Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Ignore My Bone Armor  (Read 1488 times)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Ignore My Bone Armor
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »

Ok.  I'm not new to this.  I've done it many times before.

I create a squad.
Put them on a schedule.
Set their uniform to metal armor.
Then, queue up bone armor to be made and they wear it automatically.

But, not this time.  All my armor is just sitting there in bins in my finished good stockpile.  My squads aren't wearing it.  It's not on any of the armor racks in the barracks.  I can't even find my bone armor listed when I go to equip specific items in the military screen.  It's like the game isn't recognizing it as wearable at all.

Is there a new toggle to adjust in the new version?  I've looked around at all the menus.  I cannot figure out why my bone armor can't be worn.

Juvante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Ignore My Bone Armor
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:36:02 pm »

Create a custom armor template, like SwordGuard or something.  Then put helm, breastplate, greaves, etc etc in the listing for what the uniform will consist of. 

Assign the uniform to the entire squadron with shift enter and they will run to the armor and pick it up.  You can repeatedly assign them the uniform if they should drop the armor for whatever reason, this can help deal with pesky bugs that occur once in awhile.

The other reason could be that they are wearing better armor instead, the armor is labeled forbidden or something is obstructing their line of sight to the item.  Locked doors, walled off passages etc can block line of sight.

Let your dwarves equip what they feel is better, not just what you "want" them to wear.  The game has a intuitive system that detects better armor for you.

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:17:31 pm »

Set their uniform to metal armor.
Then, queue up bone armor ...

see the problem?
they will only wear armor made of metal with this setting, and sadly, there seems to be no bone material setting for armor so you will have to leave it at just armor with no material qualifier, as for how to do that just refer to the helpful post of the Juvante or the wiki
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:21:13 pm »

The wiki says that bone is classified as metal and I have had them equip bone in the past by assigning metal armor.  I have never had to make a custom uniform before.

It's not forbidden, it's accessible.

All my soldiers are wearing clothes.  No armor at all.

The thing is that all the bone armor I crafted doesn't even appear in the list of specific armor on the military screen.  It's as if it doesn't exist.

EDIT: making a new custom uniform and assigning it solved the problem.  The thing is I've never had to do that before.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:58:37 pm by Hamsmagoo »

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:03 pm »

Have you already set armor to replace clothing instead of going over it? Seems that in the current version dwarves aren't as willing to wear multiple layers.

Edit: Aaaand ninja'd by OP. Glad you found a solution, though!
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:25:50 pm »

Well, actually.  Now, I noticed that they're not equipping crossbows unless I individually assign.  And they're refusing to wear helms.

Toggling replace clothing doesn't seem to help.

Now some ghostly babies scared my soldiers away from their posts, so I can't do any more troubleshooting at the moment.