Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 235346 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*
« Reply #1560 on: August 31, 2016, 05:50:11 pm »

I cannot remember if the game has both consecutive and concurrent sentencing.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: September 03, 2016, 09:53:02 am »

Ooh! Looks like guard towers and snipers are totally worth it.

Does anyone know more about the sniper towers?  Specifically, can they fire over / through fences?

I am attempting to arrange them with coverage of my yard, as well as coverage of the escape routes.

Because I am a horrible abuser of pathing, I have arranged fake escape routes for tunnelers to dig to, which will allow them to emerge "outside" but still be forced to run quite some distance before reaching freedom.  Ideally, this will be routed into some winding switchbacks covered by the sniper towers -- but if they cant fire past fences then it will simply have to be a sandy straight-away

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 03, 2016, 09:59:36 am »

Snipers can fire through fences, but not into any area that's considered indoors. And yes, that tactic of preventing tunnels works and I use it myself.

Also, put showers into your cells (you can use the same tile as the toilet, I also put a sprinkler on this tile) and replace your shower time with lockup.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: September 03, 2016, 10:38:44 am »

Snipers can fire through fences, but not into any area that's considered indoors. And yes, that tactic of preventing tunnels works and I use it myself.

Also, put showers into your cells (you can use the same tile as the toilet, I also put a sprinkler on this tile) and replace your shower time with lockup.

I think what you meant to say was put your prisoners in 24 hour solitary confinement in 1X1 cells. My one prison is so perfect, every prisoner is in queue to do solitary time. Lovely, lovely. A legendary criminal is beaten half to death every 3 hours for banging on the door of his cell, then he is healed, the door repaired and moved back into his cell for permanent solitary.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 03, 2016, 11:04:37 am »

Also, put showers into your cells

Cells?  Are those like dormitories but with only one bed?  I don't have any of those.

I think what you meant to say was put your prisoners in 24 hour solitary confinement in 1X1 cells.

Again with this "cell" business. Maybe for maxsec prisoners this is profitable.  I'll probably have to buy some land and expand a maxsec wing as some of my normal prisoners are getting too rowdy for general population. 

How do you feed them when they are on full time lockdown?  I assume a guard brings them food?  Does this not get expensive in terms of staff required?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: September 03, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »

I think what you meant to say was put your prisoners in 24 hour solitary confinement in 1X1 cells.

Again with this "cell" business. Maybe for maxsec prisoners this is profitable.  I'll probably have to buy some land and expand a maxsec wing as some of my normal prisoners are getting too rowdy for general population. 

How do you feed them when they are on full time lockdown?  I assume a guard brings them food?  Does this not get expensive in terms of staff required?

Not really. I had I think I had $400,000 to build the prison before I opened it so I just constructed the whole thing at once and collected the worst scum on earth. A little rehabilitation but mostly keeping them from escaping. Profitable? I guess. Had +$300 to $1200 at different points. Certainly got in the red at times, like when a legendary prisoner started a riot and killed 60+ guards and 20+ swat team guys.

EDIT: Also I don't build for profit. I build for prison value, then sell.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:34:44 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: September 03, 2016, 01:44:35 pm »

I did the build / sell thing for a bit, but I quickly developed a formula for it and it basically became instant funds mode.

So My current goal is start with only the default funds, and try to make a well run prison.  some times that means profit, others reform.  other times its like thunderdome with Tina Turner and Master Blaster.

I currently have a population of 145, about 2/3's medium and 1/3 low with a few random people in holding that have been promoted to max and I haven't built a wing for them yet.  I was making about 14K/day, but it is down to 13.7 after I hired a few more janitors and chefs.

I keep building and improving, so the funds stay in the 5 digits, usually between 10K and 60K.

I mostly use my Low Sec as a workforce, except the bastards dont train for a damn so they cant do very much of use.  Not sure what would make them more successful, either more frequent smaller classes, or better standard of living?  I want to have them run a forestry and carpentry factory, but I don't have much faith in them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: September 03, 2016, 03:39:53 pm »

In my experience, the one thing that really ruins reform sessions is being surpressed. It reduces the prisoner's motivation to take reform courses, or work when they are surpressed.

Sure, a sniper tower or two in a location that prisoners are forced to regularily pass is absolutely marvellous for keeping danger levels at non-existant, but I've found my prisons that do not use snipers, armed guards, or too much solitary confinement (which surpresses much faster than lockdown does) be much more succesful in getting people educated and employed.

EDIT: Here's my latest prison, I put it on the workshop before allowing prisoners in. I think I've got a decent rate of low to high quality cells in it.
I'm currently running it with medium sec intake only. With 100 population added over 10 days, I've yet to see any serious incident happen, even without hiring snipers or armed guards. I've already got 20 prisoners pass the worksho safety, and 5 pass the carpentry education within those 10 first days. That would not have happened if I had hired snipers.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756917305

EDIT: what I really don't get though, is that even though they got a few nice common rooms, with pool tables, tv, weight benches and all, my prisoners rather hang out on the canteen's benches during their free time than using the common rooms. I'm contemplating installing timed automatic doors on the canteen to lock them out outside of chow times.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:05:51 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 03, 2016, 04:43:38 pm »

Hmm, I thought maybe it was because they had zero room quality in their giant dormitory.

I'll try out building them a separate path to the canteen where they will not be in sight of the guard towers, and move my two armed guards to the newly building maxsec wing, see what happens.

I don't know how much suppression is caused by the K-9 patrols that circle their dorm 24 hours a day, sniffing the toilets.  If I remove those, there could be real problems.

Dorms are great and all, but the downside to "no compartmentalization" is that when one guy escapes, they ALL escape.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: September 03, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »

I don't think K9s surpress at all. Or at least not significantly.
Another important thing is the well-fed buff.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 03, 2016, 09:50:17 pm »

I don't think K9s surpress at all. Or at least not significantly.
Another important thing is the well-fed buff.

Last time I played, K9s delivered the ultimate form of suppression: murdering prisoners before I could get them to stop.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: September 03, 2016, 09:59:58 pm »

See, in the current chain of prisons I was building for most efficiently miserable. And that one that I had described was pretty darn good. The next prison I think I had $500,000(?) to build--and it was a cruel, brutal prison set in an old castle, but I just ran out of money.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect - Version 1.0 Release!
« Reply #1572 on: September 04, 2016, 04:35:54 am »

-Fuckin' ZOOM TO MOUSE CURSOR UWEEEEOOOOOUWEEEOOOO (as a setting.)

How the hell does this work?  I saw it all over the last video, Chris was very excited about showing it off.

I have the setting enabled in options, I've tried clicking and holding mouse buttons, and all combinations of control, alt, shift. 

It isn't that the feature isn't enabled, it is that it is broken:  instead of zooming to center, it zooms to somewhere in the upper left quadrant.  every time.  I can turn it off, and it zooms to center.  Turn it on, zooms to the upper left regardless of cursor location.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 04, 2016, 05:05:32 am »

If you're going for reform, you basically just want to avoid armed guards and sniper towers completely, except in your maxsec/entrance hall/etc. Although I do have armed guards patrol the canteen just before the prisoners go to sleep.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 04, 2016, 06:47:13 am »

Is maximum room capacity 100?  I'm gong to have to split this dormitory in three....
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107