Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The smallest mistake that caused you the biggest fallout.  (Read 8257 times)

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: The smallest mistake that caused you the biggest fallout.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 03:07:02 pm »

Well, my current has a lot of firsts as far as design goes. I made a great big spiral ramp for the fortress, complete with a waterfall flowing down the middle. The inside edges near the waterfall are even exposed to sunlight to help prevent cave adaptation. Well, I've only ever used gravity waterfall before this. Building under aquafiers or rivers and channeling. This time, I made an elaborate pump stack to bring water to above my fortress and rain it down the center of my spiral staircase.

I didn't make so much as a waterfall as a downward shooting watercannon. I turn it on and immediately about 15 dwarves are caught in the waterblast and blown down center 15 z's to a splatty, watery grave.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 03:53:55 pm »

Didnt excessive science show that child care was largely inefficient?
Since when it is any problem whatsoever?
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 06:59:47 pm »

I gave a goblinite iron whip to my captain of the guard once. He started a massive tantrum spiral, then a one-handed woodcutter chopped off his head. The woodcutter was then elected mayor. Mayor of the 3 surviving dwarves.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 07:12:46 pm »

I had two levels of aquifer leading to a two year delay in breaching it, leading to a constant 60+ party, and many dwarfs with legendary social skills. Lost five dwarfs afterwards due to stupidity while trying to build magma forges. Right when the spiral started, someone smashed the drawbridge control levels which caused them to be locked open. A necromancer showed up. I had a walled up vampire but I ended up hitting abandon after that ...

(I've had two forts go up in smoke one right after another when I try to build magma forges. Maybe I shouldn't ...)
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »

On an old fort I decided to have an emergency lever to seal off my whole fort in case of danger.  There was only one entrance to the fort and was sealed by a hatch.  At the time I did not realize that once you attach a hatch (or any kind of door) to a lever then it can only be opened by the lever.  My fort did not have booze and the only water source was a nearby brook.  I didn't realize my mistake until the entire fort (except for a lone hunter trapped outside) died of thirst.
Worship!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »

My fort took a long time to dig through the aquifer. When we finally got through, I went straight ahead designating out a grand dining hall, farm areas, bedrooms etc, on the level below... Then I decided to put the butcher areas above the animal pens, and of course I ran into the aquifer again.

Whole dining room and farm areas flooded. Luckily the leak was quite slow so I had time to seal it off from the main staircase (which would have ended the fort), and eventually drained the water into a nice big reservoir. But I lost several dwarves due to being trapped behind the water, and several more in draining the water. Needless to say I'm now more careful around aquifers.

Later on, in the aftermath of a moderate tantrum spiral brought on by a bronze colossus killing half the fortress (I didn't quite understand how ramps worked back then, but that's another story) I had trouble with a berserk dwarf running around killing migrants. In order to stop it in its tracks I appointed an ex-miner as militia commander... but actually I'd mistakenly picked captain of the guard, and I'd never had a justice system before... The first thing he did was lodge his pick in the skull of the mayor, then half a dozen more dwarves, before I could convince him to stop. It was horrible (He didn't even kill the berserk dwarf, either, a speardwarf got there first)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 04:46:50 am »

The (Legendary +5, wielding a ☼steel pick☼ -ed.) Miner has gone berserk!

So... much... blood...  :'(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 10:08:24 pm »

The (Legendary +5, wielding a ☼steel pick☼ -ed.) Miner has gone berserk!

So... much... blood...  :'(

Mayor: Order the military to fall back! FALL BACK! Seal him away! Don't fight him, lock the doors!
Captain: But won't he mine his way past the door...?
Mayor: Shh, he's too angry to think of that! We'll starve him out!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 06:16:38 am »

I was building magma reservioir, but because I felt lazy I used just magma safe door instead of wall in it.

Guess what was the first thing tantrum dwarves broke.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 09:50:01 am »

My attempt at a "fair danger room" went off without a hitch, except I forgot to account for the tantrum spiraling a mass-baby death could cause.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 09:58:00 am »

They can train as miners once they're grown, and that seems to increase future soldiers' physical stats just fine without the potential for death and maiming.
You'd like to think that wouldn't you! (So many... Armok's Beard, so many)

Hmm... my two biggest are these.

Last 2010 fort: "Ha between my walls, drawbridge and magma moat, My fortress is impenetrable." Yeah... I built my fort into the side of a mountain, and didn't build a ceiling... Goblin bowmen suck.

Previous 2012 fort: I'm going to mine out the top of my mountain because it's in the way... I forgot about the tunnel, but I remembered... six z-levels and a dozen dwarves later. :(
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 05:49:27 pm »

Channeling.  Of course.

This was an early fort of mine, I had dug most of it just one layer down, in soil.  I was channeling a river to create a sort of moat for the fort, forgetting to check where my fort's tunnels were.

Cue river pouring into the dining room.  But it gets better.
The river freezes.  Because part of it was open to air (I had channeled it, of course), it created a half-semi-glacier thing in my dining hall.  Which insta-froze and killed two dwarves.

Cue butcher going berserk and spending the next three months chasing some poor hapless shmuck around the countryside.  Two other dwarves became melancholy.

This was literally in the first winter of the fort, so I only had fifteen dwarves or so.  With two dead, one berserk, two melancholy, and the rest most likely to snap once the melancholy ones died or the butcher finally caught his victim, I abandoned.

Moral: check where you're channeling, always!

Related story: digging magma channel from a volcano. Miner who broke the seal catches fire and dies instantly.  Didnt forbid his stuff, so another dwarf runs to save his socks.  He catches fire but DOESN'T die instantly, much to my chagrin, as he sprints out of the magma channel, igniting grass and creating a roaring inferno that quickly burns up just about all of my embark stuff plus all the beds and barrels and bins and booze I had up to that point.  Half the map met its end in an apocalyptic firestorm, and the other half, the three dwarves on the "safe" side of the channel, decided they'd rather throw themselves into the magma rather than live in this misery (they went melancholy).

What is it with me and channeling...
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.
Pages: 1 2 [3]