Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Zafehouse: Diaries  (Read 18900 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zafehouse: Diaries
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 03:38:31 pm »

I would pick this up as I love zombie games, but for just under £10 it's a bit expensive for what it is. For example, for £2 you can buy The War Z and the standalone Day Z is supposed to be around the £15 mark.

This is, however, similar to web-based games such as Rebuild and is, as such, a little expensive.

I would have expected a game like this to be closer to £5-6.

I might pick it up in a sale if it's ever included in one...

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 03:57:20 pm »

Played for a good bit, and uh, I don't know.
I'm not sure if I think it was a waste of money to buy this game or not, but this wasn't exactly what I expected.
I mean, I don't know how to put this, but I feel like this game is way overpriced for its own good,
and I feel like this game should have been released as a board game or something..

Not saying that I hate or dislike this game, but I am not really glad about spending 20 bucks on this one.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 04:30:22 pm »

One thing this game does really good, is that an average play through could be a good script to a pretty good zombie B-movie. And if you are an average DF player (thus you have a prolific imagination) these simple sentences depicting the action will be all you need to see this movie in your head.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2012, 04:35:51 pm »

I'll have to agree with the price point. I bought this at $10, which feels about right for me. But then, I tend to support indie devs like the guys that made this seem to be. I love people that experiment with non-standard gameplay.

I think this might actually be funnier for the devs to play, to know everything that's behind the sparse messages we read. I think there's a lot more than what shows in this game, especially after reading that description that they wrote. That's too bad, but perhaps they'll be able to make this a little more obvious to the player.

The game is very much a party-based strategic roguelike or something like that :)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 10:11:10 pm »

Yea, but even in terms of water though, they die illogically fast. A human can go up to a week without water (although it'd be horrifically unpleasant near the end), so they should at least be able to last a day or two even if you speed up the needs excessively.

-Edit: perhaps some sort of steadily mounting debuff to the effectiveness of a character should be applied, instead of simply falling over dead because they didn't have any oreos in the last 4 hours.

Edit 2: and/or, there could be disruptions in the relationships based on character hunger, since people unaccustomed to stretches of no food tend to get pretty irritable and irrational.

A related simulationist aspect would be looking at how large a character is, how active they are, and then figuring out food needs from that, with not having enough food providing reductions in what they can accomplish or something. If you spend your day literally on the run from zombies, I suspect surviving that week without water isn't going to happen.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 06:04:22 am »

Yea, but even in terms of water though, they die illogically fast. A human can go up to a week without water (although it'd be horrifically unpleasant near the end), so they should at least be able to last a day or two even if you speed up the needs excessively.

-Edit: perhaps some sort of steadily mounting debuff to the effectiveness of a character should be applied, instead of simply falling over dead because they didn't have any oreos in the last 4 hours.

Edit 2: and/or, there could be disruptions in the relationships based on character hunger, since people unaccustomed to stretches of no food tend to get pretty irritable and irrational.

A related simulationist aspect would be looking at how large a character is, how active they are, and then figuring out food needs from that, with not having enough food providing reductions in what they can accomplish or something. If you spend your day literally on the run from zombies, I suspect surviving that week without water isn't going to happen.

Well, yes, obviously a ton of activity greatly reduces one's ability to survive without water -- but even then, we aren't simulating them having no water at all. If we were to assume meals/snacks include water, then they are actually taking in a fair amount of it anyway, hardly enough where they'd drop dead upon running out. That's a week with /no/ water at all, not a week with intermittent small amounts of water.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2013, 12:48:43 am »

Sorry for the necro, but I saw the game is $5 on GoG, worth it?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2013, 12:54:17 am »

5 bucks? yes, theres alot of micromanaging with the emotions and running around without a weapon is suicide, i like it wish i got it at that price though :P

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 02:21:54 am »

Yeah, I got it from an awesome forum member here and it's a bunch of fun, at least $5 worth. It gets a bit repetitive after a while but it's still quite a bit of fun, and the randomization and diary-type log of all games is really neat.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2013, 09:21:41 am »

Yeah, just approach it like a story and less a game - that gives rise to some of the most amazing LPs I've seen. There's at least one awesome one in the LP thread!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2013, 11:37:05 am »

I picked this one up from GoG on sale recently as well, and while it is fun, it is also really damn hard.  >_<

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2013, 12:28:25 pm »

Alert: http://groupees.com/undead

I got this game for $1.50 yesterday (GOG and Desura codes).  (Also got necrovision since you need to pick two but it was still $1.50 for the two.)

It seems to be worth about as much as I paid, but i feel bad for anyone that shelled out more than $5 for this.  If someone wants a similar genre game (minus being about zombies), King of Dragon Pass is a vastly superior management game.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]