Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Generation Questions  (Read 1168 times)

Marya Clare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Generation Questions
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »

I am really curious about what certain world attributes can really make a difference in terms of making the world more interesting.
I want to get a world that is not in the myth no great powers age (monster/creature pop low/non existent), have notable events as well as figures, be somewhere in the 250 year range. But it seems that if you hike up certain options i.e. 1000+ years, huge world etc. the game will crash before the world can be generated.

Any advice?

Edit: Forgot that age of myths is the starting age, I also checked the wiki and realised I wanted to say I didn't want a world where there were no great powers around anymore.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:27:23 pm by Marya Clare »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Generation Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:43:04 pm »

Something happened to beasts a couple of updates ago which makes worldgen almost never leave the age of myth. Currently playing a huge map with a 1050 year history just using the basic world generator max everything (as far as I recall). Nothing's crashed so far.

Tons of beasts, loads of wars, spending more time logging atrocities that require vengeance in my spreadsheet than actually playing...

About the only 'uninteresting' thing is that Dwarves never seem to attack anyone. Just defend countless times until defeated and occasionally reclaiming a previously lost site that the new owners got bored of (generally leading to more war and atrocities...)

Marya Clare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:55:59 am »

I tried 1050 years but it kept crashing the game...maybe I hiked the options too high. I should try doing it with the stuff on slightly low but enough so that I don't get "age of emptiness", I wish there was some way (not through cheats) that monster/race pop can be 'boosted' by having some dimension open and spit out some beings from another universe, a summoner class that could channel the gods to turn crude constructs in the shape of the desired being into living beings, that or have a particularly powerful necromancer bring a few notable historical figures back but not as undead.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »

In my experience, crashes when generating large, long-history worlds, are usually related to overflowing RAM (assuming smaller/younger worlds consistently generate fine). If you're using 64-bit windows (and have at least 4GB of RAM, preferably 8+), you can enable the large-address-aware flag (google can find utilities to do this) on DF to let it use a full 4GB, at least. Doing this on a system with excessive RAM, I've been able to generate maximum size worlds with raised population/site caps and histories well over 1000 years. Trying to do this always crashed before ending without the large-address-aware flag set.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:04:40 am »

Ah, now that you mention it, I probably did enable large address aware before creating my current large, long history world.