Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Zafehouse: Diaries  (Read 18905 times)

shaihulud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zafehouse: Diaries
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 12:01:30 pm »

to tell you the truth i did not have high hope about the game but after a couple of playthroughs, i can tell you this game is amazing. It has many  good stories/interesting events, i honestly feel attracted to the random characters which is odd!(rather i hate them or like them).

In some way this game reminds of a solitaire playable broad game Arkham horror quite a bit, which is awsome!   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:09:31 pm by shaihulud »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 12:59:27 pm »

Not all cleaners and librarians are created equal it seems...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 05:38:36 pm »

Played a few more games today, and no crashes happened!

I'm slightly getting better at the game. I don't want to write another chronicle, but this last time I was SOOOOOOOOOOO close... I was at the right place and saw the chopper go past... I got my guys to try to create a distraction, but unfortunately that wasn't enough to attract the pilot. It was enough to attract zombies, so I guess you know how it all ended.

Seriously though...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Having a blast though :) It COULD use some more events. In particular, the mob and big zombie show up every time. There should be some alternative events.

A question: what's the deal with resting? I can't explicitly get my people to rest, but sometimes they'll just do it for a few hours. Any way to gain some control over that? Also, should I leave them idle every now and then so they can do things? I tend to keep them busy, but I imagine 3 days without sleep isn't easy.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 06:09:13 pm »

The hotel is the only place you can order your people to rest.

Spoiler: end-game tip (click to show/hide)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 07:14:30 pm »

Bought the game, and I like the style. My only real complaint is that moving items between locations is a tedious affair due to fairly limited carrying capacity. Would be nice if there were containers that the survivors could use (plastic bags, backpacks, duffel bags, pillow cases and such). It may be an intentional and irrevocable design decision, but having to continuously assign your people back and forth, over and over to move supplies gets very tiresome and boring, very quickly.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 03:26:01 am »

Bought the game, and I like the style. My only real complaint is that moving items between locations is a tedious affair due to fairly limited carrying capacity...

On the contrary that's actually the main gameplay challenge in the game.  Rather being your average hoarding simulator, Zafehouse: Diaries actually forces you to make choices in terms of equipment and supplies.  You'll quickly find everything you could possibly need in the game (the unique guns really aren't worth it.)    Except EVERYTHING has weight, so you simply can't be a walking department store.

Depending on morale, a survivor can only carry 4-8 kg, and you start with five survivors.  Keeping that in mind, the game is really about figuring out how to use that weight to its fullest.  The key thing is to learn what tools make nice weapons, and/or are redundant with others.  Here's my recommended loadout for a full party:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The sad part, and the reason I spoilered it, is that once you've got the loadout puzzle figured out, there's no more challenge to the game :(

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 04:33:47 am »

How do you fortify buildings? I can secure them all, but no more :\

Also, I realized there's another page you can go to if you click the left-most side of the screen (you'll get a red glow).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:21:08 am by Anvilfolk »

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:30 am »

Marvelous group of people, it's like fucking Christmas in our family all over again.  ::)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:12:09 am by kulik »

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 12:05:04 pm »

Anyone uploaded a diary yet? I'm playing around with the editor, looking forward to putting a couple of my more interesting games on the site.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 03:04:48 pm »

I get a lot of crashes in this game. Like, a lot. You may want to look into that before it hits Steam (I imagine it will if it hasn't already been greenlighted; it's a fun game and zombie games are always popular).

But to credit, a number of the crashes are recoverable crashes, and you can continue playing if you just hit Ignore/Continue/Whatever. It's just irritating to have the error message pop up often afterward.

-Edit

Also, I highly appreciate the in-game frame chooser on making custom survivors. It'd be a severe pain to have to edit (in another program!) every picture I want to make a custom survivor out of to fit a predetermined size.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:35:05 pm by Vel »

david_sf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 04:37:37 pm »

Hi Vel - thanks for the feedback, though sorry to hear about the crashes. Can I confirm you're on the full version (1.1.3)? If so, feel free to PM me or report them on our forums and we'll take a look.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 05:47:25 am »

Make sure you updated. I haven't got a single crash since updating to the latest version :)

I do have a question though. Sometimes I do seem to get a LOT of noise from my building despite having my guys on mostly silent activities. Does not take a while to die down? Such as if you break into a new house, then make everyone watch for zombies, will the noise only die down after a while? Does 4 people searching make a lot of noise? If they dislike each other, will they yell at each other and attract zombies?

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:00 am »

I am indeed playing 1.1.1.3 according to the title screen. Odd, though; I had the same error as Anvilfolk got before patching. Maybe there was an error when I patched.

Another comment I have is that it seems like characters go through food too quickly and starve much too quickly; people can last quite a long time without food. Obviously for game balance/resource scarcity reasons the consumption and deterioration has to be accelerated -- but it seems a little silly to see characters starving to death only a half a day or so after running out of food.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 10:14:08 am »

I am indeed playing 1.1.1.3 according to the title screen. Odd, though; I had the same error as Anvilfolk got before patching. Maybe there was an error when I patched.

Another comment I have is that it seems like characters go through food too quickly and starve much too quickly; people can last quite a long time without food. Obviously for game balance/resource scarcity reasons the consumption and deterioration has to be accelerated -- but it seems a little silly to see characters starving to death only a half a day or so after running out of food.
Well, there isn't any water management, so snacks and meals could be figured as part of that... otherwise, yea, food/starving is pretty unrealistic/overdone if it just only represents that.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 02:34:09 pm »

Yea, but even in terms of water though, they die illogically fast. A human can go up to a week without water (although it'd be horrifically unpleasant near the end), so they should at least be able to last a day or two even if you speed up the needs excessively.

-Edit: perhaps some sort of steadily mounting debuff to the effectiveness of a character should be applied, instead of simply falling over dead because they didn't have any oreos in the last 4 hours.

Edit 2: and/or, there could be disruptions in the relationships based on character hunger, since people unaccustomed to stretches of no food tend to get pretty irritable and irrational.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:39:07 pm by Vel »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4