Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark and world questions  (Read 464 times)

Nashnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Embark and world questions
« on: September 16, 2012, 01:34:20 am »

I have a few questions and since I don't seem to be able to pin them to a certain category I am posting them here.
Edit: btw I am pretty much new to this game.

1.I finally got a nice location in a world and embarked.
Only after that did I realize I didn't carry an axe so now I got a huge problem.
I was wondering if there is a method to add an axe.

2. If I save the embark group load out and select the save do I get the same characters ?

3. Is there a way to edit/delete the saved embark group

4. Is there a way to quit the game without saving your abandoned fortress and restart such that one can embark freshly in the world created earlier. rather than having multiple abandoned fortresses ?

5. Related to the above in a way. Is it possible after creating the world to just cycle through the years and embark at the selected year?

I actually want a feature where one can gen a world and any embark would create a copy of the world rather than modifying the generated world. This would help if one wishes to play in the same world without any changes but in different locations. Later one could have the option of creating a new copy or embarking in the same world where one's fortress earlier existed.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
Re: Embark and world questions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:37:20 am »

1. Well, make one! You probably don't have any metals, though. You can make wooden training axes, which can be used for cutting trees (cutting wood with wood makes perfect sense!). Problem is, if you have no axe you have no wood either. You can deconstruct your wagon though, it's made of three units of wood.

2. Do you mean saving the fortress after you embark, or saving the skills/items/jobs before embarking (i.e. before you actually start playing)? If it's the former then yes, if it's the latter then I'm not 100% sure, but I think you don't (don't count on it though!).

3. Again, before or after the embark? Before embarking you can choose a few skills, in the game you can choose what labors each dwarf is allowed to do, then when they do that labor, their respective skills will slowly increase. Skills can also decrease if they're unused.

4. No.

5. No, the first fortress starts right after world gen, which lasts a set number of years (which you can change before creating the world). Your second fortress starts after the first one ends (after a few months, I think).

As to your request, you can do it manually. Your save files are in [your DF folder]\data\save\. Copy-paste your world folder (any name works, not only region1, region2, etc.).
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 06:25:13 am »

Fortress II starts at the beginning of the next year.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:00:24 pm »

4. If you make a copy of the region folder with you newly generated world you can use that blank copy to start a new fort in the same world at the same start date.
Alternatively you can export the seed information from legends mode and re-gen the same world as often as you want.
5. If you have the seed you can also re-gen the world and set the number of years to be generated in advanced world-gen. That way you get the same world but with shorter or longer history.

Nashnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:12:31 am »

Thanks a lot for all your help.
This is game is turning out to be one of the best games I have ever played