not really but whatever
- 15 (11.3%)
I guess so
- 12 (9%)
I don't know
- 11 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: multi tile creatures?  (Read 7286 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: multi tile creatures?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 09:07:45 pm »

Actually, at 35-40 feet, a bronze colossus would only be about four z-levels tall.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 09:11:20 pm »

Heh, fair. Something else, then. Giant Giraffe-Men? =P
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »

Actually, at 35-40 feet, a bronze colossus would only be about four z-levels tall.
A giant then. A sperm whale. A Dragon. Pick one.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 09:49:00 pm »

Hmm. Looking through the dev page, I can't actually find anything relating to multi-tile creature plans. Anyone happen to remember when (if) Toady mentioned it? Probably one of the DFTalks; I'll go have a browse through transcripts.
also
his moist amphibian skin

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 09:54:01 pm »

Its been discussed in Dwarf Talks and in the FotF thread. Probably on the old dev goal list.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 10:13:06 pm »

Ah, here we go:

Quote from: DF Talk 16
So that means ... it'll be interesting to see if, when we do the multi-tile rewrite, if that gives us further horrible ideas for deadly plants, deadly multi-tile giant trees, because the main problem with multi-tile creatures is the path finding, right? So, if you don't have to worry about the path finding because it's a plant - you know, and assuming it's not a walking plant, which it could be, but ... - if you have a giant multi-tile tree, the giant multi-tile tree can be like a dungeon of death itself by doing evil giant deadly plant things over multiple tiles and stuff so I think that sounds lot of fun, doesn't it ... or you just kind of die, I don't know if that's fun, but that's okay ...

He refers to "the multi-tile rewrite" and is lumping creatures and plants together at least a bit, so I'll take a wild leap and hope that multi-tile creatures won't be too far off. Based on two passing sentences from a year ago =D
also
his moist amphibian skin

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 10:25:26 pm »

It'll happen.
Eventually.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:43:24 pm »

Might be easier to implement with a creature graphics file that has a larger tile.  Instead of a bunch of E's you have a rather large E, or a graphical tile of an elephant, that takes up more space than usual.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:55:10 pm »

I'm putting my vote down as "Yes", but with the caveat of "Not any time soon".  By which I mean whenever Toady can make a solid implementation of it, in a way that works with his mechanics, I'll be excited to see it.  And kill it.  With Magma.

I'm seeing some kind of balancing issues coming to the forefront when talking about choke points and the like.  I actually think that is what SHOULD be one of the advantages of the Dwarf Fortress from the very beginning, that it will be difficult if not impossible for large creatures to effectively fight in the fortress.  And when in the open, larger creatures may have the upper hand.  What keeps you from completely turtling?  Well, apart from the fact that it's no !Fun!, you'd still need to deal with Caravans, and Caravans will need more than one Z of height to drive a wagon into.  So, at least 2 Z channels as far as your Trade Depot.  Strictly speculation, mind you.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 01:48:56 am »

*is kinda surprised nobody mentioned this*

I mean: It turns, it moves, it works. What could be so wrong about making more stuff 2x2 or 3x3?
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 02:51:04 am »

It will be a little more jarring now, but nothing we can't quickly get used to. And multi-tile creatures will be far too complex a thing to take care of in this release. Take, for example, the Bronze Colossus: Thing's gotta be at least 5z tall, right? So how is it gonna move? Will it just be a 5z-4x4 column? How is turning gonna work? DF recognizes 8 directions, so how do we save body part spatial relationships when it turns by 45 degrees? Or falls over? If it's got a 2- or 3-tile reach, should we be able to see its legs or arms move? And how do you make all that info easily RAW-compatible for people modding in their own creatures? Not to mention procedurally generated things like Forgotten Beasts.

I'm confident that Toady can do it, but multi-tile trees aren't much of a first step in that direction.
Bronze collossusses should destroy walls and tress or pick up trees and throw them at walls to destroy them .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:02 am »

I mean: It turns, it moves, it works. What could be so wrong about making more stuff 2x2 or 3x3?
It also no clips and often sets itself on fire :P

Still, multiple tile sponge reefs...

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 04:56:27 am »

I don't like how it blinks in and out of existance, but I'll admit that it doesn't SEEM to cause any problems(other than the ninja'd that I haven't seen happen).  I'd fear that if you have like 20 multi-tile creatures they'd lag the game somewhat, and find other problems.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 06:19:24 am »

Just chiming in to say that having small entrances to keep out big things that would kill you if they could reach you is a perfectly reasonable and time-honoured defence strategy. It's neither a reason not to have large creatures, or a reason to make small entrances useless in keeping out big things.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:45 am »

What would happen if you have a baby creature trapped in a tiny space and let him grow? Strawberry jam? Exploding walls?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5