Shipbuilding only
Smithing only
Mining and shipbuilding
Mining and smithing
Shipbuilding and smithing
All of the above
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45

Author Topic: Feudalism Rethought  (Read 36421 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Rethought
« Reply #645 on: October 25, 2012, 10:35:08 pm »

Why don't we what? Tacticus? Why does that sound familiar?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 25, 2012, 10:36:06 pm »

Put me on the PM list.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:13 pm »

And me
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 25, 2012, 11:16:07 pm »

post to watch and wait for pms.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:32 am »

Why don't we what? Tacticus? Why does that sound familiar?
Freeform roleplay. A game of it pops up every now and then, then quickly dies.

Anyway, rule ideas.

Rather than managing food supply and demand by adding or removing farmers, fishermen etc from your labour pool, the game uses a single population self sufficiency tracker. This indicates which percentage of the population is needed to provide food for the others. Building farms, fisheries and others will decrease this percentage, but those only function untill a certain population pressure, or as long as you have the money to pay for them.

Villages.

These are little self sufficient settlements that can be attached to all of your others Cities, forts or outposts. Constructing a village cost 5% of that cities population (There's a min pop required) some money, and some resources. There are multiple types of villages.
-Farming/fishing village: Decreases pop needed for food with 10%
-Mining village: Produces resources, increases pop needed for food with 5%
-Harbour: Allows trade
-Military outpost: Increases Defense, increases pop needed for food with 5%

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2012, 02:47:12 am »

You need a levy rule
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 26, 2012, 10:14:10 am »

You need a levy rule
I suppose those will be based on (useable) population, which is your cities population minus those needed for food supply.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 26, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »

How would you arm or feed the levy? If they are being soldiers you would run out of food. Plus I doubt anyone would have weapons and armor for thousands of men to spare.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 26, 2012, 01:24:47 pm »

How would you arm or feed the levy? If they are being soldiers you would run out of food. Plus I doubt anyone would have weapons and armor for thousands of men to spare.
That'll be part of seperate rules of course. What I gave is only a part of the rules, of course. I'm not making an entire ruleset at the moment.

If I were to do it, I'd use a supply and unit mechanic. For example, you want to draft one unit of militia, which occupies 100 pop and some popularity loss. This gives you:
1 Militia [Attack:1 Def:1 HP: X/X Morale: X].

You don't have to care about the food for your army, since the pop is still counted as being in the city, and therefore being taken care of. Weapons are paid for at start(and define attack and defense), and you might be able to implement maintenance costs as a balancing factor too.

When the army gets on the move, things get interesting. As long as there's a route towards the city they originated from, they'd get their supplies from there. (Maybe a cost for transport). When supply is incertain, supply caravans are spawned at the city, and need to be moved to the army. Besides, calculating from selfsufficience to numbers isn't that hard.

Spoiler: Example city (click to show/hide)

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 26, 2012, 03:49:14 pm »

(( I guess but given that weapons have to be forged you'd be limited to probably leather armor tops and pitchforks unless your very lucky or have just lost half your army and recovered the dead mens equipment. In the long run it'd probably be better to simply surrender rather then throw a levy unit into a fight it could never win and lose even more of your population. In game's where you can raise 10000+ levy units it makes sense but in this with the limited population you could not raise enough for them to do anything but commit suicide throwing them on the enemies weapons, assuming they don't get turned into human pin cushions first. ))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 27, 2012, 11:16:55 am »

(( I guess but given that weapons have to be forged you'd be limited to probably leather armor tops and pitchforks unless your very lucky or have just lost half your army and recovered the dead mens equipment. In the long run it'd probably be better to simply surrender rather then throw a levy unit into a fight it could never win and lose even more of your population. In game's where you can raise 10000+ levy units it makes sense but in this with the limited population you could not raise enough for them to do anything but commit suicide throwing them on the enemies weapons, assuming they don't get turned into human pin cushions first. ))
Those are all symboliwed as recruitment costs, and exampled with the attack and defense as well as morale stats. The age you're talking about is inpersonated by having armies from poor peasants lead by knights who had not tactical sense. Alsom nothing prevents you from equiping your militia.

That being said, a rich city will have a well equiped armory, and walls. One peasant with rocks on a wall could beat 5 knights on the ground. Since the militia pays for it's own weaponry, the richer the city the better equiped the militia will be. You can have militia knights and foot soldiers, as well as militia archers. Though now militia do deserve their own rules. Maybe something like this:

Spoiler: Militia (click to show/hide)

Keep in mind that these are only suggestions. All numbers are aproximate. For the troops , you could use a system of trais, and maybe simulate tactics too, like in HOTRS.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 27, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »

But in this you have to mine for metal and make weapons and the current system that was being used meant in a month you could arm and armor maybe 35-40 men.
You could probably use that system to go with cloth,bone,leather armor but above that I doubt anybody would have metal enough spare to outfit a militia force unless they did so specifically long before they needed it.
Unless he changes that systems no player in the game king included would have a stocked armory if you were lucky or greedy you might have enough for a few hundred men but thats about all.
But I liked that system anyway it meant you had to be very careful with your army because losing men and equipment would take a long time to replace.

That is a good system though it'll just depend what changes he makes to the rules to if it fits or how strong levy troops can become.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:57:51 pm by mesor »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 28, 2012, 01:25:51 am »

You can easily chaage the numbers, and make one unit count 50 men or even less.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 28, 2012, 01:29:14 am »

True enough but in a game with a population this small if you throw men away as levy units they will take a long time to replace and the loss will cost you.
If you reach the point of needing levy units you'd probably be better off just surrendering.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 28, 2012, 01:55:37 am »

True enough but in a game with a population this small if you throw men away as levy units they will take a long time to replace and the loss will cost you.
If you reach the point of needing levy units you'd probably be better off just surrendering.
It depends. Besides, having the option to do it even if it's often a bad idea is good.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45