Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please tell us why you have applied for a job at...  (Read 7764 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please tell us why you have applied for a job at...
« on: September 26, 2012, 02:50:07 pm »

So, I'm filling out an online application for a job, and I cam across the question above. What sort of answer are they looking for?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please tell us why you have applied for a job at...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:51:19 pm »

One that indicates you actually want to work at THAT company instead of A company.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:52:23 pm »

One that indicates you actually want to work at THAT company instead of A company.
^

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:35:58 pm »

Thought it depends upon who is reviewing it.

There are a minority of people who hate being bullshitted even when it is socially approved. If you say "for money" and the reviewer is one of these honesty-lovers, you are certain to be hired. If not you almost certainly will not, though.

It would be better if you saw them in person to judge what kind of person they are, but since that isn't the case I wouldn't recommend my advice.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:48:49 pm »

Even the honesty lovers wouldn't mind you /honestly/ stating you want to work for /this/ company for a particular reason.

Interviews are expensive, and from personal experience most places don't want people who would put "for the money", because they don't want someone who is going to bail at the end of the interview process (or a couple weeks into the job) for a job that pays a little bit more.

Though I suppose it depends on the industry and level of the job as well. But mostly this question, to me, has always been comparative. "Why have you applied here that doesn't apply to the other places you've applied"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 05:21:59 pm »

I heard you guys have great office coffee machines. - why I chose your company.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:24:32 am »

Because of the great contributions the company makes to the local community/charities.  Because of the high potential that my hard work will result in advancement within the company.  Because this is the field I have always wanted to work in and your company appears to be the best within the field.

In other words lie.  Job applications and interviews essentially test two things between them.  Who can bend the truth most convincingly, and who has the best suit.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:30:21 am »

In other words lie.  Job applications and interviews essentially test two things between them.  Who can bend the truth most convincingly, and who has the best suit.

Hilarious, horrible, and more or less true for the non-credential related sections if you're in a professional field.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:20 am »

Programming still has all that, but with a skill project and exam thrown in before the interview stage. And the interviews..  god, 4 hour interviews being grilled by half the software engineering team...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 12:06:25 pm »

It really does depend on the job but you have to learn how to tailor your bullshit, because that's really what they know or should know they are asking for.

"After researching the industry, I found [your company] to carry the highest quality [product and or service] with an excellent work environment. After [insert fact about how long the company has been doing business] years in business, clearly [your company] is a longstanding and respectable institution where I can make a difference in [something about the job description or more generally providing that company's goods/service]. I would be proud to be a contributing part of [your company].

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 01:17:34 pm »

Yeah it's a question to let you show that you've done even 5 minutes of research on the company.  If you have, it will put you ahead of the probably 80% that are just spamming out resumes with generic cover letters.  Depends on the job of course, but up to a point the more you can find out in advance the better especially as you go further in the hiring process - you want to have a couple of good knowledgable questions about the company.  And if you're meeting people in the department it will make you a lot more memorable if you can say "I've been reading (guy X in the department's) blog postings about (cool technology Y that they are using) and since I've (something similar Z that you've done or at worst studied) I am especially eager to blah blah blah...

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 10:42:11 pm »

Well, I guarantee you that the answer is not "Because I need a steady paycheck so I can pay my bills."

The correct answer is more likely to be "Because it has been my life dream to work at this company and my extreme ambition won't let me settle for anything less."
I'm back!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 10:43:37 pm »

Well, I guarantee you that the answer is not "Because I need a steady paycheck so I can pay my bills."

The correct answer is more likely to be "Because it has been my life dream to work at this company and my extreme ambition won't let me settle for anything less."
Might backfire if you're applying to something like McDonalds.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 10:48:09 pm »

The lady said I'd lose my welfare check if I didn't apply.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20:32 pm »

It's probably way too wordy, but I got a pretty positive response in a phone interview with Red Wing Shoes with this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2