Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 236505 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*
« Reply #1575 on: September 04, 2016, 06:26:38 pm »

EDIT: what I really don't get though, is that even though they got a few nice common rooms, with pool tables, tv, weight benches and all, my prisoners rather hang out on the canteen's benches during their free time than using the common rooms. I'm contemplating installing timed automatic doors on the canteen to lock them out outside of chow times.

I simply put all the entertainment devices in the canteen.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: March 05, 2017, 04:46:47 am »

So uhh... it's not over?  Was playing with the new update with Guard needs.  It doesn't totally work.  I found that you can't assign a kitchen to a staff canteen, but the only way to get trays reliably cleaned and set out is to have an unassigned kitchen.  There also seems to be a problem with multiple kitchens and ingredient sharing where they all pile up in your least used kitchen, so that's cool.

But really I just felt like sharing that my game just got interesting.  ~25 days in, with ~200 prisoners and the red gang has ballooned to 25 members.  They are not taking their eviction from the main yard lightly.  It doesn't help that I've put a forestry in the yard, and for the past two mornings they've gone to war with the guards equipped with axes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 05, 2017, 08:21:04 am »

Right, so Hospital Architect next please? Thanks.
I'd play this
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 05, 2017, 12:03:51 pm »

Perhaps tis time for me to design another max-sec prison.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: March 05, 2017, 12:43:08 pm »

Right, so Hospital Architect next please? Thanks.
I'd play this

I'd jump on that.

as long as it is a bit Theme hospital in terms of ridiculousness... But not Hospital Tycoon in terms of being just completely ridiculous.

-For reference sake: Theme Hospital mostly had real diseases sometimes with a changed name but a description that made it clear what it is, but otherwise they looked like normal patients who get a normal cure. Along with this there were specialty diseases which posed an extra challenge, by requiring a specific clinic for just that disease (As well Invisibility which requires a high tech scanner to deal with). Plus some diseases had issues such as being contagious or having... other issues... (Puke, or... The patients would kill your other patients).

-Hospital Tycoon on the other hand... Every single disease had to be as loud and crazy as possible... and kind of lacked the animation that made it so charming in theme hospital. Like no one could just have a cold... they had to have SUPER SNEEZING and do super sneezes every 5 seconds on a loop.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:47:55 pm by Neonivek »

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: March 05, 2017, 01:15:17 pm »

So uhh... it's not over?  Was playing with the new update with Guard needs.  It doesn't totally work.  I found that you can't assign a kitchen to a staff canteen, but the only way to get trays reliably cleaned and set out is to have an unassigned kitchen. .

I think you need to unlock DEPLOYMENT and there somehow you have to designate it as STAFF ONLY area, then it automatically turns into Staff Canteen. That´s how I remember it.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: March 05, 2017, 03:55:57 pm »

If you're going for reform, you basically just want to avoid armed guards and sniper towers completely, except in your maxsec/entrance hall/etc. Although I do have armed guards patrol the canteen just before the prisoners go to sleep.

I think it's alright to have armed guard for a reform focus, just not Soviet Gulag levels of armed guards. I do think all prisons, even the white collar minsec prisons should have a solid hour or so of suppressed fun in the yard. Seriously, make the yard have every type of furniture, add a bathroom there, get some radios and some phones and give them a solid 2 hours a day in there and you're golden. Also have armed guards patrolling around spreading the love during that time. Patrolling dogs too.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: March 05, 2017, 04:01:12 pm »

But gulags are most fun prisons.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:57 pm »

I'm having this annoying glitch where a new cellblock insists that there are no canteens accessible by the prisoners, even after building a new one just for them... ::)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 05, 2017, 10:33:18 pm »

There's something you have to do to assign a cellblock to a canteen. You have to go to the food distribution overlay view to do it IIRC.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: March 06, 2017, 12:10:22 am »

Yeah, I've got the staff canteen to work a little better now, though that was just by squeezing it in next to my main kitchen.  Trays are now in better supply, though I'm still seemingly dependant on staff meals being delivered by workers.  I believe my guards killed about 5 inmates when all the workers were busy building an extension to prison.  Kinda annoying, but it cleared some space in Maxsec, so there's that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 06, 2017, 05:11:36 am »

There's something you have to do to assign a cellblock to a canteen. You have to go to the food distribution overlay view to do it IIRC.
Oh, I know about that. It turns out the confusing layout of my prison had just caused me to miss a gap in the fence around those cells... whoops.
All sorted now.   

