full coin stacks and split coin stacks still work, though. All of these have a material size of 1, so they give the exact same profit as ordinary metals.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 07:06:32 am »

Why does that only apply to adamantine?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 10:07:45 am »

Why does that only apply to adamantine?

Because all other metals come in bars, not wafers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 10:22:37 am »

Wafers are a kind of bar.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

untakenusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 01:12:08 pm »

Wafers are a kind of bar.
Wafers are thinner. My assumption for the RP explanation is that because of adamantine's strength and scarcity, it is dwarven practice to have standard units of refined adamantine be smaller than any other metal unit.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 01:51:32 pm »

Outta curiosity, can this duplication method be done on a similar setup, like near the surface, or would that be a no-go?  (Probably a no-go on the steel, given there's no naturally occuring steel.)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 03:01:55 pm »

Wait, wafer to unsplitted coin stack to wafer works too?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 03:04:31 pm »

Apparently. I guess adamantine coins are small or something...
Sig
Pages: [1] 2