Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Anyone ever killed and/or butchered Giant sperm whale?  (Read 10143 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Anyone ever killed and/or butchered Giant sperm whale?
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:13:27 pm »

See title.
That thing...

Slim chances, but theoretically, enormous reward.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever killed and/or butchered Giant sperm whale?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 03:18:55 pm »

you can do it in arena and sometimes , fishes like to sit in the sun .... on the ground .... no water .... death (... ponies) ?
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:47:00 pm »

(... ponies) ?

Ask about any further details and you best hope God/Armok blessed you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:12:27 pm »

Before you catch one of those things you better make sure to set up a minecart path from the butchers shop to the stockpile, else the food will probably rot before the dwarf finishes hauling it. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:25:15 pm »

all my throwing attacks pass clean thru it.
but you can just shoot it with a crossbow and iron bolts.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:45:14 pm »

a mega huge whale that should be at least 50x50 squares big , can evade thrown crap .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »

If multi tile creatures ever get implemented...

"The first thing my dwarves did to make the fort was find a beached giant sperm whale."

"And the second thing?"

"There was no second thing.  The corpse IS the fort."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 02:49:07 am »

Before you catch one of those things you better make sure to set up a minecart path from the butchers shop to the stockpile, else the food will probably rot before the dwarf finishes hauling it. :P

An easier method is to build a butcher shop in an 3x3 enclosed area with a door and then deconstruct it. After deconstruction, designate the entire room as a food stockpile since removing the building which cause the assorted whale parts to go everywhere.  That's why you want it to be a small area to minimize the spread; afterwards, you can always knock down the wall on either side to put in a kitchen on one side and a craftshop on the other so that they won't have to lug the fat or bones as far.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 06:40:14 am »

If multi tile creatures ever get implemented...

"The first thing my dwarves did to make the fort was find a beached giant sperm whale."

"And the second thing?"

"There was no second thing.  The corpse IS the fort."
While that sounds awesome, what do you do when your fort decays?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 03:34:44 pm »

With any luck, you'll have been replacing the moldy bits with Whale Tallow Soap before it's all gone!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 03:52:36 pm »

I believe a significant number of whales of various kinds were a part of the bycatch from Sphalerite's Sea Serpent farm thing.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 04:18:20 pm »

With any luck, you'll have been replacing the moldy bits with Whale Tallow Soap before it's all gone!
Wouldn't it be cooler to replace them with, say, steel or rock? And wouldn't miasma kill the fort's happiness?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 04:37:59 pm »

Wouldn't it be cooler to replace them with, say, steel or rock? And wouldn't miasma kill the fort's happiness?

Legendary whale soap trumps miasma.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 05:27:58 pm »

Legendary whale soap trumps miasma.
Let's see if I get the plan...
Wait for multi-hundred-ton whale to beach itself.
Strike the Whale!
Mine whale fat.
Turn fat into soap.
Use soap to replace rotting whale flesh.
...I don't think there's enough fat in a giant sperm whale to do that, you'd need to have your Starting Seven make soap 48 hours a day minimum to turn that fat into soap before the whale rotted assuming a sufficient lye supply...
Great idea, though.
Sig

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 05:29:05 pm »

Adventerer reanimation.  Take over world.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4