Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

X3: Terran Conflict - Succession game, mayhaps?

(1/4) > >>

Girlinhat:
First, for anyone not aware of the game, check this spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)All I can say is "google or Steam it" first all.  X3, or rather the whole X franchise, is based on the concept of free build and free roam, while also providing an optional plot.  Anyone familiar with Freelancer will definitely enjoy this.  Like Freelancers, you pilot your own ship, where you can explore the galaxy/universe, fight pirates, become a pirate, take missions, trade wares across different systems, and other fun space things.  Unlike Freelancers, you may also own multiple ships.  When you have more than one ship, the others are controlled by AI, or just remain docked somewhere.  You can organize this endlessly, since you can pilot things as big as a carrier and mount up to 65 fighters on one carrier, which can be organized into multiple wings and given bulk commands to support their combat deployment.  Also unlike Freelancer, you can build stations.  All stations require energy cells, and most require the food of their species.  For example, to produce a "lasertower" semi-permanent deployed turret, you need ore, energy cells, and the food of the race type - Meatsteak Cahoonas for Argon, mainly.  It becomes much easier when you link them together, so you can make one complex that produces beef, turns beef to meatsteaks, has an attached asteroid mine, and a lasertower factory.  Then you just need to import energy!  Or find a silicon mine, crystal fabricator, and solar plant to make your own energy.

This expands over dozens (hundreds?) of sectors, allowing you as much play space as your CPU can handle.  It's not uncommon for late game players to send whole fleets of battleships and fully stocked carriers to wage war against a particular enemy race.So I had the idea, just tossing it out there.  Play X3:TC, but do it Succession Fort style.  One player picks it up, does some things, then passes it to the next player, cycling as needed in case there's not enough takers.

This would be rather different than a DF fort.  Namely the diplomacy is more complicated.  One player could make friends with pirates, but they always show as foe so the next player could ruin it.  Another player could pick a fight with the Paranid, and the next player discovers this first-hand.  Station construction would become equally hilarious in the face of widescale construction and misdirection.

X3:TC does have its own time system, but it can be difficult to keep track.  Play time would likely be measured in real-life days, or a custom script could be added to set a timer ping or somesuch.  So the questions are three-fold...
1: Is anyone interested?
2: Real-time or game-time?
3: What, if any, mods or scripts?

Burnt Pies:
I'm definitely interested! I'd say real time would be much easier to do; I frequently lose all track of in-game time, it's not something I check often. Timer ping will only help if it comes up while I'm playing; If I've left the game on autopilot while grabbing a drink (As I am wont to do), it won't be very useful.

As for Mods, I'd suggest Complex Cleaner, CODEA, maybe XRM, Marine Repairs, Energy Cell Generator, Bonus Pack stuff and perhaps Phanon Corp.

Time for me to make a clean reinstall of X3, I think. Far too many mods on it right now.

Girlinhat:
Ideally the timer would send a message that would blink in the corner of your screen.

I think the ideal mods would be the ones that make piracy easier, because let's face it, that's how it'll end up.

Lorgath:
I'd be up for this! I've never installed a mod for any of the X games, as I've never felt the need to add anything to it. Only ever had a small station complex before something else distracted me...

I would also suggest a real time allotment to each player.

Girlinhat:
Some of the mods are almost essential.  "Complex Cleaner" allows you to compress multiple stations into single larger ones, which does drastic things to improve framerate.  Carrier commands, boarding hotkeys, and MARS (turret overhaul) makes things make so much more sense.  Then there's others like "marines repair ships" (doesn't work quickly enough to matter during combat) and "train marines without mucking with stations" to make things easier and to make it easier to not rely on the different races.  Another lets you convert passengers to marines using space fuel to "subdue them".  Worked together, you can effectively become a real pirate and not be forced to remain friendly with one race to use their shipyards or training.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version