Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Searching for a large tileset perfectly resembling the original curses_640x300  (Read 2688 times)

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not shure where to post this. Anyway here is my little story: In my time playing Dwarf Fortress I have used many different tilesets but never was totally satisfied. Actually these days I always want to use the old fashioned, rough looking original curses_640x300. The problem is, of course I have to zoom in so much ingame that the tiles become so blurry that my eyes can't take it for long. I've gone through the tileset repository and tried out many versions but they either lag the genuineness of the original, or they are square, which I started to dislike.

I tried to make a scaled up version on my own but soon realised that this is not that easy. My knowledge of graphics or editing pictures is too slightly and I ended up having stripes where they shouldn't be or the tiles weren't sharp enough. I guess my only chance is to draw every pixel of it on my own. But before I start a project like this I'd rather ask If anybody had the same idea before and found a way. Maybe there is even a simple way that I didn't know about.

Too make it short: I'd like to see a large version (around 175%-200%) of the original curses_640x300. Sharp and not to distinguish from the original. I really would appreciate it.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile

There you go.
Spoiler: double resolution (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: quadruple resolution (click to show/hide)

I ended up resizing it in Gimp without interpolation (after trying three different and more complicated ways that messed up the color depth...).
I can't upload .bmp files on decent image sharing sites, but if you really need the bitmaps, maybe I'll upload them on DFFD.

Have fun!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There you go.
Spoiler: double resolution (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: quadruple resolution (click to show/hide)

I ended up resizing it in Gimp without interpolation (after trying three different and more complicated ways that messed up the color depth...).
I can't upload .bmp files on decent image sharing sites, but if you really need the bitmaps, maybe I'll upload them on DFFD.

Have fun!

Thank you so much! The result is perfect.

Btw I managed to survive (for now).

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

Oh, you have that weird glitch going with the textures...

It's only happened to me twice: once with an old save that I got off DFFD and once with Kobold Camp.

It makes all the rocks and dirt have weird textures like capital-A-umlaut (I know the lazy shortcut to type it but these forums don't support it :( ) instead of the noise-y shading graphics and worse. I have no idea what causes it though - maybe it's just an old save thing?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

It's caused, I think, by the person not uninstalling a texture pack properly. Most texture packs take advantage of Text Mode by replacing accented letter tiles with graphical tiles and changing the raws to use the new tiles. Based on how many gaffes of this kind I've seen, I have to wonder if maybe the installation programs are being more obfuscative than is strictly necessary.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile

I hate the original one, the rectangular look to the game looks weird :P

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's also a Square 16x16 tileset that comes with vanilla.
It does have resizing artifacts, however, Haowan did a clean version in 18x18.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile

There's also a Square 16x16 tileset that comes with vanilla.
It does have resizing artifacts, however, Haowan did a clean version in 18x18.
I'm personally using Unknown_Curses12x12.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There you go.
Thanks for this, been looking for the same thing as well but it had slipped my mind.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels

Oh this is perfect. I too love the ASCII graphics, but having them re-sized cleanly and made square makes the game that much more enjoyable for me. I looked a little for them, thought about making my own, but I'm glad I found this! Thanks!
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's caused, I think, by the person not uninstalling a texture pack properly. Most texture packs take advantage of Text Mode by replacing accented letter tiles with graphical tiles and changing the raws to use the new tiles. Based on how many gaffes of this kind I've seen, I have to wonder if maybe the installation programs are being more obfuscative than is strictly necessary.

This! It was a mayday version that I used.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A week late to the party, but

I made it myself! You like?

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile

Personally I can't stand the rectangularness of it. I use Unknown_Curses_12x12, same ASCII art but square so it actually looks less weird.

Random Spark

• Bay Watcher
  • Tales of Karma and Strategy
    • View Profile
    • My Art (Deviant Art profile)

I've been using my own personal curse tiles. Large image ahead.

I don't think its complete yet so I've just been tweaking it and keeping an eye out for elements i don't like changing them slightly and continuing.

The tile set doesn't currently get in the way of the world gen tiles so it is still pretty pleasing to look at the global maps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am an artist. I draw, write, and compose.
I am also a smartalek. I am also trying to design a game.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I can't stand the rectangularness of it. I use Unknown_Curses_12x12, same ASCII art but square so it actually looks less weird.
Well, it was made to be a doubled version of the original rectangular set... :'(
Pages: [1] 2