Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sleeper getting caught snooping bug  (Read 1611 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Sleeper getting caught snooping bug
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:18:32 am »

I had one of my sleepers, who was reportedly located "in the university district" get caught while snooping. "Liberal Mcliberal is now Homeless and Jobless."
This is what I get when I look at her squad:

It seems that sleepers getting caught snooping are dumped onto whatever site they used to be. At the very least, if that location is the district in general.
Is this a bug? It seems to be treating the university district as a safehouse. I can even fly a flag there and everything.

In addition, any and all dates she gets don't actually happen...I had her go to the shelter. Neither of the two dates she made in her period of residence in the university district showed up, but any and all dates after the relocation did work properly.

To sum it up:
When a sleeper is caught "snooping" (Espionage -> Uncover Secrets), they are sent to the location they were located at. If that is not so, then it applies only to sleepers located in the "University District". By "in the University District", I mean when you recruit/enslave one with love, you have the option to tell them to "Stay at the University District as a sleeper." Not any location in the university district, but the university district itself.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeper getting caught snooping bug
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:35:34 am »

Definitely a bug.

The image that comes into my head is of some homeless looking man deciding to plant a flag in the middle of an intersection, and then sleeping there every night. Haha.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »

Yes, it's a bug. Fixed now.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 02:49:08 pm »

Thank you sir.

I have to admit I'm a bit sad that it was fixed; any snoopers caught at intelligence HQ, for example, got to stay there. I used that exploit to hack, credit fraud, etc, like crazy without the negative of attracting heat to my safe houses  :D
I hope this bug is replaced with a feature or something where similar can be accomplished. Maybe "sneak into building" and then they can do their illegal activities in the very stronghold of the conservatives. The conservatives wouldn't even know what hit them.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:21:49 pm »

It might be cool if there were more options for the careers of sleepers, e.g. have liberals apply for jobs to infiltrate different occupations and become sleepers that way. recruit young lawyers, they eventually become judges themselves. Or, a sleeper police officer rising through the ranks.

Add a promotions ladder or graph, maybe grades of seniority for each current profession, like levels, another sleeper action "push for promotion" (which would speed up promotion prospects), and have a new option for liberals "try to get a job" in a district, which would move them into the sleepers list, while they attempt to infiltrate as an employee.

It would also be nice if their occupation was updated as their circumstances changed.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:31:29 pm by Reelya »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »

It might be cool if there were more options for the careers of sleepers, e.g. have liberals apply for jobs to infiltrate different occupations and become sleepers that way. recruit young lawyers, they eventually become judges themselves. Or, a sleeper police officer rising through the ranks.

Add a promotions ladder or graph, maybe grades of seniority for each current profession, like levels, another sleeper action "push for promotion" (which would speed up promotion prospects), and have a new option for liberals "try to get a job" in a district, which would move them into the sleepers list, while they attempt to infiltrate as an employee.

It would also be nice if their occupation was updated as their circumstances changed.

A sleeper becoming a CEO, or chief of police, or director of the CIA... Would be fun if you could do that, and get a reward for doing so.

I would love a liberal CIA.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »

Even more than that. Replace every rank of the CIA with your liberal sleepers. You'd pretty much dictate what the CIA does.
Have fun cracking down on whomever you want. Repercussions? Replace the ones who'd be executing these repercussions with your sleepers.
Heck, what does it matter what the conservative government dictates if those who'd enforce their conservative laws are liberal and doing liberal things? The government would be a mere babbling figurehead, with no power, to the leader of the Liberal Crime Squad.

That'd be cool.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »

I would imagine there'd be a risk of them becoming Conservative due to being present in such an environment. And working mindless hours at a 9-5 job should probably sap juice or something.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »

Even more than that. Replace every rank of the CIA with your liberal sleepers. You'd pretty much dictate what the CIA does.
Have fun cracking down on whomever you want. Repercussions? Replace the ones who'd be executing these repercussions with your sleepers.
Heck, what does it matter what the conservative government dictates if those who'd enforce their conservative laws are liberal and doing liberal things? The government would be a mere babbling figurehead, with no power, to the leader of the Liberal Crime Squad.

That'd be cool.

The liberal crime squad overthrew the government in 2011.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 04:42:26 pm »

I would imagine there'd be a risk of them becoming Conservative due to being present in such an environment. And working mindless hours at a 9-5 job should probably sap juice or something.

True...but with great risk comes great rewards!*
Furthermore, if they are higher ranked, they'd be changing the environments. Even with the possibility of converting conservatives or brainwashing them.

*Some fine print essentially saying we're not responsible for any cases where this is not so.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »

Well yeah, I mostly suggested that because there needs to be some risk :P

And working your way up the ranks requires you to think like a Conservative, so there's always the risk of it just taking over. And at high levels the CCS would likely take an interest in removing your sleeper.
My cabbages!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 04:47:32 pm »

I would like getting a sleeper police officer up the ranks, until he is the head of the police. Then, instead of sending in your own squads to attack the CCS, just send in a SWAT team. Heh.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 05:04:41 pm »

One new point: I think we could break down college students by Major, they could be recruited at college, and move into sleeper positions in different jobs. The same data field could be used for specialities in other professions. jobs rank should be another field for sleepers, (which is the year of college for students)

The promotion pathway i was thinking of would be quite slow actually, it would take months or years to infiltrate high-levels. So it wouldn't be an "always win" button by itself, just a new pathway.

Maybe allow targeted assassinations of existing high-profile NPC, which would create job openings for your sleepers. That would give a new game-mechanic to getting your sleepers into positions of control.

Those suggestions of risk should apply to all sleepers, really. At the moment you just dazzle some super-conservative hanging judge and then he's your slave for life. Love slaves / recruits need no further attention or dates, this, by itself is not very realistic.

Maybe have exposure to very conservative fields gain wisdom, and lower heart. I'd actually have promotion efforts add juice at the same time, but risk your sleeper leaving if they lose heart too much. Maybe we can add a new liberal activity, which is to motivate your underlings, which would include sleepers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:07:29 pm by Reelya »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:48 am »

I think getting sleepers in enough major branches of government should just be an instant win, if you manage to pull it off. Probably with a note in the high score list to show that instead of liberalizing the country, you became the Illuminati. Another alternate ending I can think of would be depopulating the US by killing around 300000000 people.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »

Screw that, cause a global thermonuclear war. You can rebuild a liberal society from the irradiated ashes.
My cabbages!