Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Trees, man.  (Read 34774 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Trees, man.
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2012, 04:27:58 pm »

There are sequences of z-level screenshots to show you how it looks. It is literally another world in the canopy in these images.

This makes me imagine a fort set up in these canopies, with little bearded monkeys dwarves running around, hauling stones, drinking booze, and squabbling with neighboring rhesus macaques.

Welcome to the Dwarven treehouse. No smoking, please.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2012, 05:14:13 pm »

well and good, but what would the friendly dorfs think of it?

"I told ye all! tha trees be out ta get us!"
"run for tha hills!"
"THAT'S WHERE THA TREES BE, YA FOOL!"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:17:57 pm by adasdad »
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 05:41:20 pm »

I do believe that to mitigate the risk of enemies simply climbing a tree and coming over your walls, your defensive layout will need to incorporate a simple time honored tradition.  Clear cut a certain perimeter around your walls so that the trees aren't close enough.

If ladders get added, I hope we'll have an interraction to "repel" ladders, i.e. kick them back, with or without green-skin cargo.  And as far as sappers go, concentric walls, the intervening space filled with the "surprise" of your choice.  I'm going with water +/- 1Z of grade, and poorly tempered sea bass, with lasers.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:45 pm »

What?
I just thought of something?
You know that oil we get from rock nuts?
Maybe we can boil that in a cauldron, and dump it on 'em?
I imagine that's planned, but boy would it be fine to see?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »

Considering you'd get maybe 2 cups (250ml?) at each pressing, you'd have to press a lot of nuts to get anything like a useful amount.

[Self pre-emptive fake edit: That almost sounds like a Bukkake reference.  Wonder if I should change that?  Nah!]

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »

Bay12 is the only place I know of where someone can say "Yeah... So I'm going to change the trees..." and the response they are met with is "WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!11! WEAPONIZE! MAGMAAAAA!!!1!!"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:18:44 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2012, 10:55:50 pm »

Bay12 is the only place I know of where someone can say "Yeah... So I'm going to change the trees..." and the response they are met with is "WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!11! WEAPONIZE! MAGMAAAAA!!!1!!"
That's because this place is amazing.

Considering you'd get maybe 2 cups (250ml?) at each pressing, you'd have to press a lot of nuts to get anything like a useful amount.
2 cups is about .47 ml, so for a 20 liter barrel, that would about 42 pressings.

Assorted ramblings: Will elves tie them selves to trees when you exceed the limit? How will the limit work? Forest fires? Topiary (I would barely use it, but I want it). Ninja elephants inside of elephant topiary? Trojan Elephants! Giffares and other animals eating leaves? Exposing your Trajan elephants?

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2012, 11:59:25 pm »

Pixl's guide to cutting multi-level trees.

First select the first tree you see.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next, go on break plenty of times while cutting the bastard.

Lastly be proud of what you have accomplished.

Um, sorry I got that wrong, First was suppose to be select a tree in a safe location.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012, 03:47:16 am »

[Self pre-emptive fake edit: That almost sounds like a Bukkake reference.  Wonder if I should change that?  Nah!]

Must... stop... laughing...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2012, 04:45:44 am »

i don't think we have discussed the most important issue with the tree change:

ROOTS!

The trees themselves will be the ones invading our fortresses, growing their insidious tentacle-like appendages into our corridors!
this means war!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 05:12:43 am »

There are sequences of z-level screenshots to show you how it looks. It is literally another world in the canopy in these images.

This makes me imagine a fort set up in these canopies, with little bearded monkeys dwarves running around, hauling stones, drinking booze, and squabbling with neighboring rhesus macaques.

Welcome to the Dwarven treehouse. No smoking, please.
THIS
IS
EWOK FORTRESS!!!
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 06:31:10 am »

Will we have roots ?
I haven't seen anything about this

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:42 am »

Will we have roots ?
I haven't seen anything about this
It was mentioned in the devblogs somewhere.

Ah, we're going to get a whole lot of new tree-types as well. Because there aren't fruit trees yet.
So we'll get apples, pear and oranges etc. But perhaps also grapes? Pumpkins? And coconuts in tropical areas...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2012, 06:48:28 am »

I didn't think it'd end up getting this awesome; I can't wait for the next steps. Giant mushroom houses for everyone!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2012, 07:05:28 am »

I didn't think it'd end up getting this awesome; I can't wait for the next steps. Giant mushroom houses for everyone!

:P
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15