Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [bug] Floodgate placement/removal  (Read 627 times)

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[bug] Floodgate placement/removal
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »

I was setting up my farm at the cave river, and after digging the channel proceeded to queue a floodgate for construction in the following way-- (= river, c channel, C cave, X floodgate)
code:

CCCCCCCCCC===
C_______CC===
C________Xcc=
C_______CC===
C_______CC===

A dwarf picked up the floodgate, went to the correct place, and built it. But then it was never built-- if I selected it, it said that construction was still pending, and my floodgate had disappeared entirely from my cave. Fearing something buggy had happened, I deleted the "in-construction" floodgate, and out of nowhere a placed floodgate appeared one tile to the left.

code:

CCCCCCCCCC===
C_______CC===
C_______X_cc=
C_______CC===
C_______CC===

So now there is a floodgate that I cannot select or interact with in any way blocking me from completing my farm because my channel is cut off by extension from it. I've heard of similar problems with bugged floodgates and doors. Any way to fix this without reverting to a previous save?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: [bug] Floodgate placement/removal
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »

If a miner drags the floodgate into place and then stops the job before he's done setting it up, he can still go back later and finish it safely. I take advantage of this myself sometimes--if a miner is about to do something stupid (like sealing in someone else, or himself!) I suspend progress on the not-quite-finished floodgate and wait until later.

No clue how to fix it once you cancel the project, unfortunately.

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>If a miner drags the floodgate into place and then stops the job before he's done setting it up, he can still go back later and finish it safely. I take advantage of this myself sometimes--if a miner is about to do something stupid (like sealing in someone else, or himself!) I suspend progress on the not-quite-finished floodgate and wait until later.

No clue how to fix it once you cancel the project, unfortunately.</STRONG>

He wasn't en-route to the job, he had FINISHED the job, except the floodgate never "finished". The floodgate item just disappeared from my world and the construction site remained incomplete, and then the phantom floodgate (complete and unmovable, a building and not the item) appeared next to it once I cancelled.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 02:50:00 pm »

If the construction was incomplete, the job wasn't finished.  Most likely it happened as RPB describes it.  If the dwarf was interrupted somehow, the floodgate would remain at the build site, but you would just see the tile for a floodgate that hadn't yet been placed.  When you canceled the project, the floodgate dropped to the nearest available floor space, and I'm guessing you've got a new channel where the floodgate was being built.  The one you see is lying around just as if it were in a furniture stockpile.

EDIT:  I see that you've specified that the gate is the building, not the item.  I guess that would be a bug, then.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: FunkyWaltDogg ]

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »

To the OP:  Can you use [t] to look at the floodgate?  And if so, does it say it requires "Furniture Hauling" - if so, it is a floodgate that has been removed and is waiting for transport back to a furniture pile.

This is what happened when I removed a constructed floodgate.  It did leave a channel though.