Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: !!Science!! of launching dwarves against the map border.  (Read 11949 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!Science!! of launching dwarves against the map border.
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:25:02 am »

"If you launch a wooden minecart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark."

That quote inspired me to do some !!SCIENCE!! on what happens when a dwarf leaves your fortress alive. The fortress of Shiphopper was built for a simple purpose: build a cart track on the edge of the map, and launch the dwarves past the border. The site was selected to contain a river and a shore, for two extra types of borders in case more experimentation would be needed.

For testing platform, a 10z ramp was built as close to the map edge as possible.

First test with an empty cart was a disappointment. The cart gains good speed along the track, but stops immediately on the map edge.

Second test with a ramp one tile away from the edge, same result. The fact that the cart appears on the ground immediately points to a ramp construction error.

For the third test, the old ramp was demolished with one acceptable casualty, and a new one built further away to allow a wall piece behind the launch ramp. The acceleration ramp, now 16 z-levels, was enough to launch the minecart against the map edge at 4 z-level height, at which the cart stopped and dropped straight down to the ground.

Fourth test was a manned cart, launched against the map edge. At the impact, the cart fatally crushed its passenger, who flew an additional 1 z-level before losing grasp of his axe and falling down with the cart. In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe. When hitting the ground level, he got propelled away by the force of the blow, instantly teleporting two squares west and unexpectedly turning into a a peasant and displaying his color in white. After two more steps he teleported two squares back east, skidding along the ground and slamming into an obstacle. He teleported two squares west again, this time maintaining his description as a woodcutter and coming to rest.

The test was repeated with a peasant, who in the air was shown in bright cyan. In the air, he proceeded to get pummeled by the minecart, and oddly enough, himself. Upon reaching round, he too got pummeled by the cart, yet died without other anomalies.

The fifth test was over before I realized the expedition leader had gotten the cart to the top of the ramp. It was too late to take notes, other than typical bruising and death.

The sixth test was another one with a peasant, this time promoted to bookkeepper to further study the effects of falling on the dwarven profession colors. Upon hitting the border, he produced a spattering of blood while still airborne. Upon landing, he got mangled by the cart three times before coming to rest and dying.

With two dwarves remaining, the seventh test was supposed to be about a cart bumping into a dwarf standing on the tracks. However, during the redesigns of the launch ramp, the second to last dwarf got hit by a falling rail segment and died of suffocation. The last dwarf then went insane, marking the end of Shiphopper in the early summer of 251. Strangely, the legends show the last member of the test team being slain with a copper battle axe. As the message of settlements crumbling ended the game, there was no way to see what exactly happened to him.

edit: forgot the quote

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!Science!! of launching dwarves against the map border.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:36:16 am »

Some excellent !!SCIENCE!! at work here.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:49:06 am »

Good god man.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:52:02 am by Canadark »
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:50:19 am »

Now we must see if all entities die when colliding with the map edge!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:03 am »

Dwarven quantum mechanics: It's not is Schrodinger's cat dead or alive, it's "Do falling dwarves have a profession." o_O
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 10:12:14 am »

"faggot tree minecart"? What?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:06 am »

very interesting. For further testing, I recommend the following edges be tested: The "ceiling" of the map; Cavern edges; and edges of the circus.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:40:32 am »

very interesting. For further testing, I recommend the following edges be tested: The "ceiling" of the map; Cavern edges; and edges of the circus.
O.o somebody quick mod in a ringmaster!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:49:15 pm »

I told them. I told them all. You can never leave.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »

Yay! Lets see if we can tirn the edge of the map into a death-trap in its own right.

Also, Weaponize.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 04:19:34 pm »

What if you do it while migrants arrive? Or merchants? Or Titans?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »

Random directions...
PKs DF Mod!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 04:25:26 pm »

Maybe the membrane that separates the fortress from the rest of the world is flammable...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 06:01:09 pm »

What happens when you launch something that is not a member of your fortress?
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 09:00:09 pm »

I told them. I told them all. You can never leave.

Welcome to the Fortress California.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool
Pages: [1] 2 3