In other news, I just used the "freefire" button for the first time, to stop an incredibly troublesome prisoner as he attempted to escape solitary confinement!
He had been a thorn in my side for quite a while, that one. It was rather satisfying. Good riddance, Lars. Still, I'll probably miss him, he's one of the few prisoners I remembered the name of in between their outbursts. RIP.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: March 13, 2017, 04:50:00 am »

I've played PA quite a lot back when it was in development, but started to become disappointed with the way it was panning out. After a break of a year or so I thought I would give it another shot and see if it had improved. I played with a new prison for a few hours to see if my original issues with the game still held.

Below is what I added to my negative steam review. I doubt many people will see it there however, so I'll post it here. I wonder if anybody else has found ways to make the game challenging?

------

Unfortunately it was much as I expected. While there are a bunch of nice new features, the core of the game remains an unchallenging sandbox where it is almost impossible to reach any kind of fail state.

Seeking a challenge, I tried the following setup and house rules.

1. Small map. No trees for selling.
2. No grants. No workshops. The only money I would have is what I started with, and what I would be paid for looking after prisoners.
3. Permanent intake. As per intial settings, that means mostly medium sec, a few min sec. Inevitably you end up with a few people reclassed as max sec after they turn out to be crazed murders. So basically a nice mixture. 10-16 or so per day.

I hoped that at least with these conditions, I could force myself into enough of a challenge that my puzzle solving brain could have some fun. At the very least, when it all went down in flames it would be fun to watch....

Well, that was the idea. 18 days in, I've hit a population of nearly 200, and have a daily income of 11 thousand. Then I also have an extra 5-8k per day bonus when the next batch of prisoners come. It looks likely I could easily continue on in this fashion indefinitely, so I quit in disappointment. No challenge here, even using harsh house rules.

What happened? Basically, I kept the prisoners indefinitely in holding cells. You stuff a few dozen bunk beds in a single room, add some toilets and showers, and voila, you can stuff a hundred prisoners in there, no problem. As the prisoners can sleep when tired in their free time, it doesn't really matter even if you are hot-seating them. The prisoner to bed ratio was maybe 4 to 1. The shower and toilet ratios far worse. Without the need to build cells for your prisoners, you really don't have much in the way of expenses. You just hire a new guard every day, a new cook ever other day, and here and there build extra beds and stoves. Now and then you make a new room to house more people, or you expand on the canteen. It was mind numbingly simple.

Through it all I never had a single real riot. Snitchers were getting killed at a rate of one per day or so, but that had no real negative repercussions, so I didn't mind.

Two things were very clear.

1. The game remains easy to exploit. And without even trying very hard. Prisoners simply shouldn't accept me keeping them in holding cells indefinitely without getting very angry. However they just don't care. This means the game is fundamentally broken, as it makes many other features redundant. Cells? Not needed. Hence money, abundant. And workshops? Also not needed at all. Grants? Unnecessary.

2. Most other game features are also entirely unnecessary as far as keeping your prison going is concerned. Prisoners didn't care that I give them pretty much nothing in terms of services/education/family acces etc. etc. etc. You just put them in a box, give them food, beds, some clothing, heat, etc. and thats it. The only reason to have half of the features of the game (libraries, stores, classrooms, etc. etc. etc.) is for the heck of it. Because you want a better score etc.

So, my original problem with Prison Architect remains. It's fine as a sandbox to mess around in, I guess. But it isn't much of a game. You can't really lose unless you massively screw things up, and over half the features aren't technically necessary. By comparison, you can't finish a map in Theme Hospital without carefully and judiciously using all the rooms avaliable to you. You have to be clever to win at Theme Hospital. Prison Architect is maybe more like keeping some gerbils, and giving them some wheels to run in, and little plastic houses, and other fun little decorations for your own amusement. That's fine I guess, but it's not a game.

Losing is fun, as they say at Bay12. But the opposite is also true.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 13, 2017, 04:54:55 am »

My personal issue is that the game sort of cheats in terms of what goes on in the prisons.

It was really illusion breaking when I found out the weapons and drugs they found wasn't because there was any real leak, security fault, or crooked agent or anything like that. It was because they just get their hands on them.

I had a horrible drug problem I couldn't get rid of and I was wondering what was going on! I ransacked the prison daily... turns out nothing I could do except wait until the drug program kicked in full strength. Prisoners could grow drugs off the mold on their back.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107