Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Different cuts of meat?  (Read 3871 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Different cuts of meat?
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:52:09 am »

So right now, the food system when it comes down to meat, we only have "simply" "[ANIMAL] meat" - and while we have over a hundred types of meat, it's just the same meat over and over.

Could it be possible to split up the meat furthermore (the initially picked up meat is still classified as meat) into steaks, ribs, loins and whatnot, similar to other organs?
This could also give dwarves more fussy, since Urist McOne would prefer, like, giant eagle loin, whereas Urist McTwo would love llama steak instead. (assuming they already tend to gusta in meat of one creature or another)

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different cuts of meat?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:35:16 pm »

This could work.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 01:07:25 pm »

This could work.

At least, not another multiplayer or magic suggestion, is it?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »

This could work.
That's always nice.

What would cuts of meat be for weirder creatures, like dragons or flesh balls? And then there are titans...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:18:58 pm »

There is also trimmed cuts (I don't know what a cut is called if it is cut not to have any fat)

D34dlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »

Cuts would probably be procedurally generated by the body parts the animal has. So Dragon would be covered easily if done at all. Flesh balls might be cut into wedges or cubes. If butchery is being upgraded would a smokehouse workshop be a good idea? Jerky & smoked meat sound like they could be nice things for Dwarfs to burn trees for.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 02:14:19 pm »

This could work.
That's always nice.

What would cuts of meat be for weirder creatures, like dragons or flesh balls? And then there are titans...

We could have like certain "meat_preset" tokens kind of thing, and variables attachable, so like:
meat_preset 1 - standard real-life-based cuts for animals like cows, pigs and other stuff alike
meat_preset 2 - flesh balls (cubes, wedges, more balls)
meat_preset 3 - etc.

To clarify, I don't quite know if tokens work that way, don't blame me here.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 02:16:24 pm »

Surely there are enough different kinds of butcher remains already? Having to go through the trade agreement menu to request meat is already a pain.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:16:19 pm »

I would like this kind of thing. I remember Toady mentioning using proper offal names for the organs at some point but I can't find it at the moment.

I'm not sure what you'd do for some animals. Do you base them on pork or beef cuts? I'm not sure if there are even English names for all the cuts of all the meat we eat (reptiles, dogs, cats, etc).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

D34dlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 12:15:20 am »

This game is about the details. It's the depth that makes things seem less bland. My guess is it's not going to happen soon unless we can compile a list to make it easy for Toady to put it in. The time it would take him to research it himself could probably be better spent elsewhere, but he has put stuff in the game if it's well researched & organized before. The real weight/mass of types of stone being one example.

Beyond "cut" the only other thing I can think of to add to meat would be meta data on the animals condition when it was killed. If hunted it would be gamey, if pasture feed it would be grassy, if starving it would be stringy, if fat it would be well marbled, & so on.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 06:23:08 am »

I think that having hunted animals always taste different from pastured animals would be, pardon the pun, gamey. A pasture-fed cow under stress like a wild one for whatever reason would taste pretty much like a real one.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 06:38:40 am »

I think at the present state of the game, with cooking being pretty basic, having more different types of meat would be make things worse not better. Even when cooking is improved, I don't think there is much to be gained from this. Complexity can be bad, even in dwarf fortress.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 01:12:05 pm »

I think at the present state of the game, with cooking being pretty basic, having more different types of meat would be make things worse not better. Even when cooking is improved, I don't think there is much to be gained from this. Complexity can be bad, even in dwarf fortress.

No I agree. The current game would handle this like nitro on a roller coaster.

Though the biggest issue IMO is that a lot of creatures do not have these cuts.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 03:42:48 pm »

I modded this a while back, it includes basic and more advanced cuts of meat.  The pork is named after pork cuts, the beef is named after beef cuts, and the fowl is named after parts of birds.  Every animal in creature_domestic and then some are given cuts of meat.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5897
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 08:48:09 pm »

would that introduce quality to the cuts?

I mean you could cut a steak like a steak, or (ahem) butcher it into a big piece of stew meat.

How would a mutilated cut work?
Pages: [1] 2