Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bathtub and/or showers. My failures and solicitiation for new designs  (Read 1213 times)

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, two things routinely kill my forts.  Number one is FPS due to overpopulation and overabundance of items.  Number two, is SYNDROME, the various illnesses that come with FB contaminants.  Not as sudden or as terrifying as dust, but very often just as deadly in the end and by the time you discover what's happening, the entire fort has been contaminated.  So I've become paranoid.

The Dwarven Bathtub ( http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Uristocrat/Dwarven_Bathtub ) is fine in theory but it doesn't end up working as well as it should in practice.  Contaminants pile up at the bottom of the ramps, and if you're forcing everyone through it to get clean, you end up forcing everyone to step in the goop.  This may or may not be as much as an issue since the clothing update, since few to no dwarfs should be walking around barefoot, but I'm still paranoid.

What do you use for decontamination?  Optimally I'd like a plan for a room on the way down from the surface as well as one coming back up from the caverns.  I'd be a lot more prone to fight FBs if I could rig something reliable (mostly) to clean my guys.  I'm not shy about using magma to burn away contaminants/invaders/nobles either.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Wirdal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bathtub and/or showers. My failures and solicitiation for new designs
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:31:37 am »

I'm not sure of this idea I had as I am still fairly new to df. But is it possible to channel out the sides maybe like a 2x1 vertical, where it would be either a deep dark hole and the other a floodgate?                 

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:43 pm »

I've noticed that in the current version, contaminants in dwarven bathtubs tend to vanish over time. I used to build bathtubs with a bridge to atom smash the water, let it refill with magma to clear contaminants, atom-smash the magma, then refill with water. That requires some micro-management, and doesn't help you if a migrant leads his pet yak through the tub and the contaminant from his boots turns the yak into a hideous mucus yak thrall. (I haven't had that EXACT scenario happen yet, but it does sound nice, doesn't it?)

I wasn't able to figure out a way around one problem with showers, at least in 31.25: falling water that then falls through a floor grate cleans creatures and transports the contaminant safely down below the grate, but it also occasionally drops contaminants on the squares near the shower. I suspect this is because the shower generates mist, and the mist washes contaminants off, too. I wonder if covering the whole area with grates would help?

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:53:00 pm »

Something complex is okay, IF once I successfully build it then it's automated from then out.

And hopefully the solution doesn't involve several mist generators... cool as that is, it would kill my FPS.  Hmm unless they were turned on via pressure plate and then off again.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:29:35 pm »

I'd go with a small mist generator that is over a set of grates.  A FPS hit, but most of the options are going to involve moving water and a hit regardless.

Smallest standard design is four pumps and a single tile of water rotating through it.  That can be powered by a small number of windmills for a surface installation.

One fort that had a aquifer level had a fairly compact "shower".  Two pump in a stack that pulled water up from the aquifer and then dumped it back down through grates from above the hallway back into the aquifer through more grates.  Pumps were run by an adjacent waterwheel running off the aquifer flow.  (Looked a bit like a half-DWR with an extra pump stacked above it.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart