Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: My coming out of the closet issues.  (Read 29107 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: My coming out of the closet issues.
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »

once you find them, paste their walls (and them) with the posters.
No, pushing it in their face is on the same level as tearing it down.  But definitely do confront them.  Just don't make them hate you, make them see you for what you are, a reasonable human being. MAKE SURE THEY CHOKE ON LGBT POSTERS!
FTFY.

I wasn't actually being serious, y'know?
Well, I didn't think you meant it literally.  I meant "Be gay, just don't be rude."

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2012, 08:52:44 pm »

He is the secretary. I doubt there will be much chance of running out of printers.
Well, if all else fails, I can sell him a giraffe-powered one.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2012, 08:46:53 am »

I'm thinking that a lot of people just can't picture gay men as being perfectly normal. I mean it's not like a straight guy hits on every lady he sees. I think this is the major point that people are missing in cases like this.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2012, 09:05:42 am »

I'm thinking that a lot of people just can't picture gay men as being perfectly normal. I mean it's not like a straight guy hits on every lady he sees. I think this is the major point that people are missing in cases like this.
This has always bothered me. Sexual preference really shouldnt have anything to do with personality type
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »

This has always bothered me. Sexual preference really shouldnt have anything to do with personality type
unless the whole "Our personalities are coded into our Genetics" thing is correct, as apparently Homosexuality is genetic, despite that not making any sense towards how said gene gets passed down.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2012, 10:31:01 pm »

To some degree I'd say personality is coded into genetics, but it's vastly, vastly more due to environmental influences. I'm not a total tabula rasa guy, but I'd be hard pressed to agree that the "stereotypical gay" behavior is genetic. It's just a cultural thing.

I dunno how "normal" I am. I think I'm a normal human being. Less normal in the behavioral sense, but not in your stereotypical gay way. I'm more a wacky nerd who never grew up.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2012, 10:39:46 pm »

Wacky nerd who never grew up is the best kind of personality =P
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2012, 10:42:52 pm »

For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2012, 11:38:56 pm »

I don't know about it being genetic, but there are documented homosexual animals.  Like, male monkeys that only bang other male monkeys, and show no interest in mating with females.  Which makes absolutely no sense, when you think about what we know about evolution (species only survive because they reproduce).  So it doesn't seem to be genetic, mainly because that genetic trait could not possibly be passed on.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2012, 11:53:21 pm »

That isn't how genetics work. The first thing you've ignored is recessive genes. If a trait was always expressed in the phenotype we wouldn't have any fatal or extremely crippling genetic disorders that take hold before reproductive age, and the ones that take hold after reaching reproductive age would be much less common. But we do, because you can have and pass on a gene without expressing it or ever knowing you held it at all.

The second thing is that evolution is not rational. Evolution happens blindly and can go in utterly absurd directions. For example, sickle cell disease is most common among Africans. The reason for this is that while sickle cell can be crippling, it confers immunity to malaria, which is more crippling. If we were dealing with rational evolution the correct thing to do would just to evolve a cellular incompatibility to malaria that does not also involve decreasing the amount of oxygen it can carry. Something like that actually did happen in Europe in response to the Bubonic Plague, with 15% of modern Europeans carrying and 2% expressing a gene that confers natural immunity to Bubonic Plauge (and, as it so happens, HIV) and has no drawback.

Thirdly, an evolutionary adaptation only has to allow the species to reproduce and survive, not necessarily individuals. "Dead-end" traits can persist through carriers, and will if they confer some kind of benefit to the species. The "Gay Uncle" hypothesis suggests that homosexuality evolved as a kind of reinforcement upon our social structure to give more caretakers to children without risking an increase in the number of children. I don't really buy into that myself, but it is idea of how something like that can work.

Fourthly, human sexuality is extremely complex and by definition is poly-genetic, so there is definitely no "gay gene", but probably a set of genes that increase the likelihood of being attracted to your own sex or the other. Social impacts and pressures do the rest, so at the end of the day where you end up on the Kinsley Scale can't be attributed to genetics or society alone, but instead a myriad of factors.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:56:55 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2012, 01:41:40 am »

Perhaps you could subtly coat the next poster with some kind of slow-drying paint/ink, so that when whoever-it-is tears it down, the evidence will be all over them.

...Bonus points for using red paint/ink and making a quip about 'catching them red handed'. ;)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2012, 01:57:52 am »

Wacky nerd who never grew up is the best kind of personality =P

Yes.

Slight tangent based on previous comments: I'm pretty sure current research does support homosexuality being either genetic or otherwise influenced before birth.  I'd go into specifics, but I'd probably just make a fool of myself trying to speak about a field I'm hardly an expert in.  :P  Similarly, I believe the behavior of homosexuals is largely a cultural thing, according to reading I've done.  Nope, I don't have links to said studies or any other evidence.

Also, I approve of Yoink's plan: if nothing else maybe put some chalk on it.  That won't be obvious on the paper, and should hang around on their fingers for a while afterward.

Anyway, I don't have much else to say other than good luck with all of this.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2012, 02:03:06 am »

Perhaps you could subtly coat the next poster with some kind of slow-drying paint/ink, so that when whoever-it-is tears it down, the evidence will be all over them.

...Bonus points for using red paint/ink and making a quip about 'catching them red handed'. ;)
:P

Re: Cause of gayness.

I've heard there's also a potential for it being caused by certain hormones during pregnancy. Supposedly sons after the first are more likely to be gay, and I do have an older brother.

Of course, where bisexuality fits into all this is a mystery. I have a very different type of physical attraction between men and women (though in the end they both just result in boners :) ). I find the kinsey scale inadequate for explaining how I feel, since sexuality just plain isn't a sliding scale. It's difficult to explain.

Practically speaking I dunno what causes same sex attraction and I don't really care. That knowledge is a novelty at best. If it's choice, if it's genetic, if it's whatever, doesn't change whether it's good or bad.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2012, 02:16:25 am »

Hopefully it won't turn into personal drama when it turns out it's Kai's dad who takes the posters off when Kai isn't at work... :-\
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2012, 02:18:43 am »

Perhaps mention that you put incriminating stuff on the poster and then see who goes to wash their hands?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12