not really but whatever
- 15 (11.3%)
I guess so
- 12 (9%)
I don't know
- 11 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: multi tile creatures?  (Read 7285 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: multi tile creatures?
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2012, 08:43:39 am »

How far away is that?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 09:08:38 am »

About 10 years at the current rate.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »

multi tile trees are gana bug me unless in a forest retreat. multi tile creatures I want to never see.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Random Spark

• Bay Watcher
  • Tales of Karma and Strategy
    • View Profile
    • My Art (Deviant Art profile)
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2012, 10:29:37 am »

multi tile trees are gana bug me unless in a forest retreat. multi tile creatures I want to never see.

The only time i want to see a multi tile tree is when those bastard elves are building homes for me to destroy.
I am an artist. I draw, write, and compose.
I am also a smartalek. I am also trying to design a game.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2012, 10:32:01 am »

More tree to burn.
More elves weeping.
MORE DAKKA FOR MY BALLISTAE.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2012, 11:56:27 am »

The difference is that a wagon checks to see if there is a path, and then it is instructed to follow it exactly. If anything changes then it just explodes rather then recalculate. The equivalent of using it's pathing for large creatures would be a dragon that would appear on your map, you would shut your doors, and then it would just die instantly.

A bit late to this thread, still reading through a bit, but I remember one (40d era) occasion where a string of wagons came onto a map, and started heading for my wagon entrance, and then hostiles arrived, from another direction.   I shut the main door on the enemies (while the wagons continued onwards, still, at their slow pace), which was a drawbridge across the 3+ width entrance concerned, and was dealing with them by various attacks led out of secondary (non-wagon-friendly) flanking doorways.

The hostiles fled, I kept my military chasing them, and the wagons (unmolested) ended up at the closed wagon-entrance.  They all went right up until that entrance, then stopped.  On the same 3x3 (plus hauling creatures? ..can't remember what they did) tiles.  I dropped the drawbridge (1xN, set up as a pseudo-wall, IYSWIM) and the wagons continued inwards.  All overlapping each other, still, though some were faster than others, I recall, so they 'blurred' back into only an overlapping line (rather than completely overlaying single entity) while they made the short way from this entrance (where they'd bunched) to the depot itself.

However, the code for wagons has likely changed (for one thing, it was withdrawn for an extended time, and I still haven't had wagons in any new version, for one reason or another, though I'm told they're back, presumably with new code), and a wagon "losing a wheel" but just keeping limping along[1] never happened, but I expect a MTC that's a quadruped with a missing leg could technically be give a MT appearance with one quarter missing.

Yeah. anyway, my opinion...  Right now, wouldn't work.  Perhaps, like MTTrees, the wall/block structure could make a MTC of significant size, but unless something like the art decision behind the appearance of 3x3 workshops (with worktops and tools 'representing' the workshop, albeit only ever in one direction) could utilise interesting CodePage-wotsit characters, I can't see anything being made that's effectively 2x2, 3x3, or even 4x4, except the most basic 'lumps of meat', or (like the cart, or indeed siege engines) luckily transposable.

In an advanced version of the DF interface (includes mutli-level effects through fading, perhaps even scaling of background characters, I could imagine a 2x2-sized version of a standard golden-yellow "L" tile being an actual 2x2 Giant Lion (or whatever)... Would also work well with non-default tilesets (another problem to look at).  Maybe I'll mock up something, before I next post here.  Or maybe I'll not have time.  Either way, I also have a few pages more of this thread to read, so what I've written may be ninjaed or irrelevant, now.  Forgive me, if it is so.

[1] Now I'm humming "Three wheels on my wagon, and I'm just rolling along!". 

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2012, 12:28:07 pm »

Yeah, that's what I don't get about MTCs: how do you make something like
##
#~#
look as recognizable as a E (or whatever)?
My wooden badge was delicious.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2012, 02:51:12 pm »

I think initial versions of MTCs should just be volumetric shapes, so that indeed, a Dragon can't enter a doorway of 1x1x1 dwarf cubic.

It then would be presented as:
Code: [Select]
DDD
DDD
DDD

Either that, or we'll only get Multi Tile creatures whenever DF decides to do graphics.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2012, 02:55:01 pm »

Well... Has anyone thought about a snake-like multi tile creature?

Lots and lots of 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 tiles all writhing about...

forward

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2012, 03:36:44 pm »

Like most things, this has propably been proposed earlier already, but it'd be cool to have some constructions on big creatures. Like an archer turret on top of war elephant. Or Roc. Or a village on top of a gigantic turtle.

What about their skeletons? It'd be cool to build a hut inside of dragon's skull & rib cage
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:39:54 pm by forward »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2012, 05:47:34 pm »

I think multi-tile creatures should approximate the shape of their symbol, as defined in their code. For instance, a 2x2 giant lion could have [SIZE:2:2:1] and [TILE:'I':'NONE:'L':'-'], making it one tile tall, and would look like
Code: [Select]
I
L-
Or something like that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »

having seen what the trees look like I think Big multi tile are going to be ascii art (at least to some extant)
small multi tile will be like  LL (lion or maybe llama?)  HH (horse) 
G
GG (from side giraffe)

a bronze colossus an ascii man, Fb's: whatever they say they are.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2012, 10:21:55 pm »

That'd open up a new can of worms. If the giant snake is in your fortress and ties itself in a knot, does the game recognize it? Would parts of multi-tile creatures react with each other? How does that get implemented across z-levels?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2012, 10:37:01 pm »

That'd open up a new can of worms. If the giant snake is in your fortress and ties itself in a knot, does the game recognize it? Would parts of multi-tile creatures react with each other? How does that get implemented across z-levels?
would the snake turn into ---- tiles when it goes left to right instead of up down?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]