Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please tell us why you have applied for a job at...  (Read 7798 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please tell us why you have applied for a job at...
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »

Bonus points if you go to the in-person interview wearing some other brand and still manage to put it over! ;D

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »

I always wear my Subway hat when applying to other fast food joints ;D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:07 am »

The lady said I'd lose my welfare check if I didn't apply.
Perfect answer!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 02:03:26 pm »

Bonus points if you go to the in-person interview wearing some other brand and still manage to put it over! ;D

Would be hard for me, I really do only wear Red Wing work boots.  Haven't found anyone else that can fit an 11 1/2 H wide correctly, let alone fit it with footwear that can stand having the hell beat out of it all the time for five or ten years.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 04:36:14 pm »

Unless Hubris Incalculable has been agonising over what to put on this form for almost a month I don't think our brilliant advice will be able to help him anymore.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 05:00:07 pm »

It's not a terribly uncommon question, and some job searches can last well over a month.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 05:28:24 pm »

I suppose you have done some research on the company for your cover letter (if not, get of your lazy ass, open up their website and look in the press release, company profile and mission statement sections). So, what part of that really interested you?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 11:41:16 am »

Would be hard for me, I really do only wear Red Wing work boots.  Haven't found anyone else that can fit an 11 1/2 H wide correctly, let alone fit it with footwear that can stand having the hell beat out of it all the time for five or ten years.
Seriously? o_O
Oh man.
I've never had a piece of footwear last more than eight months or so. Maybe I should check them out.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 12:01:02 pm »

The correct answer is more likely to be "Because it has been my life dream to work at this company and my extreme ambition won't let me settle for anything less."

This will get past middle management, but will get your application burned by senior management (or the rare intelligent middle management), who are generally very anti-BS.

Don't say you're in it for money. It's an insulting answer. You're saying that they're stupid for not thinking that you want money, and you're saying that if they stop giving you more and more money, you'll just quit for the next job that outbids them. It's not even a witty answer, because everyone else will say the same thing, thinking that they're all witty and honest.

Just tell them why you want to work there. What do you find at all attractive about them? What do you like about the job? Every employer wants a little passion, this is where you show it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:54:52 pm by Ogdibus »
Pages: 1 [2]